iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My latest walnut job

Started by CX3, January 05, 2011, 08:00:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CX3

These are some pics we took this week.  We finished this job today and sure are proud of the way we handle business.  Id like to share it with you all. Tell me what you think.  Thanks.

This is where we done the cutting.  We pile all the brush and take these kinds of pictures to show the next landowner how we leave our logging sites.

This pic shows how we like to leave the stumps.  We really strive to cut them low so a bush hog or truck can drive over them.  Thats how I would want them left on my property.

This is a fine tree we cut.  The first log was a 12 footer that brought 6 dollars a board foot.  This is my first 6 dollar tree.  That first log brought just shy of 1600 dollars!

These last two pics are the logs after we lined them up for the buyer to come scale them and write the checks. 

Thanks for looking.
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

Roxie

Say when

tlandrum

nice trees, i am in a county where the walnut has the 1000 sores disease and cant even get rid of it
www.wickedworksaw.com
wickedworksaw@gmail.com
Husqvarna and jonsered dealer
chainsaw porting for high production work saws

Autocar

Your making my mouth water with those nice logs  :D Nothing better then cutting walnut, years ago I had a fellow ask me why the saw dust turned green laying in the snow. I told him it's the color of money  ;D
Bill

northwoods1

Wow, you can log my woods anytime! Are those logs bucked up or do you leave it long for the buyer to look at before bucking? Really looks like good going down there.  :)

Magicman

Any idea how old those trees are?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

CX3

We leave them tree length until the buyer marks them for us.  If we ever need to buck one in the woods we always cut it 8'6".  Even if it might go veneer.  Thats a good standard measurement for the most money from our buyer. 

Magicman, I have counted rings in lots of trees before.  Those big, very mature logs will exceed 100 years easy, but most of the average trees are around 40 to 50 rings deep.  On one of our jobs earlier this year, we cut two +- 20 dbh walnuts standing in a field.  The landowner had a picture of him as a kid in 1964 standing next to those same two trees and they were merely sprouts.  No larger than a soda can.  It was pretty cool, and he nearly cried when they hit the ground.
You Better Believe It!

Tom_Averwater

Good looking job . Nice logs .
He who dies with the most toys wins .

Magicman

Quote from: CX3 on January 05, 2011, 08:45:03 PM
and he nearly cried when they hit the ground.   

Bet he used his $$$ for a hankie.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

northwoods1

Quote from: Magicman on January 05, 2011, 09:01:26 PM
Quote from: CX3 on January 05, 2011, 08:45:03 PM
and he nearly cried when they hit the ground.   

Bet he used his $$$ for a hankie.   :D

:D :D

How small a diameter do you take it down to for logs? What happens to the rest? Just curious. If you end up butting or have a big crotch to cut out what do you do with that? Leaving it tree length for the buyer to mark is a real great idea.

CX3

They will buy down to a 12" sometimes an 11 if its real slick and straight.  As far as the butt offs and ends we cut off at the pile, I have been hauling them home and carving crosses out of them.  I sell them on craiglist for 75 bucks.  I have been contacted by guys that make bowls and stuff but never really went that route.  Sometimes the landowners request to leave them lay there and they cut them up for firewood.

Sometimes I wish I had a small band mill to make lumber out of the limbs.  There are some nice straight limb chunks that would make beautiful lumber.  But a guy only has so many hours to work before he has to go fishing.

Thanks for the comments.
You Better Believe It!

Kevin

Nice work, what happened to this one ...

WDH

I am so jealous!  I need those walnut logs  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

CX3

Well Kevin now you sound like my log buyer :D  There is no doubt I have busted some real nice trees from the bottom up.  But that tree had a wide splaying crown.  It looked like a huge Y when standing.  One side of the Y hooked another tree and split that thing square in half when she fell.  I most generally pull them over with the winch in a way that will let them fall cleanly.  But with most of these trees, as you can see, were standing very close in all directions to other large trees.  I dont know if you are familiar with walnut, but that stuff is very brittle.  A cutter has to be extremely careful not to bust every tree they cut. 

You Better Believe It!

missouri_logger

It takes many years of experience with cutting not to bust them like that one is if i was a betting man someone almost got killed on that leaning tree you dont bust any walnuts where i come from or your fired good clean up on the job just need a lil more cutting experience nice pile though you should always buck your walnut and lay out grade logs seperate pile with cant hook near bye and lumber layed out seperate row also you can get full scale out of just going by the outside of the log and your buyer is just most of the time guessing what size they are and if they are hollow or what it takes experience to sell walnut professionally and do it right you kan make yourself thousands by seperating and laying them out seriously oh and dont bust anymore dang it that makes me sick to see that nice pile of logs though ;D

Ernie

Very neat and tidy job, I'd better not let Jan see your pics ;D  That's about $3300.00 per cube NZ$  well done.
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

paul case

how do you manage to get $6/ft for those logs?
i have had some pretty nice walnut logs from time to time andthe most i get is$1.50 pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Kevin

QuoteI dont know if you are familiar with walnut

The only walnut I see is in a bowl at Christmas.
That's common for codoms, I've seen the second leader break clean off and fly through the air when they hit the ground just right.
I've never seen one separate when getting caught on another tree, thanks for the explanation,interesting.

Larry

Paul, those walnut buyers will come a long ways for a truck load.  We had a forestry field day up in Kansas a few years ago and one of the teachers was a veneer buyer from American Walnut.  I learned a lot along with meeting a few walnut buyers.

Member Kansas was a host for a few of those field days.  Wish we could have some more, as the networking along with the learning was worth more than money could ever buy.  Food was pretty good also. ;D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Ron Scott

~Ron

g_man

As a land owner I can see how those pictures would be a great selling tool. Very nice work.

CX3

Well thanks for the comments I really appreciate it. 

Paul Case- like I said that was the first 6 dollar log I ever sold.  I have cut a handful that brought 5 and many at 4 and 3.  It takes a real special log to bring the big bucks, and a good buyer.  I saw pictures of a 9 dollar log, that had 1200bf in it.  It was cut up around kansas city somewhere.  What a beast. Even with the high dollar ones, most of our piles of walnut will average around 1.40-1.75 per bf.

g_man- Those photos have helped put a many of good logs on the ground.  But there is never a substitute for page after page of good references.
You Better Believe It!

fishpharmer

CX3, I would hire you to log my place, I mean, if I was nearby.  Nice logs and great job of clean up. 

With the risk of exposing my lack of knowledge, I have some questions.  Are the trees marked by a forester, or do you just take out all the walnuts over 12" dbh?   Do you haul the logs? Or is that the buyers responsibility? 
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

CX3

Fish- Sometimes we get a job that a forester has marked out.  Not very often though.  In a case where we decide which tree to cut, they need to be somewhere around 17+ dbh.  And the trees with a minimum diameter need to have at least one more, and most likely two more good straight logs in them to be considered to cut.  If they dont make this minimum standard, you will burn more fuel to get them out then they are worth.  IMO

As long as there are ten logs or more we never take them off the property.  Sometimes we move them closer to the road, but the buyer always picks them up from the farm they were cut on.  Now say we only cut one tree on a job or something, we haul that to the house where it can be picked up more economically for the buyer.  All we do then is call him and he knows right where to go get it and more importantly he knows the little hiding spot to leave the check ;D
You Better Believe It!

Kansas

Larry, we kind of went inactive when we lost our forest go to guy with the Kansas Forest Service due to lack of funding for the position.Plus when I tried to host a field day when gas hit over 4 bucks and the economy was tanking I couldn't get equipment suppliers to come in. However, we are going to hold a reorganizational meeting early next month. We also want to hold a nice event late this summer. Be a bit of a drive for you, but you sure are welcome to come.
You are right about walnut buyers coming a long ways. A lot of walnut in this area is now going to Meisters up in Minnesota. Some goes to Missouri Walnut down at I believe Neosho Missouri. 6.00 is not uncommon for good veneer walnut. I have heard up to 10-12, but those are extremely rare in this area. The farther north you get, the better the quality for those kinds of logs. If you can get straight run 1.50 you are probably doing pretty good.

Thank You Sponsors!