iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatsit

Started by Larry, January 02, 2011, 05:41:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

Kathy bought this for me at auction yesterday because (A) it was cheap, and (B) she knew I could use it around the sawmill.

I have no idea, but figured I would get an answer here in maybe 10 minutes? :)

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Autocar

I believe it is a railroad iron carrier one on eather side. Thats my opinion
Bill

northwoods1

I think it was used by the rail road somehow but I believe it is a chain tightner or load binder.

pigman

WE had one that we used to stretch fence. There is a heavy chain that is part of it  that is missing in the photo.One hook is hooked in the chain link and then the devise is moved back so the other chain is hooked in another chain link pulling the chain. This process is repeated to pull or stretch anything hooked to the device. A pole  sticks in the tube for leverage.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Dave Shepard

It is a come along that works on a chain. It'll pull anything you've got a lever long enough to pull. :D I think one of the hooks might be on backwards. Ours is in the shed somewhere buried under a bunch of other whatsits.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

pineywoods

Dave got it right. Stick a 6 ft pole in the socket, and you have yourself a good cheap come-along. I have one somewhere  :)
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Piston

It's a piece of steel with chain on it....Duh...
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Larry

Pigman got it.  When I looked again the end of the hooks were cast into chain clasps for really heavy chain.  There were a couple of stress cracks in the hooks from excess tension I imagine. 

The socket for the pole measures 3" id putting this thing into the big boys toy class.  Think I'll hang it on the wall and tell little ones that great grandpa used this winch to pull his wagon up Pikes Peak on the trail to Arkansas. :D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Magicman

Now, help me with mine in the "Grandpa's Tools" thread, reply #12.   ;D

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,47954.0.html
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SamB

Seems like this tool has appeared on the FF before. I used to possess one and can't remember what became of it. It didn't have a handle, just like yours and no chain just a clevis. It was part of the left behinds on a property I previously owned. The person who left it said it was a tool used in the coal mines for working on the track that the coal cars ran on. I never found a use for it and he didn't have any either, probably ended up in the landfill.

beenthere

SamB
Which tool are you referring to in your post?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SamB

I was referring to Larry's "Whatsit?" tool......

sdunston

Its a come-a-long,also a fence tool and the RR did use them to tie down loads, They were mostly used to pull out stumps when clearing land. I have one and I did the same thing you did ask around and you will find many useful tasks this thing can do. I have used mine many times, I have a 4' handle and an 8' handle. Have fun with it  8)
Sam
WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

WildDog

I have got something similar (the black tool hanging amongst the other junk) about 3 1/2 foot with a permanent iron handle, can't say I have ever used it, no doubt I have needed it a 100 times but forgot I had it.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Dave Shepard

I found our chain come along in the shed. Larry, those are railroad tongs on the left, right? (Relevant to another thread)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

WildDog

Dave you found my old railway tongs, without having to visit down here, :) I new I  hung them somewhere.

Rob
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Thank You Sponsors!