iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

HD engine that has not run in 6 years.

Started by Weekend_Sawyer, January 09, 2011, 02:31:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weekend_Sawyer

I just picked up a nice project bike. It has been sitting for 6 years. I plan on changing out all fluids and squirting a little oil in each cylander and mabe cleaning out the carb float bowl before trying to start it.

Anyone have any suggestions on something I am missing/need to do before trying to fire it up?

Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

logwalker

Find the Pilot jet and make sure it is clean. If you find the bowl is real fouled take the carb and have it lightly boiled in solvent and then blow all the passages. Put some Sea Foam in the new gas and fog some into the intake after it  starts.

And oh yeah, take of the Ape hangers.  ;)
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

red oaks lumber

take the carb right off the bike dismantle the carb compeltly spraying everything with carb cleaner, reassemble. drain the gas tank you should be good to go after that.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

b dukes

All you can really do is what the others have suggested.  Looks like a nice bike.  What are you plans for it?

Raider Bill

Heck with all of that just fire that baby up and take it for a ride!!!!!!!

Better yet don't touch anything and I'll be there tomorrow with my truck!

Log Walker, if you knew how big weekends sawyer is you'd see that what you call ape hangers are drag bars to him! :D :D
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

SPIKER

Dont forget to check over and change brake system and drive chain/belt/shaft depending on model.   Pull the axles and clean re-lube bearings ect.  Ya never know what shape it was left when stored.

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Raider Bill

Is that a boo boo on the tank?

I can see visions of a bar hopper being built! :) :)

barbender

If it works don't fix it- I'd check the oil and crank 'er up. But, if it has been sitting that long you probably want to go over the whole thing, strange things happen when they sit. Mice filling air cleaners with a nest comes to mind :(
Too many irons in the fire

Tom

Yep, I'd check the breaks and tires and see if it would make it around the block.  :D   If it did, I might have to see how many it would make it around.  ;D

Weekend_Sawyer

Thanks, good suggestions all. Bill, if you show up bring tools, beer and a white flag!

Tires are shot, front rim is dented. Gas tank is dented too, his daughter bumped the bike in the carport and it fell over into a pole. She is expected to recover.  The good thing is that he gave me the original spoked rims, tanks and fenders. The apes are going. I plan on starting off with all the original parts because Maryland is a stickler about handlebar height, turnsignals, reflectors, you name it.  My longterm vision for it is for a bar hoppin bobber but whoknows, I might fall inlove with it stock.

Jon

Raider Bill

With that springer front end it will make a great looking bobber!
Have you decided on a color yet? ;D

Weekend_Sawyer

yup, flat black with red pinstriping flames  8)

Raider Bill

That will look sharp!

It only got to 65 today so my dog and I had to wear our leather.

Yesterday I was riding in a t-shirt.

Weekend_Sawyer

28 here, no ridin for me till it gets to atleast 35. ;D

Raider Bill

Check out my fighter jet pilot helmet!  People mistake me for Maverick on Top Gun! :D :D :D :D

Weekend_Sawyer

DouginUtah

Here is how Raider Bill made it to Michigan...

www.fridaypage.com/images/fridaypage/070805_ghostrider.wmv (3.23)

(Just kidding, Bill.)
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

pigman

Bill, that does look like Tom Cruise riding in front. ;)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Raider Bill

Quote from: DouginUtah on January 09, 2011, 09:57:18 PM

Here is how Raider Bill made it to Michigan...

www.fridaypage.com/images/fridaypage/070805_ghostrider.wmv (3.23)
(Just kidding, Bill.)

WOW! Can you image pulling a wheel stand at those speeds!  I'd like to give it a shot! Fastest I've ever been on a bike is 202 and that was everything that bike had. On a Harley the fastest is 126.

That blond on the front of my bike is the heroine of the movie! She loves to ride.

CLL

Crap, I was sitting at a stop light and ended up with a artificial hip from a Yamaha Virago, crashing at 202 is an experience you all can have, I'm to old and to scared to ride like that anymore.
Too much work-not enough pay.

Weekend_Sawyer

I got it running, The Sea Foam I soaked the cylanders with really causes it to smoke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUBUQ53xwu4

Jon

Raider Bill

Jon,

I'll give you $100 CASH money for that bike so you don't hurt yourself. :D

Weekend_Sawyer

Watch out for the shotgun barrel when you turn into the driveway! :o

Raider Bill

You wouldn't shoot a Brother would you? :D

I like to sound of those trumpet pipes.

Weekend_Sawyer

Na Bill, I'm just so proud of that 870 pump I want everyone that pulls in the driveway to see it  ;)

I changed the oil again and took it out for a spin. Straingest feeling bike I ever rode. I like it. Might just keep those apes on it. Those trumpet pipes really snarl between shifts. I changed the oil yet again and am chasing some wiring problems.

Jon

Raider Bill

With those apes which at your height shouldn't be too radical or above your heart and the springer FE that bike would look dang good as a hopper. I've found if you keep the apes below your heart things don't go to sleep as fast.  Those soft tails  have a different ride altogether.
Got to feel like a sportster to you coming off the Glide?

Piston

Glad you found a bike to tinker with, I'm still having reservations on selling mine, just can't pull the trigger yet   :)
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Raider Bill

I think I'm going to re-buy a 80-80 inop . A friend passed away 12 years ago and his widow sold it to me and I sold it to another friend who never did anything to it. He needs money now and has offered it to me at the same price I sold it to him at.
Hasn't run in 15 years to the best of my knowledge.

The bike was ridden here from Alaska back in  87.

Weekend_Sawyer

Piston, What I do when I am not sure what to do is do nothing. Unless a truck is bearing down on you or the wife or the bank are standing over you with rollin pins there is no penalty for hesitating.

Bill, I hope you get the 8080. And yes riding this bike is like steping from a luxury car into an old hotrod. Which is exactly what I want.

I spent the evening taking off the tanks and starting to troubleshoot electrical problems. Now the fun starts!

Jon

Weekend_Sawyer

Now that it's naked I can clean it up real good. Fix the wiring problems and start building it my way. Fun, fun fun!

Paul_H

Looking good,what a great winter project  8)
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Mooseherder

It's also nice to have a lift like that when you're 50. :)
Working on the ground stinks.

Weekend_Sawyer

Yup, my back doesn't like me sittin on a bucket leaning into my work... er play.

Raider Bill

Those lifts are the only way to play! A cinder block and bucket at our age is rough. Actually It was always rough but we do what we have to.

Jon, Bought the 80-80 will probably be next winters project.

submarinesailor

"will probably be next winters project"

Winter, what winter? ::) ::) ::)  You don't have a winter. ;D ;D ;D

Bruce

Raider Bill

Weekend_Sawyer

Glad to hear it Bill, lets see some pix.
Is it a Sturgus?

Raider Bill

Not a Sturgis it's chain drive secondary.
Pix will be delayed as the bikes in Tenn. I'll bring it back to Florida next trip.
Thinking building it as a bobber  actually. Got a new GF got to be in style!

Norm

The heck with a bike I want to see pics of the girlfriend.  ;D

isawlogs

My thoughts too !!!    smiley_paparazzi
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Weekend_Sawyer

A new bike project and new GF. you are livin the dream!

Raider Bill

Wonder which will give me less trouble? :D :-*

Mooseherder

Bill, Just get a GFI for da GF in case of overload. ;D

Raider Bill

This is my lift. The sides detach so you can use it for bikes, quads etc. The back plate slides out so you can pull the rear tire without jacking the bike up.
I bought 2 one for Tenn and one for Fl.

pigman

Bill got to thinking about his bike, or was it his new GF and forgot to include the picture. I will help him out since he is distracted.

Raider Bill

Must have been the new bike!
Thanks for watching my 6!

Weekend_Sawyer

Distractions are nice.

I like that table, Mine has the removable rear tire drop thingamawhitchet too.
I should have bought it years ago.

Now I'm wondering why Pigman has a picture of your bike lift. Have you checked your garadge latley?

isawlogs

How close is Bob the Tenessee  ???  Seeing as Bill is so fond of that Floridian sun   smiley_gorgeous.. might be that Bob took a drive over da border some .. just thinking here.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Raider Bill

How's he do that! :D

Yep Marcel that's my Florida floor  8)

Could have swore I had a bike on that lift.....

pigman

I only had to travel all the way over to his photo gallery. ;D

scsmith42

I've got a rebuilding project of my own.  It's an 00 Road King that did a somersault down an embankment in Colorado back in '08.  A buddy of mine is coming out next month and we're planning to tear it down and start making a list.

I fired it up last year - she still ran fine.  I know that she'll need a new fork assembly and various sheet metal work; not sure yet about the frame.

I plan to have it running by the summer; wouldn't mind taking it to Sturgis this fall.

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Raider Bill

Scott is that the bike your friend was hurt on?

scsmith42

Yup.  I plan to rebuild it, ride it for a year or so myself, and then give it to his son.

Raider Bill

submarinesailor

Scott,

When I read your post about the fall this morning, I meant to ask if you had fallen or was it someone else.  Glad to hear it was someone else but sorry that he went down.

Fix it up real good for his son.

Take care.

Bruce

Raider Bill

I believe the Rider [Scotts friend]  did not survive the wreck.

If I over stepped here Scott my apology.

Weekend_Sawyer

Good to hear it Scott, sorry to hear about your friend.
Remember, with out pictures it didn't happen! Lets see it.

Jon

scsmith42

Jon, right now it's burried in the back corner of the shop, covered by sheets, so no pix yet.  I can post a picture of it covered if you want, but it might be kinda boring...  :D

Bill - you did not overstep, but thanks for asking.

I am not ashamed to say that it was a very emotional moment for me when we started it up last year...

Bruce - will do.

moonshiner

Its great to see things resurected from sad moments,The feeling from it is a wonderful one and the moment will last forever.

Raider Bill

Jon,
Did you mention having a Mustang saddle on your 03 Road King? Got a pix?

I need another saddle, this stock on is shot even with a gel pad. Can't decide what to get.

Some have suggested a Sundowner.

scsmith42

Bill, I had a Mustang saddle on my Softail, and really liked it a lot.  Sure beat the heck out of the stock saddle on "Iron Butt Club" trips too.

Raider Bill

Thanks Scott, Mines getting worse. 200 miles last Sunday and I've had enough.
I looked at some via the internet but hate buying one without sitting on it or having a recommendation. Jon had the same bike as I do and he's a big boy too.
I want one that has no seams or buttons on top, preferably a wide deep bucket 2 up.

scsmith42

Man, you should have gone up to Daytona Beach last week for Bike Week.  Lots of dealers up there, and Mustang always has some factory booths.  I seem to recall that they set up near the bike shop on the south side of downtown.

Raider Bill

I ordered a Mustang ultra wide 2 up last night.

Even though Daytona is only 3 hours away I haven't been to "trailer "week in a few years. Save all my away time for Tenn.

RynSmith

Mooseherder

The last time I rode my Fatboy to Daytona was in 2002.
I left it there on trade Dog for Dog on a 1959 chevy Pickup.

Raider Bill

RynSmith

:D :D :D :D

I have to remember to show that to my riding half!

Weekend_Sawyer

Bill, I think you will like that mustang seat. I have been running them on my last 3 bikes and love them.

Jon

scsmith42

Bill, I can relate.  The last time that I attended Bike Week ('07) I left the farm in the morning and rode straight through to the Keys.  A little over 1K miles in a day.  Should have gone for "iron butt club" status on that ride, oh well.

I'm planning to ride Bill's reconstructed bike out to Sturgis this year; should have some nice, long riding days on that trip.

BTW - we're down to the frame on Bill's bike - looks like I dodged a bullet as the old frame looks good.  The rear trailing arm appears to be bent though. 

Will try to get some pix's posted soon.

SS

bama20a

BTW - we're down to the frame on Bill's bike - looks like I dodged a bullet as the old frame looks good.  The rear trailing arm appears to be bent though.

SS
  Done that one time,& it all started just because I wanted to put chrome lifter blocks on it, 8),then well while I'm here I'll build the motor,just as well install a chrome transmission housing,ol' well might as well paint it,front end just don't look right,go a head & put a 2" over on it,Anyway 3 years later I had it back togather & a nice bike :D :D :D,Mark
It is better to ask forgiveness than permission

Raider Bill

Quote from: scsmith42 on March 18, 2011, 01:50:47 PM
Bill, I can relate.  The last time that I attended Bike Week ('07) I left the farm in the morning and rode straight through to the Keys.  A little over 1K miles in a day.  Should have gone for "iron butt club" status on that ride, oh well.

I'm planning to ride Bill's reconstructed bike out to Sturgis this year; should have some nice, long riding days on that trip.

SS

1K a day is Iron Butt riding for sure. We have guys here that trailer the bike to Daytona 3 hours. I just don't understand that. If I was coming from the North or a long distance in the winter then a trailer maybe a good play but just a couple hours........

When I judge Bike shows I always give extra credit to the guys that ride their bikes over the trailer Queens.

Are you talking about the swing arm being bent?

scsmith42

Quote from: Raider Bill on March 19, 2011, 10:17:54 AM
Quote from: scsmith42 on March 18, 2011, 01:50:47 PM

SS

Are you talking about the swing arm being bent?

Yup.  I need to pull it and compare it to a good one to be sure.

Raider Bill

Well I got the new Mustang saddle yesterday. Took it out for a ride last night. Not sure if I like it or not. Sits me up higher and more forward plus it feels strange on the butt but that maybe just the difference in design.
Time will tell I guess. I'll give it a nice long ride this weekend before I decide if I keep it or not.

Thank You Sponsors!