iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Strawberries

Started by Norm, January 02, 2011, 09:28:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

I'm going to start new beds this year, any recommendations on a variety to use?

caveman

A lot of farmers in Florida use Sweet Charlies or Festivals.  I'm sure that there are other varieties being used but these two seem to be popular.
Caveman

Don_Papenburg

For people north of route 80
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

northwoods1

Year before last I planted a small 4'x4' bed outside my door in the flower bed where I noticed the wild ones were growing like crazy. So I thought well that is the spot to put some. I made a nice raised bed and bought half  dozen plants, and as they were coming up I trained them so that the bed filled up. They grew like crazy, but never got berries. They flowered out but fruit would never form. I don't know where I went wrong. I did fertilize the bed and thought that possibly I put to much ???
Maybe next year I will get some berries out of it I hope.

Don_Papenburg

I think that some berries are sensetive to sunlight, need full sun
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Dave Shepard

I believe strawberries take two years to produce.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

trapper

I have had good luck with jewel from jung seed.  I put in a bed again last year.  This year I want to put in another bed of an earlier varity.  June bearing you plant this year, pick off all the flowers this year to get the plants established and pick fruit for several years.  Everbearers pick the runners and harvest this year. One year we had over 100 quarts from a planting of 25 plants of jewel.  Check to see if you need any special disease resistance in your area.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

bugdust

Northwoods, my dad always said to pinch off all blooms the first year. It didn't seemed like the real thing to do , but it sure worked. The next year the plants were covered with berries.
Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

Norm

Sorry guys I lost track of this thread. Thank you for the advice, much appreciated!

Thank You Sponsors!