iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sap eaters

Started by jim king, January 09, 2011, 07:35:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jim king

Somewhere I saw a post on cows eating sap and when I logged in to post this I cannot find it again.   Here are a couple of photos of some Marmosets, they are up to six inches long as adults and in the wild live in Oje trees and live on the sap.  The Oje is the tree that produces medicine for riding of parasites and was used all over the world until it was made syntheticly.

You can see in one photo how they peel the bark from the sticks in the cage with thier teeth.

These little guys are in the back yard and in place of sap they get strawberry yogurt every day as well as some raw hamburger and fruits.

doctorb

Jim-

"Cattle Chasing Sap" thread in Outdoor Activities.  Nice pics.  Do they bite hard!

Doctorb
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

jim king

doctorb:

Those little guys cannot open thier mouth wide enough to bite but you would have been proud of this sloth.  She opened some gashes in my arm that took several fish line stitches to close until I got to town.  She weighed about 40 pounds and my wife raised her from a newborn.

doctorb

I have never heard of sloths as pets.  From the sounds of it, I won't be hearing much in the future either!  How's your wife doing?  I hope that she continues to improve.  Doctorb
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Jeff

Is that a three toed or four toed?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Sprucegum

8) Nothing handier than another pair of eyes when y're out hunting sap  :D

jim king

QuoteHow's your wife doing?

She is physically quite well and is walking very strong as when she got home she still could not sit up well or stand for but a few seconds.   Mentally she cannot speak Spanish but a few words get mixed into her English. Her English is almost OK but she still gets off the subject at times and cannot communicate well and gets frustrated.

I assume this is just more time to get everything reconnected.  She is driving me nuts as she is bored and wants to go out and do things and one day she got out of the house alone and crossed the street.  She has gone to the market a couple of times with the house keeper and remembered everyone and tried to talk but didnt quite get it out.  She is definetly not back to normal.

I dont feel safe yet leaving her alone in the house but I think in another month things will be a lot better.  Last night when I saw on the news about the lady Senator that was shot thru the brain it stuck in my head what that family is going to go thru.  No one needs this experience.

At least I have had plenty of time to do the details on the house that I didnt finish.  Finished my raised gardens, painting the kitchen and on and on.  Do you think we are on track at this speed of recovery ?¿

QuoteIs that a three toed or four toed?

She was a three toed red one.  We had several of the small grey ones also but they are only about a foot long and also three toed.  Also one day a person brought a little species that I had never seen before about the size of a red squirel and it was laying on its back in the box and I thought it was sick or dead.  When I reached for it , it sprung like a jaw trap and was hanging on my hand dug in well.  They are not as slow as you think under some circumstances.

Here are a couple more patients we took care of.

A pair of  baby Tapirs and a giant ant eater.

SwampDonkey

Is the anteater a good vacuum cleaner to? I see you have him plugged in.  ;D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SPIKER

Quote from: SwampDonkey on January 09, 2011, 12:03:14 PM
Is the anteater a good vacuum cleaner to? I see you have him plugged in.  ;D :D

Ha Ha Ha You beat me to that one.   I noticed the cab.e? cord as well and thought the same thing.

My brother and I kept a lot of "free range pets" ones that were not fast or smart enough to get away from me primarily as a kid.   We kept lots of Pigeons (good eating) and Doves (same good eating) as well as a several Ground Hogs, Raccoons and small reptiles of every form.   I had a good number of what is rather rare now (Box turtles) & Large Salamanders.   We also collected preying Mantis cocoons much to my sisters dismay and stashed em in her terrarium only to have em hatch & fill up the house lol...   The pet squires were free range tree rodents that lived in the red & sugar maples around our house and more than once we were picking em up and playing with them used to hand feed them peanut butter crackers when we were about 6 ~8 yrs old.   Once one fell out of the tree at school and my brother picket it up & got bit, took some cops and a bunch of shots as the could prove which rodent bit him.

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Kevin

jim king

doctorb

Jim-

She sounds better but with a ways to go.  The final level of recovery remains unknown for all patients with head trauma, including your wife and the Arizona representative.  Stimulation of the brain is good for her, but she will get frustrated because she remembers the tasks she did well prior to the head injury and can't understand why they require more effort now.  Just keep with it to maximize her return.

Continued good fortune and recovery for both of you.  Doctorb

Thank You Sponsors!