iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Double Sawing

Started by Magicman, January 14, 2011, 01:55:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I very seldom do this but this morning a small 16' logs proved to have too much sweep.  I whacked it in two and rather than kicking one off on to the loader, I just sawed them both.  Made studs instead of joists.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

mad murdock

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.  good job there MM.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

rph816

That's great, I've done it with cants but never rounds.  How did you get them clamped on to make the first cut?

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

red oaks lumber

sounds like it should have started out as an 8 footer.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Magicman

I'm working alone with no support equipment, so loading the 16' is easier.  Then the 8's are easier to handle on the mill bed than on the ground.  I did two more like that this afternoon.  You loose a bit of lumber because you have a top and a bottom which are different size.  Opening the faces, you are too heavy on one and too shallow on the other.

My logs and my lumber so it really doesn't matter.  This lumber is for my Cabin Addition. 

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,47709.0.html
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!