iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cedar log price check......

Started by MotorSeven, January 03, 2011, 04:01:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MotorSeven

Well guys & gals, we did the basement block(30x36x10' high) a year ago October, then ran out of $, so it went on the back burner. The money tree sprouted a a decent crop recently and since I have already cut and skidded most of my own ERC, I need to buy some. I have a quote of $6.50 a ton delivered, and that is 10" or better on the small end, 8-14' long.

I have never bought logs before, so is this a fair price? I figure I will need around 50 ton to cut the rest of the 6x6 logs for the house.

RD

WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

beenthere

What is fair is what you are willing to pay, and what the seller is willing to sell for. At least it seems to me.
The quality of the logs would be of most interest at that price quoted.
::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

MotorSeven

I'll shoot some pics, but what I looked at today on their logging site had about an inch of white(outer ring), the rest was solid red.

As far as price, I want to pay a fair price, not get gouged. I did not negotiate the price(yet) & that is what the logger quoted me. His truck generally holds 10 ton, so $650 a load. They will run it thru a scale & give me a weight slip> I have no idea of how many big green ERC's will be on a 10 ton truck...guessing 20ish?
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

ely

cedar i dont think weighs anywhere near other woods. at 6.50 a ton i think that would be a smoking deal. buts thats just my initial thinking. are you certain the figures in the first post are correct. if so it would be 100 ton for 650 dollars. ;)

MotorSeven

Whoops, $65 a ton...loose the decimal point ;D

$650 for a 10 ton load.............
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

Cedarman

I believe American Wood Fibers pays $67 to $75 per ton.  I pay $85 for sound logs in tree length to 3".  $65 per ton for sound logs is a good price.  That is about 30 cents per foot on the cedar scale, maybe a little more.  Ball park figure is that cedar weighs about 11# per board foot.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

ely

thats good to know richard, i would not have guessed that at all. 11pounds a board foot.

MotorSeven

Thanks CM, then it's a more than fair deal to me....bueno. What I looked at the other day was good quality, I would be suprised if thay all look that good, but this is good country for quality cedar...steep, rocky & limey soil. The logger said that on the next track of land he has a whole ridgeside that will go over 30". I'd love to have them, but they won't fit on my mill :o Usually that big they tend to get hollow anyway.

RD
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

DouginUtah

Cedarman,

Does cedar have a LOT of water when green? The reason I ask is that at 10% MC cedar weighs less than 25# per Cubic FOOT, according to what's-his-name--the author of Understanding Wood.
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

Cedarman

Ball park for green eastern red cedar is about 3.1# per board foot.  So that makes it 36# per cubic foot.  Dry cedar will weigh about 2.8# per board foot.  Green cedar heart wood is about 25 to 30 MC.  Sapwood is a whole lot higher.  My meter pegs off the scale on sapwood and I have never done an oven check.  When we saw 4/4 cedar we saw at about 1" to 1 1/16".  You do not get the little drying cracks in cedar so it doesn't require that much to plane off to get good lumber.
We have a 5000# scale we use to weigh the pallets of lumber we ship.  1000 board feet of air dried lumber 12% MC will be real close to 3000#.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

MotorSeven

Well, the guy stiffed me...no logs. The weather was bad through the end of Jan when  I stopped by and confirmed that I would need 6-10 loads. We have had great weather for 3 weeks, so I went back expecting to see a huge pils of logs on his landing. What I saw was "end of job "clean-up in progress and a big pile of cedar FLITCHES!
The guy barely looked me in the eye & gave me some lame story about his hauler quitting and the land owner deciding to have his logs sawed up by  portable band. So, I have lost a good month when I could have been out talking to other loggers.

It's a *DanG shame when a handshake doesn't mean anything anymore........... smiley_thumbsdown
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

SwampDonkey

I have seen some of these wheeler/dealers that make offers and have no title to the wood, they are often only hired to cut it, not market it. Then there are the fly by the seat types that will drop a verbal  agreement for pennies more somewhere else, as fickle as a pimp. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SDB777

Deleted comment

Here is an example of the kind of PM the Admins put up with fairly regularly when members (usually newer ones) get on their high horse and abuse the forum.  To make sure that the forum is punished sufficiently, they delete their posts, like this one did, or find some other way of trying to bolster their bravado. This one hails from Arkansas. I guess even a fine state like that has its grumps.

I suppose that this makes him feel better.

QuoteSo if I offended your delicate feelings....so what! 
Well, back to trying to read all of the posts that are being made.  It's tough to keep up when you have to read them all.  Most are only concerned with five or six.  Heck, this guy only has 11 posts himself.  I guess he couldn't handle being a "Real" member.
Homelite (POS)$30 saw for bucking
Stihl MS390 w/24" for ripping

carykong

You can get a rough estimate of a truckload of cedar by using this online scale that converts volume to lbs.

https://forestryforum.com/calcs/log_weight.htm

It would be safe to say that eastern red cedar is 20 to 30% lighter than typical volumes of pine. Good luck finding another source for your cedar logs.

weisyboy

i nearly had a fit when i saw 6.50/ton i pay over 150/ton for hardwood that would weigth twice that.

65/ton is better. at 6.50 id consider shiping it over here.
god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia
www.weisssawmilling.com.au
http://www.youtube.com/user/weisyboy?feature=mhee
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000696669814&sk=photos

Thank You Sponsors!