iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

"NO FROST"

Started by cjfrank, January 05, 2011, 09:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cjfrank

I was hoping for a good season but someone else has other plans.... Just asking around, Central and northern parts of mn. have no frost in the ground. we have 8 to 14 inches of snow on the ground and not enough cold to freeze. We have water under the snow and with the rain last week it just made things worst. Is anybody out in the woods around here??????? I'm freezing my roads in but it's taking it's own sweet time to freeze..
cjfrank, 1976 clark 664 skidder
Model 4000 Iron Mule Forwarder
1958 JD 620 Tractor
1990 peterbuilt straight truck with lemco loader, 2009 Woodmizer LT40 w/12' Extension

Gary_C

I just heard yesterday that one of the big logging operations in northern MN dropped a big new harvester into a swamp. Heard just the top of the cab was sticking out.

It's going to be a bad winter if you need a lot of frost to work.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

northwoods1

We had a lot of cold here before the 1st snow in mid December and have a lot of frost in the ground just about everywhere. I moved in to a job beginning of last week to cut 50mbf of cedar and it is swamp, was very wet this fall as we had a lot of rain. Have to cross a tilled field to get to it so I need cold as much as anyone. Things are going great I am having no problems at all freezing things down well enough to go anywhere with the 440D. Did warm up last thursday and friday into the 40's but that was good as far as I am concerned it settled the snow down to about nothing. I had -15 this morning, you don't have cold there ??? Will be below zero here tonight for sure. I am keeping my fingers crossed, hoping to get at least 8 more weeks of cold and I want to be out of there when March gets here.

SwampDonkey

It's never been cold to freeze up the river here yet. Ice is forming this week like slush floating in it, but nothing solid. It's late. It's never been colder than 5 F and mostly in the teens at night and 20 and 30's during the day. Our Average winter temps should be 0, so that means a lot more colder days to drop the average.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

lumberjack48

I used to hate this, no frost, makes a short season even shorter. I had to work 7 days a week day light to dark, and yard wood at night. This takes all the fun out of it, i was lucky my wife worked with me [ skidder operator ]
I would use snowmobile some times to freeze a road in, i would even walk back and forth on a road, once it gets snow on it, it has to be packed down.
I've had bad areas on a swamp road that would not freeze, if this happens, push sticks down in the mud, it pulls the frost down.
I'll be hoping for colder weather for you guys out there.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Thank You Sponsors!