iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

how do you fire you're son???

Started by red oaks lumber, January 02, 2011, 02:18:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Busy Beaver Lumber

I must admit that I am kind of jealous and envious. How come DocHickory got 2 or 3 girlfriends at a time when he was a young lad and I was lucky to have one at a time?
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

doctorb

Not to continue to veer away from this important subject....but his name is Hickory, if you catch my drift. :D
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Doc Hickory

What can I tell you, I'm a blessed man......
Feed a fire, starve a termite...

ellmoe

R.O.,

That's good to hear!

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

red oaks lumber

well heres an update...
so much has changed since i first posted, buisness has slowed to the point it's now just my son and myself.we have both spoken our minds so thats all good.back maybe in april i just came to the thought i'm not letting anything bother me(son related)since iv'e done that my sons additude has done a complete turnaround. now i can go hang out at his house or do whatever with him. hell even last weekend we went fishing )it is so nice just hanging even if we are at work.
i have to say thankyou to everyone that offered input on this subject.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

beenthere

It certainly helps when that time comes that Dad can quit being a father and start being a friend.
Now that said, as a son I had a hard time not trying to tell my father how things really should be done.
Finally came that time that we became just great friends. I'm glad he stuck around long enough for that to happen.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

doctorb

My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Buck

X 2 on the great!     ya'll catch anything?
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

rambo

If your boy has good character he will respect the hard line approach you take. What ever that may be. If he is of poor character, then he always was a tack in the ass and alway will be. You can't change that.

With that said, he deserves a heads up that a storm is coming. That way he can never say you did give a chance to shape up.

Just my two cents.

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Ianab

Sounds like the pressure of work was getting to you both. You needed more work done, he is trying to balance work and family. That leads to friction.

Now things are more relaxed and he can work part time hours without the pressure, things are much smoother.

There is a tendency to chase the big dollars, but sometimes the personal cost is just to much. If you can work less hours, and still be getting ahead at the end of the month, often you are happier.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

ellmoe

Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Norm

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Taylortractornut

Im late in posting this, I was fired recently by my dad.   I was working one saturday and  he  got peed off that I  had to leave and get a test gauge for the scraper I was working on that needed to be going on monday.     I was taking brush from the storm and  working on the scraper.   Dad ad promised his step daughter and  grandaughter to go to the  lake and fish.   sWhile i was gone I locked up the gate so I could get the right gauge for 15 minutes.

Dad called raising all matter of heck with me over it.   I asked him to calm down and listen but he wouldnt. He lost his temper and called me stupid for locking the gate while I was gone and tools were out..   Then I hung up never will I be guilty of taking a chewing on the phone.   I went to work and let the  folks in and   left.   I wasnt going to babysit plainly I was upset over being  called stupid.     I left got home and dad rolled up mad about me hanging up on him and told me he was thinking about replacing me.     I said suits the  snot out of me I have a standing  job at a friends quarry.   

I told him I d drop my service truck off tuesday after I got my welder and fuel tank off it.    I went back to work and  loaded up my Craftsman tools,  I mean every socke wrench and screw driver.  My drills and grinders and  miller mig welder and torch set.   I pulled off the  keys and tank off my personal 5000 pound forklift to.     I even lined up  my few implements i loaned work.   I even got all my service manuals notebooks I keep with notes on repairs to certain things.     I cooled off and gathered my thoughts.

Monday dad called at 8 wanting to know where i was at  and if I could tell them how to fix one of the trucks.  I told him since he fired me  over family problems i was going to go to work elsewhere  and I for darned sure wasnt going to train my replacement..  It took 2 hours to get all the trucks out and  the compactor going.    We had a big talk about like the  one mentioned earlier about the father and the freind when I did show up.    I just told him I was tired of hime listening to everyone else  about everything instead of me.       I told him I was burning out over this Im the assistant manager and didnt have a say in anything.      We really  came a bit closer after this and got alot of things  through.   
My overload permit starts after sunset

Thank You Sponsors!