iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Utility ATV´s

Started by JimMartin9999, December 01, 2003, 08:08:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimMartin9999

I am considering buying an ATV, or four wheeler, for light logging, and general transportation to and from work in my very hilly woodlot.
My experience  is limited to  about ten rides on a  motorcycle-type ATV, but I  see a lot of advantages to the side-by -side, gator type, to take two of us .
I am looking for  some discussion of  the pros and con´s for the two types.  Especially the roll over , and climbing ability issues.  and  wold like to know where I can find used ones on sale , possibly on the net.
Jim

Kevin

I have used a Honda atv, Skidoo snowmobile and have finally settled on an Argo aatv because I needed the extra weight to skid logs in wet terrain and tow the sawmill.
The Argo has the power to pull if you can get the traction.
It is low impact, seats four  and has plenty of room for my lunch box. ;D

http://www.argoatv.com/

slowzuki

I like the Argos but have uses Gators and Mules and a few cushmans. Kubota are even making a new models, everyone has jumped into the ring.

They are very stable but it is hard to get used to wearing a seat belt.  It is easy to get thrown out of the taller 4 wheel ones if you try to drive it as fast a a fourwheeler.  They are a bit tippy when fully loaded too, mostly because they can carry so much more than a 4wheeler.

The argos are low and stable and I think have one of the higher payloads they will also go through a lot more stuff than an atv based model. You can't drive them as fast though.

For light logging, watch out for rubber boots on CV's.  The slash tends to rip these open all the time and ruin them when they get wet.  The argos don't have much to get ruined by sticks.

Bro. Noble

Kevin,

Did you mean to say "seats four OR has plenty of room for my lunchbox"? :D :D :D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Viking

If you've got the money to buy a nice one I'd suggest getting the Yamaha Grizzly 600, its great, it has an independent suspension all the way around which give you more clkearence, it was 42hp and about 45ft lbs/torque. can do 65-68 mphs "not like you need to go that fast" and tow alot of weight, its rated for 1ton / 2000lbs, but i've pulled 2 tons with it in low and it did that easily :), good in the mud with stock tires, but even better with soem outlaws and a bit of a lift. if you want anymore info about the grizzly or some other utility atvs lemme know :)

Scott

Viking, i think your refering to the new 660 grizzley, the 600 has a solid rear axle and is more of a low teck machine. The  Grizz 660 is my favorite bike but for forest work i'd go for an argo. the grizz only weighs 600 pounds which isn't great for towing. The argo has more wight, more room and those neat tracks for mud and snow. The fact that they float just makes them that much better. Most people i know mount their winches on the front of their machines. I really like the warn dual mount system wich lets you move the winch from front to back, it really helps for skidding logs.

HARD_WATER

HARD_WATER

C_Miller

Polaris Ranger I believe has the highest ground clearance and Independant suspension front and back.  The trailer hitch attaches to the frame not the axle/differential has a higher top end.

It's very stable and available in several drive train configurations.
I've ridden on and talk to several owners all were quite enthusiastic.

C
CJM

Ed_K

I started my business with a yamaha 225 moto4. Now I'm running the 350 grizzily 4x4. It works well skidding one log or two small logs, but is easily tiped over. Its not good pulling a forestry trailer w/ cherrypicker. Not enough weight.
 Ed
Ed K

RMay

I like the  Mules two people can ride and it will haul all you can pile in the dump bed , six loads if fire wood is a cord . ;D
RMay in Okolona Arkansas  Sawing since 2001 with a 2012 Wood-Miser LT40HDSD35-RA  with Command Control and Accuset .

Kevin

Yo Bro;
You're disappointing me again.
When nobody wanted to be your friend here I fought my way to the front of the crowd with outstretched arms to greet you.
When nobody would make the effort to talk to you, it was me that broke the silence to converse with you.
When Jeff was tormenting you to no end I was always there to intercede ... and this his how you repay my kindness?

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

isawlogs

Kevin   I've got an extra box of kleenex hear I'll sent it out to you...
   If you are in hills don't go with the four weeler , go with the argo . the 8 wheel model has the best traction . I had the 6 wheel back in the late 70's we where working in james bay slashing for the hydro lines and used the argo to haul our equipment in and out of our cutting area , hills gullys, samps and water no mater what you came across it would generaly pull through. We never upset it where I have upset the 4 wheelers more times then I care to remember.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Corley5

Dad and Mom bought a 6 wheel JD Gator this fall.  It's pretty neat haven't used it a lot but it seems like it'll go where you need to.  Only the back four tires drive and can be locked with a differential lock.  I've got a little Honda 250 Recon that I'm pretty impressed with.  I would have liked something bigger and 4X4 but the deal couldn't be beat.  It'll go just about anywhere and is really handy for quick trips around the farm, checking fences etc.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Kevin

I wish I had the eight wheel at times but I'm glad I have the six wheel for tight turning between the sticks.

Bro. Noble

Kevin,

That would be real handy for you 8)

Then you could carry three friends AND your lunchbox :D :D :D

IF you had three friends :o :-X-------- ;)
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Kevin

Hey Bro, when can you come to Canada?
We need somebody to test the ice.  :D :D :D

Frank_Pender

I have tow Gators, 4 x 2 s.  One for the wife and one for me.  They have been the best investments I have made for my Tree farm and for consluting work that I do from time to time.  There is not a place on this farm I cannot go, year round.   Some of my ground is up to 60% grade.  On my unit I have the electric hoist.   8)  I would not be without such an add on.  The turning radius is much tighter than the 4 x 6 Gator.  Ido not try to do any log yard or such with either unit.  Just travel and equipment hauling and a little wood for the Taylor stoves from time to time.
Frank Pender

Viking

QuoteViking, i think your refering to the new 660 grizzley, the 600 has a solid rear axle and is more of a low teck machine. The  Grizz 660 is my favorite bike but for forest work i'd go for an argo. the grizz only weighs 600 pounds which isn't great for towing. The argo has more wight, more room and those neat tracks for mud and snow. The fact that they float just makes them that much better. Most people i know mount their winches on the front of their machines. I really like the warn dual mount system wich lets you move the winch from front to back, it really helps for skidding logs.

oops yup, your right haha, i pressed the 6 one time to less and the 0 one time to many.

Viking

QuotePolaris Ranger I believe has the highest ground clearance and Independant suspension front and back.  The trailer hitch attaches to the frame not the axle/differential has a higher top end.

It's very stable and available in several drive train configurations.
I've ridden on and talk to several owners all were quite enthusiastic.

C
nope, thats out of date "your info", the Yamaha Rhino 660 has higher clearence, 13" all around.

Viking

QuoteI started my business with a yamaha 225 moto4. Now I'm running the 350 grizzily 4x4. It works well skidding one log or two small logs, but is easily tiped over. Its not good pulling a forestry trailer w/ cherrypicker. Not enough weight.
 Ed

do you mean the big bear 350 ? yamaha dosent make a grizzly as small as the 350, they started out the with the 600.

IndyIan

Hi Jim,
I bought a suzuki kingquad 300(atv) in the fall of 2002 for working in my woods.  Its only 276cc's but has an extra low gear range and has a front differential lock(really helps in mud or snow or pulling in reverse).  In 1st gear in super low you can walk faster than it can go revved out.  This means the clutch engages very easily and there is no jerking or lurching when you're doing something tricky on a side slope.  Also this engine braking is very nice on tricky downslopes when the trailer has 1200lbs of wood in it!  It's 600lbs and loaded up with me and girlfriend and gear we probably tip the scales at 1000lbs and can pull quite a bit with it.  For utility I'd stay away from belt drive models(some lack good engine braking).
I've also got 2000lbs superwinch on the front with 50' of cable, some atv winchs only have 25'

The main advantages of an atv over the gator type vehicles is less width, means your trails can be narrower and also your trails can be rougher, less chance of hanging up.  Also if you get stuck you can manhandle the atv more.  Without a load the atv is quicker through the woods as well.

If your forest has a smooth floor and you don't mind making slightly wider trails probably the gator is better.  I can imagine the 4x6 ones would really pull with 500lbs of wood in the bed, don't know if they'd turn though...  I'd guess that an atv with a log arch would outperform any gator type machine that's just dragging logs on the ground in the woods though.  

For firewood I bought a tilt trailer with a 4'x7'x1' box that has the wheel underneath the box so its basically as wide as the atv.  I still had to take a few more trees out to get the trailer through but even 4" more on each side would make me take out several more trees.

Basically when I was looking it came down to the kingquad or one of the honda's with the hydraulic torque converter automatics for pure work machines.  I choose the kingquad because it was 40% cheaper and I like the fully manual everything.  I can pick 2wd, 4wd, or 4wd diflock in high or low or super low range with 5 forward speeds to suit what I'm doing at the moment.  Also the reverse ratio changes with the range as well,  some machines only have 1 ratio for reverse which usually is too fast for woods work.  

If your woods has lots of long slopes that you can pull loads fast on you might be happier with a more powerful machine as the kingquad doesn't have much hp at all.  But I find in most situations I'd rather have the gears to use the hp its got safely and slowly than to throw dirt in the air.

Hope this ramble helps you decide! ;D

Ian

Viking

IndyIan, yeah those king quads a great for climbing, just pop it into low 4 and off you go :) same with the big bear 350's excellent manual machines :)

Stump Jumper

We have a pair of Polaris Sportsman 500's.  They are tough for what we have put them through.  They are a good machine for all around.  And as far as using an ATV in the woods you can jump clear of them if they start to tip not sure about the Argo the Sportsmans are a very stable machine.  Jeff has only tipped the machines over twice  once while what we call here drifting (going down the road and driving into a snowdrift and watching the snow fly) it sucked him into the drift and tipped him over he had a soft landing that time.  We have had the quads for about  5 years and have had basically no problems with either machine just regular maintenance.
Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

Kevin

You can get a ROPS for the Argo, I opted for a canoe rack.

Thank You Sponsors!