iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Not to sound rude .......

Started by NB sawdust, January 05, 2011, 08:33:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NB sawdust

It's kinda cold in the woods up here this morning .. But I am having a good chuckle over this thread. I'm glad you guys are easy going . I am by no means the greatest speller . Don't think for a minute I was complaining about the backwoods way people write . I knew that the whole forum had changed and was a little baffled . Anyway I find it very comical after . And thanks for the welcome .

metalspinner

One of the most fun aspects for me when meeting members from around the country is hearing their accents for the first time. 

Reading posts here on the FF, everyone has a Cajun accent. :P  While hanging out at a sawmill show a few years back at the FF table, I heard all kinds of exotic tongues, though ::)  There was Jeff from Michigan, Customsawyer from Georgia, and Mr. Tom from Florida.  I shared a truck ride with RaiderBill.  He is a transplanted New York Yankee now living in Florida but has a cabin here in Tennessee.  So hearing him speak is kind of smiley_monkeyfight ;D :D :D

And if you have yet to meet Don K and have a conversation- -what a treat. :) He's in Alabama if you might not know it.  Recently I've met up with Fishpharmer and he has a cool sound, too.

Some day I hope to meet up with some of you westerners so I can read your posts with the proper accent.  Right now I'm trying to read Texasranger's posts with a Chuck Norrisian sound, but it's just not working out. Maybe I'll try a Jerry Jones sound for a while. :D
Can you imagine meeting up with Meadowsmiller, Weisyboy, or any of the others from down under?!? :o 8) 8) :D  What a great time that would be!  I know, I know, Aussie was at the piggy roast this year and I missed it. >:( :(

So, Yooper night is fun for me because of all of that. 

Buck, yes, yooperisms are very close in sounds to the good ole boys down in Louisiana - if you're reading it.  But to hear them say it, it's completely different.  Check out Jeff's new picture posting thread with the video clip of him speaking. ;) :)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Jeff

I was goona narrate the video with a southern dialect, but found out the video got done way before I could narrate. ;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Mooseherder

Humor is great for the soul.  There is time to be serious and time to relax and enjoy.
The Forestry Forum's Yooper night is pure brilliant entertainment that could compete with any comedy skit.  The translation of certain words make my eyes water from laughter.    
Last night I lost it when I read shoo....weee. :D

Magicman

Quote from: Ironwood on January 06, 2011, 04:17:03 AMBUT I thought the posts go back to original form afterward ???  Ironwood 

Quote from: Cedarman on January 06, 2011, 07:23:56 AMWhat good is it to have power if you never use it? Jeff's got the power.

And, he does have the power.  I know of one post that didn't go back.  I won't be saying anything because I don't want to be permanently "Yooperized" .    :)   Being the unofficial Forestry Forum "Wood Chucker" is bad enough.   :D :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Raider Bill

Quote from: metalspinner on January 06, 2011, 07:48:10 AM
  I shared a truck ride with RaiderBill.  He is a transplanted New York Yankee now living in Florida but has a cabin here in Tennessee.  So hearing him speak is kind of smiley_monkeyfight ;D :D :D

What U talking about Willis!!!! :D :D
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

ARKANSAWYER

I just figured it was them DanG Yankees messing with us Southern Boys.  If some of yous would type slower it would be a site easier to read.
ARKANSAWYER

Busy Beaver Lumber

I did not know what to make of the "Yopper Event" and actually sent Jeff an email telling him I thought the forum was hit by a virus :D

He was kind enough to reply with a very informative crash course in the Yopper language and history, then I was at ease and went back and read a lot of the posts and had a good laugh.

It was definately all in good fun and a good laugh to boot.

I am originally from New York City, and my wife, who is originally from Flint Michigan kids me almost daily about still having a New York accent and how I say certain words. She says that I sound like a gangster that has learned how to roll his "R's" a bit over the years but with a definate "Badda Bing, Badda Boom" accent.

Then I politely remind her that there is no "A" or "W" in the word "DOG", as opposed to the way she pronounces it.
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

ely

i remember my first yooper nite. :) that was fun stuff.

had an acuantence way back when from chicago who informed me early on that there was absolutely no NOISE in illinois. ::)

sawman

Quote from: DR_Buck on January 05, 2011, 09:51:00 PM
Dang! Dang! Dang!    I missed Yooper night again.  :(

I missed it also, rats.
'14 LT40 Hydraulic 26 HP koehler ,massey ferguson 2200 forklift, Case IH D40
Wallenstein FX85

Banjo picker

Yopper night rocks....I guess I missed it this time ...  Sorta like it use to be typing in the word Yankee  (Proud and Intelligent gentlemen from a northern state)  Totaly cool..Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

beenthere

I missed it too. Was at the basketball game watching WI - MI have it out.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

tyb525

Aww shucks...missed it again :'(

I was up till after midnight tearing my car's engine apart to replace a cracked head... >:(
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

scsmith42

I too am bummed that I missed "yooper night".  I"ll never forget my first one - the change in my posts really threw me for a loop.

Oh well, that's what happens when I stay in the shop too late and night and skip the FF.

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: scsmith42 on January 08, 2011, 01:35:45 AM

Oh well, that's what happens when I stay in the shop too late and night and skip the FF.

Been known to do it as well. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Doc Hickory

Well, butter my butt and call me a biscuit!  I didn't know about yooper night and to be honest I tend to read dialects and translate as I go. Once upon a time many years ago I could actually speak English, but 30+ years driving truck has laid that to rest.  ::)
To veer a little out of plumb here (I beg y'alls indulgence), this place is kind of unique. As a newbie I've interjected a few comments and they've been well received. This community is like a cocktail party where almost everyone knows everyone else except for the new guy or gal. People tend to stand back a pace and size them up for a bit until the group collectively decides how (or if) they fit in. There are some boards where you can wander in, make a well intentioned comment, then wait for the fur to fly! Glory Hallelujah, this place isn't that way, and if it was I'd probably saunter on down the hall and rattle somebody else's doorknob. 
Some folks have a little trouble working the features of the site like posting pictures, enclosing posts, and I'm sure other things. I'm one of those challenged folks myself. It's part of a learning curve and part of that curve is a certain amount of frustration.  Oh well, what's a mother to do? ;)
So, yoop away!  The penalty for grousing is being locked up with your least popular political commentator for a week or 90 days in the electric chair. (I'd take the chair.) :o
Feed a fire, starve a termite...

beenthere

Doc
You are very observant and write a good summary.  8) 8)
:)

Glad to have you at the party.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Raider Bill

Wow 2 Doctors! This place rocks!
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

DoubleD

Dang it!!! I lost da yooper night again  :D

Davide ;D
Wannabe a sawmiller

Thank You Sponsors!