iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

what is the fastest way to dry logged wood naturally?

Started by motif, January 07, 2011, 06:35:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

motif

By naturally I meant without any dry machines etc.
I've heard fresh cut wood can dry up to 2 years!
I understand that all depends on where it's kept
but 2 years seems a little extreme to me. I figure
that if I cut the trunk into small pieces it will dry sooner
to be used in fireplace right? but how much sooner?
Any other way?

Buck

Motif, Use the search engine and look for seasoning firewood thread by doctorb. Good info for you there. Buck
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Holmes

If you split it and stack it inside your house in a well heated area it will dry quicker. Stack it so plenty of air can circulate around the wood. Try burning it after 2 to 3 weeks and see how much it sizzles. Holmes
Think like a farmer.

SwampDonkey

Depends on species and humidity of your area. Around here we don't season hard maple, yellow birch and beech for more than a year. Oaks are a lot heavier with water, white ash has a lot less than maple and beech. Two years might be best if it's oak, I have no experience with it. Red oak, was never much of a firewood tree around here because of availability and low volumes. Bur oak is too rare in my area to even entertain the thought.

Mines plenty dry from stacking inside right off the delivery truck in May, deep checks the length of the sticks and flames up fast when placed on coals and open damper. I couldn't hardly find a slab of firewood that you could turn as a bowl blank with all the checking going on. ;D When stacked in a dry basement your heating, the dryer wood will help dry the lesser seasoned wood. So stack the driest by the furnace. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

tyb525

Ash burns good even when green, however it isn't recommended to burn green wood due to creosote buildup.

Stack it up outside (in a stack, not a tossed pile) cover the top only, and in a year it should be plenty dry.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Ed_K

Had to listen to my favorite song first. Cut split and stack in a green house works quick.
Ed K

isawlogs

time, yep that'll do it. Cutting the wood into shorter blocks will help and it will take less time then full lenght, then again if you split the shorter blocks up that will shorten again the time it takes to dry. If you stack the split wood in rows and cover with something to stop the rain from getting to the wood and have a good air circulation, it will season (dry) well.        splitwood_smiley   fire_smiley
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

lumberjack48

The fastest way i found was, in the spring after the leaves came out, I'd cut down what i wanted and wait for the leaves to turn brown. The quickest and best way i found to season wood.
I burned wood 40 yrs, the wood i like the best is White Ash , Tamrack or dry Jack Pine.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

SwampDonkey

Was that the song from "Fallen" with Denzel Washington, Donald Sutherland and John Goodman?

For wood working I never use lumber unless it's air dried at least 3 years. Still can move a fare bit after planing, so I have learned to let it sit for a while in a dry shop before making final cuts and joints.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

motif

Quote from: Buck on January 07, 2011, 06:47:14 PM
Motif, Use the search engine and look for seasoning firewood thread by doctorb. Good info for you there. Buck

thanks Buck, it was good read.

p.s.
I don't like the Pink Floyd solution although I like the band   :)

woodmills1

jeff, for some reason your post is blank on my screen.............so ifin there be a song I didn't get to see it
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

tjdub

Let it lay out in the woods for 3 years and you don't have to season it at all :)

I'm half-way joking, but right now we're cutting 3-year-dead oak tops and I'm burning everything smaller than 5-in dia. right out of the woods.  Splitting the outsides off the larger rounds, splitting the smaller rounds in half, and selling it right off the splitter pile.  Only the heartwood is going in the shed to dry.

Anyway as long as you split it small, I would think any green wood would be well-seasoned after 1 summer in a shed.  We left some in the shed for 3 years once and the powder post beetles were so bad that you almost needed a respirator to load it.  Even at 2 years they get bad.  It sure made some nice wood, but that's a lot of anguish for something that somebody is just going to get throw in a fire! I don't imagine people enjoyed bringing the dust into their houses either.

Jeff

Quote from: woodmills1 on January 10, 2011, 09:43:57 PM
jeff, for some reason your post is blank on my screen.............so ifin there be a song I didn't get to see it

This means flash is somehow missing or disabled for your computer. You need to get the flash plugin for your browser type.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

Might have the 'Noscript' plugin blocking flash content to.

Thank You Sponsors!