iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

power outages

Started by bandmiller2, January 07, 2011, 08:17:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

What do you guys do in case of a power outage with yoiur outside boilers, will they overheat and pop the relief or circulate without the pump.?On my homebuilt masonry water tube boiler I use a 12v battery small power inverter and relay.When power fails it automatically starts the inverter and powers a seperate Taco circulater when the power comes back on it switches back. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

badpenny

My circ pump plugs into a standard outlet, easy to plug into the dedicated extension cord from my generator, then fire up the genny. As an alternative if the genny wont cooperate, 1500 watt inverter from the pickup battery, while the truck runs.  YMMV
Hope and Change, my foot,  It's time for Action and Results!

Jeff

Aren't most outdoor boilers open systems without relief valves?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

thecfarm

I have a Heatmor OWB. I have 2 fans that push air into the firebox. I almost think my fire would just about go out without power to run the fans. I can not see how I would have a boil over with no power.My system is not pressurized either.I had a pressurized one in my other house. I don't get to concerned when the power goes out.All the lines are warm and the ground around it is too. I do have a generator and both pumps can be run separate if needed.But I have a gentrac,so I just plug in generator into that and good to go.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

doctorb

1)  The outdoor boilers are not pressurized systems, so that is not an issue.

2)  I have a generator hooked into my house that recognizes a power outage.  It certainly does not run the whole house, just the essentials like well pump, frig, and some downstairs lights.  When I installed the outdoor boiler, we hooked the generator up to run it as well. 

3)  Becasue the outdoor boiler transfers its energy to the indoor oil furnace system, you must also have electricity to run you indoor oil furnace pumps as well.

4)  Still have an indoor wood stove, which I use occasionally (when temps are super cold, or just cool enough to need a little evening heat but warm enough to not need to run the outdoor furnace) in case of armageddon. :o

5)  I agree that overheating is not a problem becasue, with the fans off, the fire will just smolder and not boil over the boiler.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

MudBud

I also have a full house generator.  However during one of the great Northeast storms I decided that it was more important to go drinking with friends instead of filling the generator after its 8 hours run time.  None the less it ran out of diesel and couldn't get it running for 1 1/2 days. Once started the OWB kicked in and I only lost 7 degrees through the whole system, after it was recircing.  I started the fire and away I went. 
Wife took my kitchen pass away on snow days!

firechief

Drag out the Generac 8000 watt and plug it into the side of the house. Luckily haven't had to do that yet with the OWB.
My wish list is to have one of those fancy full house generators that fire up automatically when the power goes out.

renegadecj

Quote from: firechief on January 07, 2011, 11:26:55 AM
Drag out the Generac 8000 watt and plug it into the side of the house. Luckily haven't had to do that yet with the OWB.
My wish list is to have one of those fancy full house generators that fire up automatically when the power goes out.

I hope you mean you plug it into an outlet with a cutoff switch designed for backup generators.  Just plugging a generator into a normal outlet will work just fine....except you can kill the lineman working to get you going again!! 

Just confirming!!

JSNH

I have a grid interactive solar/ hydro setup with battery back up. The battery back up runs the inverter for the fridge, freezer, some lights, the water pump, the outdoor boiler and both circulators. I should have about 12 hours of power from the batteries without any solar or hydro.

bandmiller2

My system is water tube, closed system, 15lb pressure.The reason I went automatic is if power was lost  at night or if I was not at home.My outside boiler is natural draft no blowers.I've lost power for a couple of hours and the temp goes up but has never boiled.For a long spell I'd use the standby gen.A boiler and heating system will last longer if closed, as the water becomes dead and will not further corrode the system. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!