iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

wanting to move to alaska!

Started by RockyMountainSawyer, January 02, 2011, 09:37:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck White

Quote from: Warbird on January 17, 2011, 10:36:00 AM
Sheesh.  How come I wasn't selected for that show? ???

They probably figured you know too much!   ;D
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

LOGDOG

I've seen that show.  ::) What I want to know is, how do these people find out about these castings?

KellyH

Jim King - I have a friend that is logging in Guyana and loves it.  His only complaint is he needs more equipment and transportation is costly.  He has invited me down several times but work keeps getting in the way ( fear of snakes & spiders too). :o  General vices aside I'm more worried about the creatures of the jungle than the creatures of the nightlife. :D
If you could share anything about the region it would be greatly appreciated.  Maybe this is a great idea to start a different thread altogether? ???

Sorry everyone I kinda wandered off track just a bit. ;)

Thx!
"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is who you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."

Autocar

I finaly had or made time today to read the whole thread. What young man hasn't dreamed about moving to Alaska and run a trapline. When I got discharged from the army in 69 I was ready to set at home for a while but often wonder where we would be today if I would of taken a job on the pipeline. Ive been there twice it is a beautiful state for sure, but to think about the dark days and a cord of wood a week no way anymore  :D Cutting eight cord anymore about kills me it use to be fun but somewhere along the line it has turned into hard work. Even here in Ohio I think about being more independent of the power company I guess that will be my living off the gread.  ;D
Bill

SwampDonkey

A lot of that dream'n is too much Grizzly Adams, Davey Crocket, Roy Rogers, John Wayne, and Daniel Boone, growing up.   Never shows those guys ever working much for their keep. ;D :D :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Autocar

Yep I agree my dream came from a magazine called Fur Fish Game when I was younger I loved to run a trap line and there aways storys about trpping in Alaska and Canada.
Bill

SwampDonkey

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

clww

That PBS documentary Arkansawyer was talking about is titled "Alone In The Wilderness". I did a Goggle search and you can buy a copy from the film producer (cheaper direct than on Amazon, too). Very good and informative film that I have a copy of.
I'll echo the other members-think long and hard. Make several visits before you jump into it.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

oldaxman

I have been to Alaska several times to work, never liked it much, too  much rain, too many bugs, couldn't wait to get home but I'm a grouchy old man so take that into consideration.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: clww on January 20, 2011, 08:34:52 PM
That PBS documentary Arkansawyer was talking about is titled "Alone In The Wilderness". I did a Goggle search and you can buy a copy from the film producer (cheaper direct than on Amazon, too). Very good and informative film that I have a copy of.
I'll echo the other members-think long and hard. Make several visits before you jump into it.

There is also a sequel, where they go back later in his life. These shows get played a lot on PBS during pledge drives. I've probably watch them 5 times. ;D Knowing how harsh it can be in northern BC, gives you a little more sense. ;) Hahahah, I can remember one comment the old timer, in the sequel, said under his breath about being coached what to say on film. That drove it home right quick. :D :D

fuzzybear

after a week and a half  of -40,  I'm starting to get cabin fever.......supposed to warm up to a nice -25 in a day or two.  I just have one thing to say to winter    go_away
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

jim king

Quoteafter a week and a half  of -40,

fuzzybear:
I remember once looking out the window and the thermometer was at -40.  A week and a half ?

You have a great sense of humor to put up with that.

I could not do it.

Warbird

I hear you, fuzzy.  We've been having similar temps.  -40's F at the airport, -30 F at my house this morning.  Supposed to warm up tomorrow or Sunday.  Here's hoping...

fuzzybear

:) :) :o It's warming up  8) smiley_bounce smiley_dizzy  Going logging very soon. hit -35 and is snowing. supposed to warm up to -25.  Just in time to... I think I was starting to loose my mind  whiteflag_smiley
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

LOGDOG

Just watching the show "Flying Wild Alaska" ... they just said the teen suicide rate up there is 9 times the national average. Sad, sad. The notion of living in Alaska seems romantic but I think the reality is a whole different thing.  :-\

Qweaver

Quote from: fuzzybear on January 21, 2011, 03:35:02 PM
   :) :) :o It's warming up  8) smiley_bounce smiley_dizzy  Going logging very soon. hit -35 and is snowing. supposed to warm up to -25.  Just in time to... I think I was starting to loose my mind  whiteflag_smiley
Wow!  It's 9 deg F outside tonight and I can't even think about working in that.  You guys are tough.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

ARKANSAWYER

And silly me has been complaining about 30 degrees and 4 inches of snow.
ARKANSAWYER

LOGDOG

Right Arky. I just got back from a long walk around my property and was sitting here thinking as I read some of these posts about -30 degrees ...how good we have it in the South. Doesn't mean I won't be complaining about the heat come July and August though.

SwampDonkey

It's not all that bad, we don't even need air conditioning here in the summer. Sure some use it, I never did, just a ceiling fan. Sure it can get toasty in a house, but usually it passes in a day or two. Believe it or not I knew quite a few old timers over the years, and as hot as it can get up here, they don't even want a fan on them. :D :D I don't care where you are 90 F with humid air is miserable. :D Even 85-90 F dry heat in the house from the furnace is pretty tough to, I prefer about 70. ;D

jim king

SwampDonkey

Well, guess I need to feed the furnace before crawling under the wool blanket for the night. :D

pineywoods

Quote from: LOGDOG on January 22, 2011, 07:16:06 PM
Right Arky. I just got back from a long walk around my property and was sitting here thinking as I read some of these posts about -30 degrees ...how good we have it in the South. Doesn't mean I won't be complaining about the heat come July and August though.

Complaining about the heat in july and august is a God-given right of all southerners.  ;D
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

red

Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Buck

So hot we cant even catch a breath to complain smiley_eek_dropjaw
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

LOGDOG

Quote from: red on July 17, 2011, 07:20:41 PM
ok  its july

....And man is it hot and humid!!! Dreaming of the North today. Even looked at some Alaskan real estate today just to try to trick my brain.  ;) Didn't work.  ::)

Thank You Sponsors!