iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

birds in Arkansas ???

Started by isawlogs, January 02, 2011, 10:31:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

isawlogs

Has anybody found why the birds fell out of the sky ???     :o
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Mooseherder

Looks like they'll know more with testing tomorrow.
Maybe the scientists didn't want to cut their weekend short. ::)
This could be a really weird phenomenon.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/01/02/arkansas.falling.birds/index.html

SPIKER

just amazing for sure that this happened thanks for posting I didnt see it here in OHIO on any of the news stations.

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

isawlogs

might be the begining of 2012 !!!
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

DouginUtah

Also, I bet fishfarmer will be telling us about the 100,000 fish that have been found dead in Arkansas.
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

Larry

On TV this morning they said either weather or fireworks.  They also showed guys in hazmat suits picking up birds.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Norm

In the fall and spring we get huge flocks of grackles migrating through. I can imagine that would be the result if a bolt of lightening went through the middle of one.

ely

could possibly be gopher bait is the culprit. :o

Chuck White

This morning CNN said it was Red Wing Black Birds and Starlings that fell from the sky.
I don't care about the Red Wing's, but it wouldn't hurt my feelings to get rid of more of the Starlings.

Also, the fish story.  I don't see how fireworks would "tie in" with fish dieing!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

fishpharmer

Unlikely, but ponder this, one of the Arkansas tornadoes sucked the flock up into the stratosphere.  Then they finally dropped down in Beebe. :o

If that doesn't work for you, I like the lightning theory. 

The fish kill has the appearance of dissolved oxygen depletion.  The reason I say that is every photo I looked at showed the dead fish with open mouths.  Fish dead with open mouth is a sure sign of low oxygen.  Still many unknowns, the AGFC should be able to solve this. 
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Warbird

My guess is it's due to the extreme weather they recently had there.

Jeff

Yea, I surprised that was not even mentioned.   I think I've told about it before, but Tammy and I were out in a boat one time on lake of the hills. Perfectly calm day, absolutely clear blue skies. All of the sudden leaves started raining around us hitting the water. We looked up and as far as you could see, leaves were falling. Just a surreal experience. It had to be that some far off storm, probably a tornado, had lifted them into some upper lever air stream and we happened to be sitting in the spot where they decided to come down.  It really was weird and amazing. 
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Warbird

I think it was the aliens messing with you, Jeff.  And now they are messing with the birds.  ;)

doctorb

I agree.  Messin' with the Warbirds. ;D
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

chain

Sometimes blackbirds that have become nusiances to communites are sprayed on their roost with detergents. Rainfall must be  imminent, and cool temps necsssary; detergents and rainfall wash off bird's oil causing wetting, chill, and death.

Jeff

I doubt if that is likely. Illness would be more random. Trauma would be more likely. The birds all fell within a mile all about the same time. Knocked right out of flight.  Maybe the Andromeda Strain all over again.

beenthere

Quote from: ely on January 03, 2011, 09:28:28 AM
could possibly be gopher bait is the culprit. :o

For the birds falling?
How so?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Larry

It's fairly common for cats and dogs to fall from the sky, sometimes frogs, but never birds.  I vote aliens.  As for the fish maybe somebody had a little accident with there still...I bet Arky knows. :)
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

ely

someone tired of them roosting near home may have fed them gopher bait. it will kill em. the gopher bait i am talking about is the treated milo grain.

chain

Quote from: Jeff on January 03, 2011, 12:57:02 PM
I doubt if that is likely. Illness would be more random. Trauma would be more likely. The birds all fell within a mile all about the same time. Knocked right out of flight.  Maybe the Andromeda Strain all over again.   
Drama, suspence, cameras!  I read one local blog in Beebe, Ar.today, where a local resident claims there was a serious bird problem, that the mayor and others were trying cannons and other harrassments to drive the birds away. That this incident began around 11:30 p.m. and several species of birds found may indicate use of a detergent application. This does require a federal permit, yet as far as infomation goes presently, "a possible act of God", no other evidence to the contrary. ???

Tom

Might've been an aircraft strike.  It goes both ways, I figure.

It also might be Arkansawyer, or one of his buddies, who is making up for lost income and was planning for squab, or whatever you would call redwing blackbird, to ease the grocery budget.  :D

Ianab

Has happened here before. Seems the birds had been feeding on some old grain that had been dumped and gone mouldy. The mould was toxic, they all ate their fill and flew away, 5 mins later the whole flock were poisoned and it's raining dead birds.  :-\

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Jeff

Report coming up momentarily they say on nbc nightly news

Dale Hatfield

i wounder how long starlacide takes to kill ?
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

Don_Papenburg

Another possibility is the birds are miagatiting just flying along and hit one of them updrafts it pulls them up into the thinner colder air . the birds freeze or sufficate then plumet to the earth. 
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Brad_S.

The report I read states there were no toxins or poisons found in them but they all had experienced blunt force trama to their bodies and were dead before they hit the ground.

Aliens! That's my take!
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Tom

Yep!  See there!  I told you it was them Arkansans and their slingshots.  Uh Huh!  ;D

chain

Quote from: Tom on January 03, 2011, 09:11:29 PM
Yep!  See there!  I told you it was them Arkansans and their slingshots.  Uh Huh!  ;D
I think you're getting right on it, Tom. You see, I live right close to Arkansas; it was just a few years ago they thought they saw Ivory-billed woodpeckers, a bird that has been extinct for seventy-five years...actually, we [taxpayers] were the woodpeckers as we fell for it and sent in millions to find the mysterious bird of the swamp. Now, it seems, we've been had again, no doubt Washington bureaucrats and experts of every kind will advance to Beebe to spend another several million on the 'birds', why didn't we think of that? ;)

Jasperfield

Regardless, you will neither hear nor see useful, actual news on any network outlet; be it ABC, NBC, or CBS. And certainly not on CNN.

To receive news, rather than entertainment, you're going to have to go to one or more of the following: Drudge Report, Wall Street Journal, London Financial Times, CNBC financial, CNS News, Bloomberg Financial, Washington Times, National Journal, etc.

The internet is the remaining source for "news".

tyb525

I still believe it might be another "sign", to go along with the dead fish, the weird weather, politics, etc., that could point to "something".
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

DanG

There was a report of more birds falling in Louisiana yesterday. ???
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Texas Ranger

Well, it is duck season down here. 8)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

D Hagens

Quote from: Texas Ranger on January 05, 2011, 02:04:18 PM
Well, it is duck season down here. 8)

:D :D :D :D Now that's the best explanation yet. :D :D :D

beenthere

Quote from: tyb525 on January 05, 2011, 12:44:41 PM
I still believe it might be another "sign", to go along with the dead fish, the weird weather, politics, etc., that could point to "something".
:D :D :D :D    :D (dat's worth one more laugh :) )
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

northwoods1

Quote from: tyb525 on January 05, 2011, 12:44:41 PM

I remember when I was young, yes I still can remember back that far :D , it was quite a rare thing to see a bald eagle. In fact there wasn't many raptors or birds of prey around like there had been years before. It took some person to think , hmmmm... I wonder why? Maybe it is a sign of something... Then enough people took an interest and put 2+2 together and they began to figure out this certain chemical called DDT that was being sprayed all over did in fact have something to do with it. Luckily now I see a bald eagle almost every day when I go down to my farm by the river. Imagine that. The history of mankind pretty much is , do what is convenient , and then figure out the consequences later.
When I hear about a case like these birds falling I take interest. I want to know why. I'm pretty sure it doesn't have anything to do with 2012  :D but I don't know , all them birds falling out the sky does seem just a little bit out of the ordinary to me. Really makes me want to know what caused it. I agree with the person who said you can't get any news from any of the major networks. I don't have cable so the internet is my news source. If I turn on the boob tube and the nightly news is on I can watch it for about a few minutes before I once again come to the conclusion that it is simply pathetic. They are so out of touch with mainstream America it is ridiculous. Oh boy, and then entertainment tonight comes on so I can know what all the "stars" are doing.

Jeff

In a note related to your post,  I just watched a new episode of Nova this week on the American Bald Eagle. Pretty good show.  Saw A Mature eagle sitting in a tree just a couple days ago as we drove past Major Mountain just south of town.

miking

Quote from: Jeff on January 05, 2011, 06:31:53 PM
In a note related to your post,  I just watched a new episode of Nova this week on the American Bald Eagle. Pretty good show.  Saw A Mature eagle sitting in a tree just a couple days ago as we drove past Major Mountain just south of town.

They've become quite common along the Illinois river in the last decade. I stopped for lunch along the river at steak n shake yesterday and there were three outside the window about 30 feet up in the trees. It was neat to see all the patrons watching them too.
Echo CS530, 600 and 680 chainsaws, SRM410U brushcutter, PB500 blower and PP265 power pruner. Also a Stihl 192c for the lil' stuff.

ARKANSAWYER

We were tired of hearing about the Obamas on vacation so we started some more news.  The dead birds and fish are alot interesting the the Pres.  We only killed black birds and starlings and drum fish.  No real loss.  May be good for bringing in some GOV folks to spend money.   May have to get out and paint a few more bills of peckers to get the real fevor going again.  They was good for business.
ARKANSAWYER

tyb525

The other day I saw six different bald eagles along the river bordering our river...I'll have to say it was pretty incredible, especially since that is the first time I have ever seen them around here.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

leweee

just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Rocky_Ranger

If anyone watched the Sugar Bowl, my niece summed it up nicely; the birds were dropped by Arkansas receivers..... :D
RETIRED!

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

ARKANSAWYER

Well it seems that 5,000+ black birds that normaly do not fly at night suffered from blunt force tramma in the breast area.  So I guess that they were startled and took off in flight and ran into a UFO that was cloked.  Then I guess the UFO went over and tried to land on the Arkansas River as we now have 83,000+ dead drum fish floating in the river.  The birds fell in a 1 mile area.  The fish were in just a small streach of the river.

???  ???  ???  ???  ???  ??? 
ARKANSAWYER

Patty

Thanks Arky! Finally an explanation that makes perfect sense!  :D
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

pigman

Thanks Arky for a very reasonable explanation. I will sleep better tonight. 8)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

pineywoods

Arky, just be glad you were smart enough to put a metal roof over you sawmill. Otherwise when that ufo flies over, it would probably burn out all the electrics on the mill. ::)

1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

ARKANSAWYER

Yes I was planning ahead.  Since I have seen a UFO and believe that in all the Universe if we are the only life forms it is alot of wasted space.
  Arkansas Game and Fish have posted their findings but given no reason for them.  There are still some fish being tested in a lab.  Yet no reason for the results.
  The UFO story makes the most sense as strange as it seems.  Another thing is around Guy Arkansas has been earth tremors (not far from Beebe where the birds were) just about every week for the last month or so.
  So how long till 2012?
ARKANSAWYER

Jeff

My first thought that that was the same weekend as the tornadoes and why would it not be reasonable that a flock of birds were cause in a tornadic type air current that pretty much beat them all against each other.

Rocky_Ranger

I certainly ain't saying it couldn't happen - 'cause it could; but it didn't happen then and there.  Believe it or not I was almost (or actually was) in the storm in Northwest Arkansas on that faithful Friday morn, just behind the semi that was blown over on I-540.  That was actually the second storm, about 45 minutes behind the one that took out Cincinnati (AR).  But that storm raced into southern Missouri in a southwest to northeast pattern.  Beebe is way south and east of the storm location.  Might have been another storm down that direction, I didn't hear of one. 

The fireworks thing just don't float with me, I don't believe that.  And, AR Game and Fish surely can find the toxicity levels of the drum in The River.  I hope we do find the root causes...... 8)
RETIRED!

GF

Quote from: ARKANSAWYER on January 11, 2011, 10:02:37 AM

Another thing is around Guy Arkansas has been earth tremors (not far from Beebe where the birds were) just about every week for the last month or so.
  So how long till 2012?

We have earthquakes quite often in Central Oklahoma, November 24th we had a 4.2 and about an hour later had a 3.2. We have had numerous ones in the past couple of years, and they have no explanation.  USGS has sensors setup all over the place.   Since January 1st we have had 37 of them ranging from1.1 to 3.0, depths ranging from 3.1KM to 9.5KM in this general area.  I think 2012 may already be here  :).

GF

ARKANSAWYER

See the UFO's are putting in bases in OK as well.
ARKANSAWYER

Larry

And now the guvermint is trying to tell us that thing flying over Tuesday night was just a meteorite.  I have it from an informed source that "thing" landed in southeastern OK. ;D

Rocky_Ranger

RETIRED!

ARKANSAWYER

Meteorite/UFO/blunt force tramma that hit the birds in Beebe and killed the fish in the Arkansas River.  They (Meteorite/UFO/blunt force tramma) are building a base in OK as well as Guy Arkansas.  Remember you heard it here of the FF first.
ARKANSAWYER

Thank You Sponsors!