iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

small skidder

Started by logman81, January 05, 2011, 01:26:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

logman81

I'm thinking about up grading from my tractor to a small older skidder. Looking for a small machine that can maneuver around in the tight woods to do wood lot thinning's and house lots. Would also like one that is reliable and easy to work on and cheap to run and fix when needed. Looking for opinions on brands and models. Will be using it mostly to skid firewood and some saw logs and clear house lots with. After landing the resent 75 acre thinning job it's making me think I need to up grade a little. ???   
Precision Firewood & Logging

Ron Scott

You might consider an Iron Mule.
~Ron

Frank H.

Old Treefarmer C4.  Parts available at napa, easy to fix and maintain.  For that matter, any old skidder with a 3 53, 4 speed warner t-18 (junk yard find in 70s trucks) and rockwell rears. 

lumberjack48

A C5d  Tree farmer, 353 Detroit, stick shift, Model 20 winch. Don't get one with a Ford motor way under powered. I have worked with TJ's and 440 J D's there good machines, for dollar up keep, easy to work on , you can't beat the  C5d, its a reliable skidder.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

mad murdock

Garrett Model 10 or Model 15 or 15A. There are a few of them around.  They were the precursor of the CanCar line of Tree Farmers, Garrett invented the Tree Farmer and trademarked the name. They sold it to CanCar in the lat 1960's.  Early C4 is almost the same machine from what I can see.  Parts are easy to get at any autoparts store.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

CX3

I sure do like a 440 john deere
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

cjfrank

I surely tink you cud fin an old pettybone for lil or not'n and they too have da parts at napa. Me too from up der in does parts of mn. You betcha, don't ya no. I wurk in da voods ovr der.
cjfrank, 1976 clark 664 skidder
Model 4000 Iron Mule Forwarder
1958 JD 620 Tractor
1990 peterbuilt straight truck with lemco loader, 2009 Woodmizer LT40 w/12' Extension

logman81

I'm thinking a c4 tree farmer with the 353 Detroit might be the machine for me. There's a guy near me in Connecticut that is selling a older c4 for $6500 I might just go check it out if he still has it. He says it is in good working condition and the price seems fair if it works like it should. Does any one know or have any specs on these machines.   

lumberjack48

A C4 with a 353 was called a pulp wood special, it had the light rear ends , my brother had one. With any of these older machines i would make sure it had the heavy rear ends.
The skidder in the pic had all 3 names on it, Garrett, CanCar, and Tree Farmer, a C4 like the one in the pic would be a find with a 4 cylinder Ford  Industrial gas engine, i could pull 20 cords on 5 to 7 gals. I personally would not buy anything with a Ford Diesel engine.
A older 440 John Deere with a stick shift would be a good find. The only problem i remember were the steel hyd lines, boy were hard to change, they were all changed over to rubber as they broke[ 40 yrs ago ]
Its really hard to buy a older skidder with out buying a money pit, there is so much to look for, motor, clutch, tran, rear ends, winch, frame cracks, steering cylinders, blade cylinders, hyd pump, tires, radiator, ujoints and the blade for cracks, it can get scary and over whelming.
This is why i used to lease with option to buy a skidder before i bought it, i would make sure it was a good one.

Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

logman81

Are the rockwell rears a must in a small skidder like the c4. What did most of them come with for axles? Are there any specific things to watch out for on the c4 models. What are the specs on the the machine? It is a 1974 machine, what does it weigh?, Model of winch? Where can you get the paint for it? Any info you can be provided this would be my first skidder so I'm trying to learn about them and get as much info before I start looking around so I will know what to look for. :)

madmari

I went through this process in the last year. Started with a tractor and then bought a IH S7 (1968) skidder with a 3-53 and gearmatic 19 for small money. The machine worked good, but really tippy. I found out the hard way that there were serious front axle cracks that had been welded by somebody that should not weld.
   I then bought a Timberjack 230 after scouring it with a magnifying glass for 7 hours. This has a 3-53 and is really nice to work on. Parts are  readily available and the machine is very stable and tough. It's easier to get on and off and did I mention it's tough?
  Never ran a TF c4, but I looked at afew- I still prefer the TJ.
  Best of luck- really check out any machine you look at!
I know why dogs stick thier head out the car window.

lumberjack48

Logman81, one more thing, make sure to check the front cradle bushings, and the pivot bushings, the middle of the skidder, if these are wore out, pretty big repair. 
  Some guys run there equipment right in the ground, my father had a C5d, he ran it 16 yrs never fixed anything. When he retired, that poor old C5, i don't think there was one thing that didn't need work, it was like a dish rag, he sold it for $3500. ,i thought that was to much money for junk.   

maine tree farmer

Great postings,

I have a c4 with  Garrett written in weld script under the arch and Can Car on either side of the nose, the transfer case is called a Tree Farmer. I think it's a 1964, and has a 172ci. Ford Diesel.

I've been told it was the first articulating skidder. I remember in 1964 seeing the first front end loader (Payloader?)that articulated, and had everyone excited.

I've always wondered if that concept started with an early Tree Farmer (Can Car )?????

logman81

Thanks for all the info keep it coming! Need to know anything and everything I can about the c4. Are the rockwell axles a must for this size skidder? Where can you get paint for it? I like to have my equipment looking good when I take them to jobs. That is if I can find one. What is the average price for a good running c4?

ga jones

I have a 1963 tree farmer . Ive pulled some realy big red oak with it 40 inch at the stump. 70 feet (one at a time) but the machine handles it. Granted i dont do long pulls. A few hundred yards. Ive also pulled tree lenght hemlock 24 inch at the stump 3 at a time. Mine is a 353 detroit with 18.4x34 tires And It is a little tipsy..The best thing is to find whats popular in your area .Thats the easyest thing and other people near you can help you figure things out.timberjacks around here but I couldnt pass up the price on my tf.
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

lumberjack48

I worked for a guy that had a 1960 Garrett, it was dam'est looking thing, the back end was all tube frame, it had a Ford gas motor[ 4 cylinder ].
Have you tractor loggers looked at that Farmi, i don't know anything about them, looks pretty slick to me. [ hooks up to the 3 point hitch ]

logman81

I've got a fransguard winch on my 40 hp tractor. Very similar to the farmi it works very well for skidding firewood logs and doing thinnings. I saw a Garrett for sale awhile back on the net it had a ford diesel in it and a deere winch cool little skidder. :) Sounds like the c4 machines can pull some decent wood as long as it has the 353 in it. ;D Love the sound of them I work with a guy who has a clark 664 with the 353.

Ironwood

I think you could find something like this Ditch Witch, little Ford diesel, and wayyy cool. I think he wanted $4500 I dunno if hes still got it.

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

red

Brave man to stand there while you did Donuts Reid
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

mad murdock

Quote from: maine tree farmer on January 07, 2011, 02:44:23 PM
Great postings,

I have a c4 with  Garrett written in weld script under the arch and Can Car on either side of the nose, the transfer case is called a Tree Farmer. I think it's a 1964, and has a 172ci. Ford Diesel.

I've been told it was the first articulating skidder. I remember in 1964 seeing the first front end loader (Payloader?)that articulated, and had everyone excited.

I've always wondered if that concept started with an early Tree Farmer (Can Car )?????

Dwight Garrett of Enumclaw, Washington invented the articulated skidder in 1949, built the model 10 and model 15/15A Tree Farmer into the 1960's and sold the Tree Farmer trade marked name and the design to CanCar. Garrett went on building skidders into the 1980's (model 21, model 30), and continued to support the type selling parts for the machines and helping operators up until last year when the grandson of Dwight Garrett, Don Garrett passed away.  https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,44818.0.html
this is a thread on the subject from a few months back.  http://www.vannattabros.com/skidder.html this webpage gives a concise history of the skidder, with pictures and other info.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

logman81

That ditch witch is cool but I need a purpose built machine for the woods. Don't want to spend to much time modifying something to make it work. Thanks for the history on the tree farmers very interesting. I would like to know how the c4's perform in the woods. Are they tippy? How much wood can they pull in a turn? Weight? Winch pulling power? Any week points? 

Ironwood

I actually looked that thing over pretty good, and it looks fine for woods work, and at $4500, I figured the hoe on the front was worth around $1500-2000 alone. Do what you will, but if I were looking for a small skidder that Ditch Witch would be awsome. There was a 440 right across the yard from it (borrowed one here on property for 3 months once,s o I know the machine) and other than the winch they would be pretty  compareable in the woods. AND big and, parts for the Ditch Witch may be easier and cheaper to find, just look at all the listings people have for older skidder parts, just a thought..........

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

lumberjack48

I ran and owned c4's and c5's for 30 yrs, with Perkins, Ford [diesel & gas], Detroit [ 353 & 453] and the Deutz 5 cylinder air cooled engines .
Winch's, model 8 & 9 Gearmatic, model 19 & 20 Gearmatic and the Tulsa Hyd winch.
I ran the small and the big planetary rear ends, tire's, 16.9x30's. 18.4x34's and 18.4x26's

I never believed in over loading, i always tried to average a cord a every turn and making 4 to 6 turns a hour, with a c4 or the c5. If i had a long pull i would double up my drags.
I don't remember the pulling power on the model 9, but i know it would break a 9/16 mainline, trust me its all the winch you'd ever need. I skidded many thou's of cords with the 9, 19 and the 20 Gearmatic there all a very good winch's, I've rebuild them, a simple winch.
[Tippy]  You do not want 18.4x34's on a c4 it's a accident waiting to happen. I used 16.9x30's on my c4, i never had a problem on steep ground. But its like anything you have to know your machines limits. [ 18.4x26's would be the better pick]
I used c5's with 18.4x34's and the 18.4x26's , a c5 with 18.4x26's road better, pulled better, and was stabler on steep ground
Here's my pick, a c5d with a 353, model 19 or 20 Gearmatic, with 18.4x26 tires, its the best all around, when you get in bigger wood, she'll huff & puff and blow black smoke and head for the landing.
If i wasn't in this wheelchair, I'd go look'in with you, I'd give it the road test.

logman81

Thank you so much for the info on the tree farmers lumberjack48. It seems you are the one to talk to when it comes to these skidders. Your right about the winches that's plenty of pulling power for me. I think I'll have to start looking for one, probably a c4 with the 353 and 18.4x26 tires I think the smaller machine would be best. I do mostly thinnings for private land owners and skid firewood for them and my self. What are the difference's between the c4 and c5?

lumberjack48

The c5 is all around heavier machine, like i said in a earlier post, a c4 with a 353 was called a pulp wood special. A c4 came with the light rear ends, the c5 has the heavy ones.
A c5 will get around just as good as a c4 in a small area.
The only thing is the braking system, all the TF's i had came with the drum brake, this was a broblem.
The best is to convert this to a disk brake system, i did this to my c5, i got what i needed off a junked S8 International. pretty simple fix.

Thank You Sponsors!