iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cants

Started by ahlkey, January 14, 2011, 11:46:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ahlkey

Having been selling some firewood logs per year at $90 or clear bolts at $110 per cord. Many of these logs are in the 10 inch range and would be ok for pallet stock.  At this point was wondering what one can expect as far as MBF for cants per cord when sawing on your bandmill?  This all assumes that the logs are straight with little crook, sweep, etc... but overall since you not cutting the entire log it would seem the ratio should be higher than 50%?  So if I want to just maximize my time and effort and I only take those logs that around 9-10 inches for cants I should be able to make two 6 X 3.5 cants.   So if my math is right than on those logs my average ratio goes up to around 60%-65% per the same cord.  If correct then that would return around $200 per a given cord and given my sawing time and costs during low periods make it worthwhile to cut those logs on the sawmill.  Likewise, delivery costs would be signifcantly less for me with cants given the locations of the pallet mills.  The intention is only to subsitutue income in a way that is better than what I do today with firewood and while I figure it hardly worth the effort it is something I still do to clean things up.  Thoughts?

Ron Wenrich

Rule-of-thumb seems to be 2 cord/Mbf.  My figures are that you'll need a 10" log to get 2 cants.  Otherwise, you'll get wane on both cants, and possibly an unhappy client. 

My neck of the woods has hardwood cants at $380/Mbf.  Your alternate return on just selling the logs is $180/Mbf (2 cords).  Now do the math.  Do you think you can buy a mill, separate out the mill logs from the firewood, saw them up and deliver for $200/Mbf?  Sawing costs go up on smaller logs.  Profit = lumber value - log costs - mfg costs.   

If I was looking to saw only small logs, I'd be thinking scragg mill.  Some used ones a pretty cheap, and you won't be spending your time turning logs.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

ahlkey

Thanks for your advise.  I was hoping the ratio would be higher given I basically would not be cutting the entire log into boards.  I already have the sawmill and all the equipment for log loading, turning, and delivery.  Part of the reasoning was the cost savings on fuel since the pallet mills are a few miles away and I have the cost of delivery on that $90 dollars for firewood.  I definitely agree would be more handling and sorting but right now I do a fair amount of sorting on sawlogs.  Just trying to see if the math would work for a higher ratio on select bolts around a certain size and if 10" inch makes it come out that is fine.   At first glance then I would be able to get two cants out of one log and if I get $200-$225 or more per a given mbf for cants over firewood it seems it is worth considerig.  In addition, I do sell to the neighbors all my slabwood so even those slabs would not be totally lost.   

Kansas

Depends on the size of your sawmill and operation. If you are smaller, I would go after the marketing side instead of cants to a sawmill. Its really hard to compete with the big boys and make much money. And the big boys don't want to sell smaller amounts.  Try advertising on craigslist and have a ready supply of logs to saw. Trucking companies, other companies, can use a lot of dunnage. A lot of time they are looking more for fast service than price. I have no idea what stuff goes for in your area, but try at least around .60-.80 cents a board foot. If a construction company needs 50 3x4's fast, they most likely will not object. And once you get in good with one company, others follow. Construction guys tend to hang out together and talk a lot.

red oaks lumber

thats alot of work for not much more return, i would sell the logs and spend my free time from not sawing mini bolts fishing. if you feel compelled to saw,take the clear mini bolts and sell 4/4 grade lumber. ron wenrich can give a better read on doing that.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Thank You Sponsors!