iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Close call

Started by Magicman, January 05, 2011, 08:22:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I'm always suspicious about cedar logs.  Where did it come from, yard tree, fence row?  Even when you are assured that none of the above apply, you've still gotta look.  This customer didn't fell the tree, so he really didn't know.

That would have ruined a blade.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dan_Shade

i figure if you go fast enough, the blade cuts through barbed wire like butter!

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Magicman

Yup, and then you put a fresh blade on it and do it all over again.   :o  No telling what all is really inside of that old log.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bill Gaiche

Yeah that wire could be tied to an old jack handle, bg

Dan_Shade

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

PineNut

Had a request from my brother-in-law to saw up a yard cedar for a mantel. Knowing where it came from, figured it would be half metal. Told him about the usual blade problems and replacement but he still wanted to cut it. Went over it very closely with a metal detector and could find nothing. Just didn't seem right. Put it on the mill and carefully begin to cut it. Amazingly, no metal. Just a very tiny ding, couldn't have been much more than a paper staple.  Don't know how it happened but guess occasionally you get lucky.

Dan_Shade

sawmill:  ***zing***

customer:  what was that?

me: $20

:-D

Magicman

I hit nails on 3 sides of a cedar log that the customer saved for last.  Said that it probably might have nails since it was in the front yard where he grew up.  Well, $60 later, I asked him what he wanted me to do.  "Saw it" he said.  luckily, no more nails.

DR_Buck

Cedar logs are kind of like a box of chocolates...........ya never know what you're going to find inside.  :D
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Buck

See, you should've done like Busy Beaver said and made a coat/hat rack.  ::)
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

LorenB

Quote from: Dan_Shade on January 05, 2011, 08:23:44 PM
i figure if you go fast enough, the blade cuts through barbed wire like butter!

Heck, if you go fast enough, it'll cut through a 1" x 2" steel fence like butter.  Don't ask me how I know. 

-- Loren
Loren
Baker 3667D portable sawmill, Cook's edger, Logrite arches & peaveys.  Husky 272XP chainsaw & two Echos.

kderby

Never mind the wire.  It is the fence staple I am after ;D ;D ;D ;D    ZING! ::)

kelLOGg

I just hauled home a 24" ERC blowdown from an elementary school campus. Had some rot in the base and when I saw it I'll find out how many ZINGS it has.
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Thank You Sponsors!