iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husky 359 build

Started by Sawz all, January 01, 2011, 11:40:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sawz all

I know I'm new to the forum but I think we can have fun with a build. I see several of my R/S friends here and I thought it would be nice to share a build for those who would like to see it.

The saw I am doing is a Husqvarna 359. I took a video of it in the stock form cutting three cuts in 10x10 pine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dN5-chKpR3Q

Next I had Scott wojo make me a muffler to my specks and ran the same test:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbvImWEBmtg
I like the work Scott does for me, he works with you, not at you..... Some reciepients like a polished/durable finished product...
- The gains from the muffler alone might be small but you can hear that the saw is much more happy/healthy sounding. The saw is saying "I can breath"...lol...

I have the cylinder off now and was on the phone yesterday talking to Eric Copsey. Originally I was going to do a flat top piston with a good woods port job but after our conversation I decided to do a pop-up piston and machine the cylinder. I don't have access to machines and Eric took that concern off my hands. Eric has always reached out to help me and others. The cyl is on it's way to Eric's.

My stock timing nbrs are:
EX - 104*
X-Fer - 123*
IN - 76*

I'll keep all posted as I progress.

Kevin

Some come to laugh the past away, some come to make it just one more day.."J.G"

weimedog

Sounds nice..I noticed the video timer was around 14 seconds for both..plus or minus a bit. You make that cant? Also notices some rather smooth technic in transitioning from cut to cut! :)
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Sawz all

Quote from: weimedog on January 01, 2011, 11:55:50 AM
Sounds nice..I noticed the video timer was around 14 seconds for both..plus or minus a bit. You make that cant? Also notices some rather smooth technic in transitioning from cut to cut! :)

The modded is slightly faster. The timed cutts were a couple of weeks apart while I sent out the muffler. So they were different pieces of wood. Both 10x10 pine and run with the same round ground chain.

My friend Herb made the cant and is the one running the saw. I suck as a comp opperator but he is one of the best!

Kevin

weimedog

:D ;D :) Ok..."sucks" is a relative thing....OLD fart here!
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Sawz all

FYI....
That is not me running the saw above. That is a friend of mine who has run in timber sports for 20+ years.

This is me running a saw, I'm a little rough and did not do the saw much justice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOT-M-FBXTA

Kevin

SeanC

I'll be watching this thread. I'll soon be on the lookout for something in the 60-70cc range to complement my modded 55R, and these 359s seem to pop up every so often for not much money.

Looks good so far!

-Sean

Sawz all

Got my piston and cylinder today in the mail, Eric did a real nige job cutting the base and pop-up. Thank you Eric Copsey!!!
I'll take some pictures when I get a chance. I am hoping to be able to work on this over the next couple of weeks or ASAP.

Kevin

weimedog

Would be cool if you could shoot some pics..good enough to see the neat stuff..not so good to see detail so we don't aggrevate eric!

Sawz all

I'll shoot some pictures when I get a chance. You don't have to worie about aggrevateing Eric, He's good people.

Kevin

CX3

Wow that 260 can really cut.  Impressive. 

What type of stuff was done to it? (260)
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

Sawz all

Quote from: CX3 on January 08, 2011, 11:13:40 PM
Wow that 260 can really cut.  Impressive. 

What type of stuff was done to it? (260)

The ms260 was a saw I built on racesaws, me and a friend each built one in our own ways/different and posted all details. At the end we raced the two....
That saw has a two piece head, 044 zamma carb, a lot of port work (piston, cylinder, and case), compression is way up around 250 if I remember correctly. It goes nice.

Kevin

Al_Smith

You can stuff more static compression in them than one would think .Then with the pipe back stuffing it the dynamic comp would be right up there .

weimedog

Some Pics from sawz all

Piston:

Cylinder:

Cases:

weimedog

I see the decked cylinder & pop up along with the transfers modded at the cylinder base...what strikes me is those transfer port" caps"..that's got to make working the tops of those transfers a whole lot easier! VERY cool. thanks for those pics....

Sawz all

Quote from: weimedog on January 09, 2011, 01:00:18 PM
Some Pics from sawz all

Piston: Eric cut me the pop-up and installed windows XP...

Cylinder: Eric cut the base for me. There is no lower transfer work yet, just the base cut.

Cases: The case is just that sitting on my embarrassingly dirty work table. I have a few saws pulled down at the moment so the table plays round robin with different saws. Usually things are much cleaner  ;)

Thank you weimedog for the help posting pictures.

Kevin

Al_Smith

Quote from: Sawz all on January 09, 2011, 01:18:25 PM
   The case is just that sitting on my embarrassingly dirty work table. I have a few saws pulled down at the moment so the table plays round robin with different saws. Usually things are much cleaner  ;)

Kevin
You know in my own little life ,in spite of what my California "debate " opponents might say those who are extremely  tidy usually don't do an excessive amount of work .They do talk a good story though . ;)

Sawz all

Made a little headway with the portwork today on this saw. I still don't know how to post pictures but can post videos. I am able to post pictures on Racesaws and have this build going over there("Husky 359 build Let's see what we can do" thread); anybody here is welcome to follow along over there if they are interested. I will post a video when this build is done for people to see before and after and also keep people abreast of the progression of this build. Sorry I suck at computers and can't figure out how to post pictures.

Kevin

Sawz all

Here is the finnished product in frozen 10x10 pine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0zt7UgBzig

Kevin

John Mc

Quote from: Al_Smith on January 09, 2011, 03:50:12 PMYou know in my own little life ,in spite of what my California "debate " opponents might say those who are extremely  tidy usually don't do an excessive amount of work .They do talk a good story though . ;)

I once got a lecture from my boss about my desk being such a mess (and I have to admit, it was quite bad... even for me). His closing line was "A cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind."  The next day I hung a sign over my desk: "If a cluttered desk is the sign of a cluttered mind, then what is an empty desk a sign of?"  (Fortunately, the boss had a sense of humor, and I had at least partially cleaned my area up before he saw it.)

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Sawz all

I ran this saw again today except this time I put an eight rim on it. The previous video was with a seven rim.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWZDRP8xNuM

Me running the same saw:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7cw3kwTCZY

Kevin

Sawz all

What do you guys think?

Kevin

Don K

Very nice. I have a 359 and it could use a lung and heart transplant.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Thank You Sponsors!