iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cattle chaseing sap

Started by WildDog, January 08, 2011, 05:37:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WildDog

Over a year back this big old pine tree overhanging the back of the house had to go, only problem was after I got rid of most of the head we have had constant rain and I can't get a tractor in. This area was always mowed neat but its hard now so I let some 18 month steers in on it. When I went out this morning this Santa X  guy (450 kilograms) was on his hind legs licking the sap and below him was another 6hd. The log is about 6ft in dimension, to cut through it I had to cut a wedge out to fit my saw as my biggest bar is only 24inch.

This pic shows the creek at the house, it seems its been in flood more times than not since this tree was fallen.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Autocar

Here in Ohio squirrels will get on the low side of a tree and will knaw the bark because the tension is so great that it forces out minerals maybe thats what the cows are after.  :)
Bill

SwampDonkey

Red squirrels will nip spots in hard maple bark, in the limb wood or a sapling, to get at the sap in the spring. I've seen them lick at the sap running down the stem.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

paul case

when i first looked at that pic i thought it was a new breed of beef tree or log cow?  maybe those cows have been watching some beavers or woodchucks and wanted to know what exactly that tasted like. on more than 1 occasion my cows have licked my truck all over. i learned when i was young to always roll the windows up when you leave a vehicle in a cow or horse pasture or the seats will get eaten or slobbered all over. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

WildDog

Our cattle normally eat bark of Stringy Bark euc's in the heart of winter but this summer they are still doing it, maybe because of the exceptionally wet and cooler season. We don't have a lot of pine down under so the sap is probably just opportunistic.

Paul I know what you mean about horses and cattle licking vehicles, my old boss let horses in to the yard I had my 1st car in and they chewed all the rubber of the windows/doors and my aerials :(   

Be carefull of batteries and livestock, at work we receive a number of lead residue tracebacks requiring blood tests. We had to blood test over a 100hd in one guys mob a couple of months back checking for lead.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Thank You Sponsors!