iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

HD engine that has not run in 6 years.

Started by Weekend_Sawyer, January 09, 2011, 02:31:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weekend_Sawyer

I just picked up a nice project bike. It has been sitting for 6 years. I plan on changing out all fluids and squirting a little oil in each cylander and mabe cleaning out the carb float bowl before trying to start it.

Anyone have any suggestions on something I am missing/need to do before trying to fire it up?

Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

logwalker

Find the Pilot jet and make sure it is clean. If you find the bowl is real fouled take the carb and have it lightly boiled in solvent and then blow all the passages. Put some Sea Foam in the new gas and fog some into the intake after it  starts.

And oh yeah, take of the Ape hangers.  ;)
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

red oaks lumber

take the carb right off the bike dismantle the carb compeltly spraying everything with carb cleaner, reassemble. drain the gas tank you should be good to go after that.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

b dukes

All you can really do is what the others have suggested.  Looks like a nice bike.  What are you plans for it?

Raider Bill

Heck with all of that just fire that baby up and take it for a ride!!!!!!!

Better yet don't touch anything and I'll be there tomorrow with my truck!

Log Walker, if you knew how big weekends sawyer is you'd see that what you call ape hangers are drag bars to him! :D :D
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

SPIKER

Dont forget to check over and change brake system and drive chain/belt/shaft depending on model.   Pull the axles and clean re-lube bearings ect.  Ya never know what shape it was left when stored.

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Raider Bill

Is that a boo boo on the tank?

I can see visions of a bar hopper being built! :) :)

barbender

If it works don't fix it- I'd check the oil and crank 'er up. But, if it has been sitting that long you probably want to go over the whole thing, strange things happen when they sit. Mice filling air cleaners with a nest comes to mind :(
Too many irons in the fire

Tom

Yep, I'd check the breaks and tires and see if it would make it around the block.  :D   If it did, I might have to see how many it would make it around.  ;D

Weekend_Sawyer

Thanks, good suggestions all. Bill, if you show up bring tools, beer and a white flag!

Tires are shot, front rim is dented. Gas tank is dented too, his daughter bumped the bike in the carport and it fell over into a pole. She is expected to recover.  The good thing is that he gave me the original spoked rims, tanks and fenders. The apes are going. I plan on starting off with all the original parts because Maryland is a stickler about handlebar height, turnsignals, reflectors, you name it.  My longterm vision for it is for a bar hoppin bobber but whoknows, I might fall inlove with it stock.

Jon

Raider Bill

With that springer front end it will make a great looking bobber!
Have you decided on a color yet? ;D

Weekend_Sawyer

yup, flat black with red pinstriping flames  8)

Raider Bill

That will look sharp!

It only got to 65 today so my dog and I had to wear our leather.

Yesterday I was riding in a t-shirt.

Weekend_Sawyer

28 here, no ridin for me till it gets to atleast 35. ;D

Raider Bill

Check out my fighter jet pilot helmet!  People mistake me for Maverick on Top Gun! :D :D :D :D

Weekend_Sawyer

DouginUtah

Here is how Raider Bill made it to Michigan...

www.fridaypage.com/images/fridaypage/070805_ghostrider.wmv (3.23)

(Just kidding, Bill.)
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

pigman

Bill, that does look like Tom Cruise riding in front. ;)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Raider Bill

Quote from: DouginUtah on January 09, 2011, 09:57:18 PM

Here is how Raider Bill made it to Michigan...

www.fridaypage.com/images/fridaypage/070805_ghostrider.wmv (3.23)
(Just kidding, Bill.)

WOW! Can you image pulling a wheel stand at those speeds!  I'd like to give it a shot! Fastest I've ever been on a bike is 202 and that was everything that bike had. On a Harley the fastest is 126.

That blond on the front of my bike is the heroine of the movie! She loves to ride.

CLL

Crap, I was sitting at a stop light and ended up with a artificial hip from a Yamaha Virago, crashing at 202 is an experience you all can have, I'm to old and to scared to ride like that anymore.
Too much work-not enough pay.

Weekend_Sawyer

I got it running, The Sea Foam I soaked the cylanders with really causes it to smoke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUBUQ53xwu4

Jon

Raider Bill

Jon,

I'll give you $100 CASH money for that bike so you don't hurt yourself. :D

Weekend_Sawyer

Watch out for the shotgun barrel when you turn into the driveway! :o

Raider Bill

You wouldn't shoot a Brother would you? :D

I like to sound of those trumpet pipes.

Weekend_Sawyer

Na Bill, I'm just so proud of that 870 pump I want everyone that pulls in the driveway to see it  ;)

I changed the oil again and took it out for a spin. Straingest feeling bike I ever rode. I like it. Might just keep those apes on it. Those trumpet pipes really snarl between shifts. I changed the oil yet again and am chasing some wiring problems.

Jon

Thank You Sponsors!