iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

beef tongue

Started by LeeB, January 09, 2011, 12:42:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeeB

How to prepair it? I was thinking about brining it like corned brisquet. Any ideas?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Ianab

Yup, that's how we eat it here.

I like it best as cold meat, makes good sandwiches with a bit of pickle or whatever.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Troublermaker

Back when we was killing a lot of cattle we would put some in a brin or dry salt them. Fresh tongue is good boil. Either way they was good. I think beef tongue is a lot better than hog tongue.

ErikC

The only way I have had it was brined. It tasted just like corned beef, better texture though. We had it like boiled beef dinner, with potatoes and mustard, then the leftovers sliced cold in sandwiches. Both were good. :)
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

DanG

I can't help but think of ol' Archie Bunker whenever beef tongue is mentioned.  Edith served him some of it and he said, "I ain't eating nothing that came out of a cow's mouth!  Just fix me a couple of eggs." :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

beenthere

:D :D :D :D

Mom and Dad used to buy the tongue and before preparing it to cook, would lap it up the face of each kid. Rough surface.

But fixed, it was good eating and good sandwich material.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Raider Bill

Pressure cooker is what my Parents did with one. Heart too. Dang good chewing!
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Mooseherder

I remember my Mom fixing it for my Dad but she wasn't always happy about that.
Haven't had it in over 40 years and I'm okay with that.
We do sell some though.  I'll have to get you a picture. ;D

Tom

I remember my Mom getting all excited over tongue sandwiches too.  I had it as a child, but need to reintroduce myself to it.

Norm

We ate it as kids because we butchered our own cattle and you can bet with a family of 8 nothing was wasted!

My Mom made it pretty much like you all have said. Sliced thin and put on white bread with ketchup. We still butcher but Patty has decided the dog gets the tongue now. Lucky mutt! :D

ely

the first time and last time i had it was as mexican food. the guys at work told me to come over on a saturday for lunch. so i show up and have a couple beers with them.

they told me we were having" lingua de vaca" it didnt mean much to me at the time.

when i looked into the pot and seen the giant cows tounge boiling it sort of all came together. :D

i watched the guy take the tounge out of the pot and skin it. it was just a large muscle like any other at that point. he put seasonings on it and made fajitas out of the meat.

best dang mex food i ever had was at their house.

ErikC

It ends up tasty, but they do not look appetizing while the skin is still on, that's for sure. :D :D
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

jim king

My mother used to make it like pickled heart.  Wonderful.

PICKLED BEEF TONGUE AND HEART   

Read more about it at www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1636,152169-225198,00.html
Content Copyright © 2011 Cooks.com - All rights reserved.

Boil in salt water 3 hours. Peel hot tongue or trim heart.
Boil:

1 c. sugar
1 quart water

In a small bag:

1 tsp. mustard seed
2 tsp. mixed pickling spice
1 med. onion, sliced
Some pepper
1/4 c. salt

Simmer meat in solution for 10-15 minutes. Let set in cold solution in refrigerator about a week. Slice and eat. Store in solution in refrigerator.

scgargoyle

Quote from: DanG on January 10, 2011, 02:18:19 PM
I can't help but think of ol' Archie Bunker whenever beef tongue is mentioned.  Edith served him some of it and he said, "I ain't eating nothing that came out of a cow's mouth!  Just fix me a couple of eggs." :D

Given the choice of which end of the cow it comes out of, I'll stick with the tongue! :D :D :D

Mom used to boil it- kinda like corned beef, Haven't had it in years- I'm about due.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

isawlogs

Haven't had any in a long, long time , I'm ok reading about it now.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

woodsteach

Since I have 2 in the freezer and one thawed out I'm getting ready to try Jim's recipe as I'm home this morning with a sick little girl.  Besides it's 5 degrees outside right now!

Will let you know how it turns out.

Woodsteach
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

GDinMaine

My... my... my... it does bring back memories that old cow tongue.  We boiled it in brine and always ate it cold.  What a treat it was and still is. Only if I could find it around here.  I loved it in sandwiches or just with some hard crusty bread and good cheese.  8) 8) 8)
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

jbpaxton

When I was a kid, mom would boil it, then grind it fine w/sweet pickles
and mix with mayo, salt, pepper, and a little clove.  Kept in the frig to make
sandwiches with home baked bread for our lunch box to carry to the one room country school, sure beat the peanut butter and jelly ones.

Jim
jbpaxton

LeeB

did you have to walk uphill to school?  :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

jbpaxton

No! there was only one hill between home and the school, maybe 15' rise.  The school was only a 1/2 mile from house still on the Ranch so we walked to school, other kids from other ranches rode horse or parents brought in car. There was 8 to 15 Kids in school the years I was there, kidergarden thru eigth grade
Jim
jbpaxton

LeeB

where was this? sounds like west texas.

captain_crunch

You Guys are tough I only eat the middle part and give away the parts on the ends :o Can handle toung if I have to but Ox Tail is almost as bad as the liver
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Mooseherder

Oxtail done right tastes like Rib Roast. :)
It's very popular with the Latin crowd and is rather expensive now.
They made Skirt Steaks a staple item also.
Both these items were dirt cheap when I got into the Meat business.
Skirt Steaks are at almost Ten dollars a pound now.

Thank You Sponsors!