iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need to replace stolen Sthil MS 210 chainsaw

Started by Bibbyman, January 03, 2011, 06:15:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

I know,  I'm not around this part of the Forum.  But maybe you can help me with this one.

Had our Sthil MS 210 chainsaw ripped off.  Looking to replace it.  The saw fit our needs real will and would just buy another one.  But aparently that model has been replaced by MS 211.  Talked with the loacal dealer and he's not a salesman at all.  But he's awful good at fixing saws and other small engine equipment.  He gave me some info on the MS 211.  It wasn't like he was recomending it.  We didn't buy.

We've had Husqvarna saws before and it wasn't a good experiance.

We don't need a profesional grade saw as I only use it for trimming limbs, nots, spurs that the loggers leave.  And sometimes butt off or buck a log.   We had this one 4 years and I think I just put the second new chain on it.

Anything you can tell me about the MS 211?  Good/bad?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

ladylake

I've heard the 211 runs good, but a Husky 435 has a little more power with both being close in quality. I run a Echo CS400 around the mill $200 on Ebay, As they come the limiter caps need to be pulled and adjusted richer to pull good. I modded the muff on mine and it really cuts for 40cc, 13# ready to cut and it will start on the 1st pull without choking even after sitting quite a while which is nice around the mill. Over on Ebay the have a Redmax GZ400 for $159 shipped, they run good and if stolen you wouldn't be out much. Husky owns Redmax now.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

peterc38

Quote from: Bibbyman on January 03, 2011, 06:15:58 PM

Anything you can tell me about the MS 211?  Good/bad?

I haven't run one but the MS211 has gotten good reviews from what I have seen. It has improved air filtration, anti-vibe and a much better power to weight ratio than the MS210.
Kubota L4060 Cab
562XP
371XP
346XP
Fiskars "Super Splitter"
Logrite 60" Peavey
Huskee 22 ton splitter
2 Great Danes

Bibbyman

How about the Sthil MS 250?  Looks like the MS 210 we had.  Maybe simpler than the new MS 211?

Do you think the MS 250 would run the 18" bar option better than the MS 211?

I have an old 044 with 25" bar I use when the going gets tough - like bucking up logs or falling trees but I about have to have someone hold a gun on me to start the thing as it's kick about pulls my sholder out of socket.  Maybe if I had an 18" bar on the 250 I wouldn't have to use the 044 so often.
Sawing since '94

wannabeonetoo

I would think a ms260 would fit the bill. Powerful little saw a bit more spendy than the 250 but you could ask it to do a bit of the "liftin" you described to 044 is doing. JMO.

Steve

Bibbyman

Quote from: wannabeonetoo on January 04, 2011, 08:01:10 PM
I would think a ms260 would fit the bill. Powerful little saw a bit more spendy than the 250 but you could ask it to do a bit of the "liftin" you described to 044 is doing. JMO.

Steve

Yowsers!  :o  The 250 is suggested retail of $309.  260 is $509.00.  For sure it'd have to be a better, longer lasting saw.  But I don't use any saw very much.  In fact,  in the sawshed we use an $80 Sears electric chainsaw.  It probably cuts 100x more then the Sthils do.
Sawing since '94

Bill Gaiche

Bibbyman, I have the 211 and I use it for trees up to 16" with no problem. Limbing and cutting wood also. It has been a real good saw for me and I would buy it again. I have had it for year now. Good luck, bg

Saw Dr.

The 250 is a good "bang for your buck" saw.  They will certainly pull an 18" bar better than a 210.  The issue becomes chain oiling on those 1123 saws (021,023,025,210,230,250).  They're all the same saw with differeing engine sizes.  The fixed volume oiler is the same on all of them, and does well with a 14" bar.  Run an 18 on any of them with a slightly dull chain and the bar will get hot very quickly. 

I have no experience with the 211, but the people who have them say that they make impressive power once they break in.  Your dealer is used to old-school things which work well.  He is probably not terribly interested in the strato technology contained in the 211, but it IS here to stay.  You can be sure parts for that 211 will be available for 10-15 years at minimum.  Everyone was afraid of electronic fuel injection on cars when it came out.  Go try and buy one without it now....

If you are looking for an inexpensive saw, I would recommend finding a good used 025.  It is an older version of the 250 without the fancy fuel caps.  The mufflers are a little free-er flowing too.  Those can usually be found for $150 or less on Craigslist.  Be warned that all 1123 saws like to eat crank seals, and any used one may need them replaced.  Fuel lines can crack on them too due to crummy fuels available now and age.  Good luck.
I don't try to explain to others why I play with chainsaws.  For those who already know, no explanation is needed.  For those who do not, no explanation is POSSIBLE!

Super 250

Bibbyman

We had an 024 and used it for a couple of years but not much.  It looked like a new saw when it just died.  Took it in for repair and was told the cylinder had washed down and scored and could not be repaired.  One of us could have put raw gas in it I guess.  Or maybe the ethanol.   Anyway,  it kind of turned us off from investing the extra for "professional grade" saws.
Sawing since '94

miking

I found the same oiler issues with the older 025's too. I don't know how many bar oil pumps we went through with that model over the years, but the MS250's didn't improve it.
Echo CS530, 600 and 680 chainsaws, SRM410U brushcutter, PB500 blower and PP265 power pruner. Also a Stihl 192c for the lil' stuff.

Al_Smith

Quote from: Bibbyman on January 05, 2011, 07:28:22 AM
We had an 024 and used it for a couple of years but not much.  It looked like a new saw when it just died.  Took it in for repair and was told the cylinder had washed down and scored and could not be repaired.  One of us could have put raw gas in it I guess.  Or maybe the ethanol.   Anyway,  it kind of turned us off from investing the extra for "professional grade" saws.
Well I didn't see it so I wouldn't know .This I do know however about some dealers ,they'd much rather sell you a new saw as repair an old one .

That saw by the discription most likely ran out lean for one reason  or another ,bad seal wrong carb setting or something . I for one have resurrected supposedly dead saws that dealers said had came to the end of their life and I'm sure I'm not alone  on that .Fact being on that subject ,dealers are one of my favorite sources of rebuilders .My last was an MS 200T that had lodged a pin in the flywheel .20 bucks and I had it purring like a kitten 1 hour after I had it on the bench . 8)

Bibbyman

I ended up putting the 024 in a neighbor's farm auction.  Told the auctioneer to sale it for parts as it was not rebuildable.  They sold the few items I brought last and most of the people had gone.  The saw brought $5.00.  I had put a new chain on it too.   :'(

I have about a half dozen Homelite XL12s on a shelf in the sawshed.  We ran one for 20 years.  Broke a handle bracket and went to the local saw shop to try to get one.   They went back and started taking one off a newer version that was in better shape than the saw I was fixin.  I bought the whole saw for $20.00 and used it for several more years.  They had a PU load of XL 12 chainsaws in a pile in the back of the shed.

At least those old XL12 were made of metal.  ::)
Sawing since '94

alleyyooper

I also like the NEW Echo's. The CS 400 and CS450 are not as expencive as a husky or sthil for the cc's. The CS450 has the umph to run a 18 inch bar too.

:D  Al
your not fully dressed with out a smile.

Al_Smith

Quote from: Bibbyman on January 05, 2011, 09:13:20 AM
I ended up putting the 024 in a neighbor's farm auction.  Told the auctioneer to sale it for parts as it was not rebuildable.  They sold the few items I brought last and most of the people had gone.  The saw brought $5.00.  I had put a new chain on it too.   :'(

You about give them away at a farm auction .I've bought servicable saws for as little as 3 dollars .It just boils down to the fact that most people are clueless of how to repair a saw or to even diagnose what's wrong with them . Fact being lots of good saws have gotten shelved over the years from something as simple as a carb rebuild ---or taking a dealers word for something as if it were Gospel truth .Too bad .

ladylake

Now I know why I recomend my muff modded CS400, I did some timed cuts today and that little saw cuts. 

Stihl 029 stock with a new chiesel chain
17-3/4#  16" bar full of fuel and oil  15 seconds

Husky Rancher stock 55 new chiesel chain
  15-1/2#  full 16" bar   20 seconds

Echo CS400 muff modd with a new lo pro semi chiesel
13-1/4#  full  with a 16" bar 15 to 16 seconds, for $200 of Ebay you can't go wrong if you can tune and muff modd a saw.   Steve

Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Cut4fun

Bibbyman there is a MS210 about a 50 min round trip from me.

Stihl ms210 with 16" bar and 2 chains runs great $150 call only 11111111 no sunday calls please

If you want me to look see.

Bibbyman

Well,  the votes are in and the winner is..... Sthil MS 250 with 18" bar.

Thanks for the input.  I probably could have chosen a 100 other saws that would have worked as well or maybe better but I feel I couldn't have went too wrong.  This one looks, feels and operates just like the old 210 and that's a plus for me.

Mary delivered a load of lumber today.  I asked her to stop by the Sthil dealer on her back trip and look at the MS 211 and the MS 250.  Compare the two side by side – ask the dealer about them, etc.   She came home with the MS 250.  I asked her with the dealer had to say about the 211.  She said nothing as she didn't ask him about the 211.  Well.... Ok.  (Now who listens?)

I had about a half hour before dark to see how it worked.  I went out and sawed up an old elm top that had fallen in the backside of the loglot.   It started and ran fine.  Until something goes wrong,  I'm happy.

I did note that by the time I'd cut up the dry elm top, the chain was tight and was dry.   A couple of farmer brothers were over today and they're big Sthil fans.  I asked them about the 211 vs. the 250 and they commented on the 250 not pumping enough oil for the chain.   They didn't have experience with the 211.  They said there was a high-performance oilier available for the 250 series.
Sawing since '94

Al_Smith

I've never even seen a 210 or this 250 you speak of .If however they have a fixed rate oiler like the 029's that never worked out real well .

Those consumer type saws did work fine for what they were intended for but they would not hold up under professional usage .I have whole box full of dead 029's and 039's in my shed .I hope you have good luck with your saw though .

Bibbyman

Quote from: Al_Smith on January 05, 2011, 09:21:23 PM
I've never even seen a 210 or this 250 you speak of .If however they have a fixed rate oiler like the 029's that never worked out real well .

Those consumer type saws did work fine for what they were intended for but they would not hold up under professional usage .I have whole box full of dead 029's and 039's in my shed .I hope you have good luck with your saw though .

I think our use falls in the "occasional use" category.   I have problems with mixing up a gallon of gas and it go bad or get water in it before I can use it all up in two chainsaws.  I could only guess but I suspect I don't use over a couple of gallons of chainsaw gas a year.

Is there any sure way of buying ethanol free gas?  I talked to our bulk fuel distributor and they say they may or may not have it.  I drove through a small town last year that had a sign at a gas station that said they had ethanol free gas.

Sawing since '94

wannabeonetoo

Buy some fuel stabilizer to mix in all your 2-strokes. Get the Marine Stabil brand,it's formulated especially to take care of ethanol in gas, as I understand it it is because of the greater chance of moisture getting into "boat" fuel systems and the alcohol & water combine to reek havoc.

Steve

SwampDonkey

Bib, I'd suggest something in the 50 odd CC class for that 18" bar. We tried smaller saws in the 40cc class just for bucking firewood and they didn't have the power we needed to get the job done. The firewood logs we cut are not great big monsters, no bigger than 18" inches on the big end.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Al_Smith

Well that fuel can be  problem .I know in my little life I might go through a couple gallons a day or the stuff might sit in a can for a month or two .What I usually do is if the fuel gets over about a month and a half on it is dump it in my old tractor and get new saw gas .

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Al_Smith on January 05, 2011, 09:01:57 AM
dealers are one of my favorite sources of rebuilders .My last was an MS 200T that had lodged a pin in the flywheel .20 bucks and I had it purring like a kitten 1 hour after I had it on the bench . 8)

:D Not when they go looking for a price in the book on a used part from the bone pile. I say thank you for your time and good bye.  :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

weimedog

Quote from: Al_Smith on January 06, 2011, 05:30:10 AM
Well that fuel can be  problem .I know in my little life I might go through a couple gallons a day or the stuff might sit in a can for a month or two .What I usually do is if the fuel gets over about a month and a half on it is dump it in my old tractor and get new saw gas .

Yup..the old International W-4 gets all my old gasoline..doesn't mind at all!!
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Bibbyman

Quote from: wannabeonetoo on January 05, 2011, 11:26:25 PM
Buy some fuel stabilizer to mix in all your 2-strokes. Get the Marine Stabil brand,it's formulated especially to take care of ethanol in gas, as I understand it it is because of the greater chance of moisture getting into "boat" fuel systems and the alcohol & water combine to reek havoc.

Steve

I typically put Stabil in all the gas we use in small engines.  I haven't had as many problems as in the past.  Also,  I'm more careful to dump out the last bit of gas out of a jug (dad always did this) than to use it.  And to dump the last bit of gas out of a tank that's been setting for awhile before filling with gas.  It just irks me to no end to have to doctor up something that should be right to begin with.

Don't get me stated on the government and how it's conspiring to screw us around at ever turn!
Sawing since '94

Thank You Sponsors!