iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

fossilized bolts

Started by Tam-i-am, January 06, 2011, 02:29:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tam-i-am

Kevin found these embossed bolts in our sheets of OSB.  They sure look nice all painted - I mean preserved and in the shop walls.

Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper

beenthere

Tammy
Interesting artifact.
Is the bolt there or just the impression of the bolt?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Chuck White

I have bought OSB that had depressions in the sheet as though someone put a bolt, nut, washer, etc. on the sheet then pressed it.

I've also had just the opposite where the defect would actually be raised.

Wierd as to how that could happen.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Kevin

The wood fibers are held together with those bolts, sometimes they show through.

:D

SwampDonkey

I've the got the matching sheet with the nut embedded into it down in the shop. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Larry

Kevins quite lucky he didn't hit that bolt when he sawed that OSB log. :o
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Brad_bb

Give anybody any ideas?  What could you emboss into OSB?  Just think of the interesting things they could intentionally emboss in the sheets.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

low_48

Read on WoodWeb the other day that someone got a sheet of OSB with a Crescent wrench imbedded in it years ago.

Brucer

Five years ago I was sawing some Western Red Cedar timbers for my main customer. For side lumber he just wanted 1x6 & 1x8. There was no specific need for the 1x -- it was just a byproduct of the main job. I cut it, his guys stickered it, and it sat until they found a use for it.

In the summer when they had a chance to sell the 1x, the guy who was unstacking it called me over to look at something. There was a raised piece of wood right in the middle, about 3" long and 2" wide, sticking up 1-1/2" above the board and tapering to a point. It was kind of in layers. It looked weird, but all I could figure was that something had nailed the board from the other side and pushed a chunk out. So we flipped the board over. Absolutely flat. Pristine, clear wood.

I wish I'd owned a digital camera because it was totally weird. Keep in mind this was a 1" thick board with a 2-1/2" thick bump at one spot. Everyone was trying to figure out how I could have sawed around that bump on the top. Well, I couldn't. The board had two parallel faces when I cut it.

What we finally figured was this. The logs were harvested in the early winter and probably had another log tree dropped on top of it. A branch stub punched into it and crushed the sapwood (WRC being a very soft wood). When they skidded the log, the penetrating branch got pulled off and the hole got filled with snow. It was frozen and covered with snow when I sawed it. My opening cut must have been just below the hole, but right on top of the crushed fiber. Second cut was below it in undamaged wood. The flat board stayed that way until the spring when it started to thaw and the frozen moisture caused the crushed wood to expand and resume it's original shape. That's all we could think of.

I could see something like that happening to a piece of OSB or plywood, except the raised part wouldn't by any thicker than the thickness of a chip or a layer of veneer.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Tam-i-am

We bought 10 sheets and every one had the same bolts in the same places.
Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper

scgargoyle

My guess is that the OSB is pressed between two massive plates of steel. At some point, some stray hardware got in there and damaged the plates. They probably just kept running it until someone noticed, or until it his some Quality Control threshold, and they re-surfaced the plates. That would explain why Tamiam got several sheets like that.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

Thank You Sponsors!