iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

J.A. FAY resaw

Started by sawthemlogs, January 04, 2011, 11:12:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawthemlogs

this is what ive been working on last couple of months

i have the guide rollers adjusted to cut bevel lapsiding

I am planning to find a more modern blade with carbides,,,it currently has 20 inch diameter ,36 tooth  blade
It appears that it had a 24 " diameter at one time,,,or at least theres room for one,,,,Has anyone seen anything like this before...i do know fay was noted for wood working equipment...thanks for looking and be safe
R.D.

r.man

Nice saw. We should be saying to you, be safe. Not much in the line of guards on that one. I also like your cutting torch cart, you never have to worry about a flat tire.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

captain_crunch

How come I get the feeing that critter could launch a board into next county if it was of a mind to ::) ::)
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

trim4u2nv

I saw one of those at an old lumberyard (long since closed.)  He also had a gigantic pendulum saw.  He used to buy 2 by cedar and make custom shiplap and obsolete pieces of siding.  He had a splitter downstream of the blade.  I think the two holes in yours is where it mounted.  He took 1/4 inch plexiglass placed over the top and back as a safety guard.  The feed opening had a mail slot type affair turned on its side to prevent kickbacks.  Put a windshield wiper blade inside to wipe off the sawdust.   Worked pretty good but those little slivers had hit the plexigass a few times.  Could see a few spidercracks where they hit.

fishpharmer

Sawthemlogs, you have that machine looking good. Do you have any before restoration pics? Very interesting castings on the framework, almost more art than industrial.  What power source will you use?  Also, did you have to replace any of the babbit bearings?
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

sawthemlogs

Good eye trim.. yes i am planning on fabricating on a splitter to put on it. when i got this it was on a pallet, completely disassembled..the frame had been broken....on one frame it was in 6 pieces rather than one....this old stuff was very difficult to weld...tried everything...nickel ,stainless.mig.brass.and anything else i had...i ended up brazing cast back in..i didnt replace any of the babitt...
I diffenetly wont be using this thing very much at all...maybe once a year for demo purpose...just like keeping things like this from going to china as scrap.
just going to use one of the farm tractors for power. now that it has been mentioned. i would like any ideas as to what power it may have been used in its better days? maybe steam.horse.or water.
   THANKS  for any commments or suggestions,,,especially when it concerns safety
R.D.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

inwoodcutter

That is a beautiful machine. I could see some red pinstriping on those decorative castings. That was pretty common bach then. I saw one of these on another forum last month.

Dan
Dan Warner
"there's money in that slab"

Dave_

Awesome looking machine!!

You've probably already been here, but OWWM has some good pictures of a machine like yours

http://owwm.com/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=11700

KyTreeFarmer

Great job looks good!  Are you gonna take it to a machinery show this spring?
KTF
Woodmizer LT15G
Belsaw from Sears & Roebucks
8N Ford
87 Kubota 2550 W/FEL

b dukes

sawthemlogs

Quote from: Dave_ on January 05, 2011, 01:30:47 PM
Awesome looking machine!!

You've probably already been here, but OWWM has some good pictures of a machine like yours

http://owwm.com/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=11700
thanks for the link.actually i hadnt seen it...if i had i would have used the red instead of the yellow....the reason i used the green i found few spots with some left to match
R.D.

Ironwood

Beautiful, absolutely beautiful. You can tell it is pre 1880's just by the sweeping and graceful base casting.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Dave_

I don't think you went wrong with the yellow.  It looks great.  I wouldn't assume that the red lettering on the other machine is original.  It's 140+ years old.  No telling how many times it was repainted.

Ironwood

I have had several very early machines here w/ the original pinstriping still visible and many times they are black w/ red striping. One was an early scroll saw base that had original paint , it looks just like a wooden table including ogee edge. The other was an 1860-70 "ish" tenoner, complete and original paint, it had Cochran & Sons, Liberty St. Pittsburgh cast into it's base. No one has EVER heard of that company anwhere, OWWM, or regionally. It was likely the only machine built by this company in exsistance. I tried to donate it to the Hienze History Center in Pittsburgh, they said "if it is not sports related, we're not interested" :( ::) I was PITHED to say the least. We were a industrial center during the civil war, and it is likely that this was part of that effort. Fortunately one of my customers was putting together a little "museum" of tools on their property so I gave it to them for safe keeping.

Looks great
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Dave_

Next time you have a problem finding a home for your old machines, drop me a line ;D  I will gladly add them to my "museum"

Ironwood

I just found a wonderful and HUGE timber framed log cider press. It needs a good home before it rots away. main vertical is a 20"x20" beam slotted for the 30-40' log press beam. I will try to make sure it goes to a "site" where many can appreciate it, unfortunately the local historical societies burned a bridge w/ the gentleman. Neat property, nice guy too. There was a boiler fired gristmill on the site in the early to mid 1800's, all sorts of artifacts around the property including the 1852 wooden flywheel from the mill with names and dates carved on it, 75" in diameter. That one is fortunately protected indoors. Big chimney is still standing from the mill. Also has a running gear for a conestoga wagon.  Like I said cool place.

Ironwood

Thank You Sponsors!