iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

DT 3-53 engine condition in timberjack 230D

Started by TravisMVL, December 31, 2010, 11:16:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TravisMVL

I've been reading a lot of old posts regarding the 3-53 engine and how it's notorious for going through oil. Mine is no different!
The engine oil pressure is just about 0 at idle, but goes up to 40-60 when i'm on the throttle. How normal is this? I had a mechanic looking at it about two weeks ago helping me put a new transmission in and he said the engine has some life left but is near it's death. What do you guys think? Seems to me that it runs strong, it does have a leaking oil pan drain plug that is JB welded from the previous owner (this seems to be the main reason it needs a quart every 2 days of operation). This engine's exhaust exits very clean, but the oil breather on the top of the engine (which runs down a tube on the driver side) blows out a lot of smoke. I have to blow the snot out of my nose during the day from running this thing, and I dont want to die from this crap!
I bought this machine for the logging site I'm currently on and would like to have it complete the job and earn it's keep before sinking money into fixing all the bugs out of it. A leaking oil pan seems to be a serious issue, but I keep a very close eye on all fluid levels. Is this why the pressure could be low at idle?

tyb525

It sounds like your rings may have a lot of blow-by.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

John Woodworth

I have found that the condition of Detroits usually is due to the way it has been run and maintained and in your case the previous ouner. I have two 353's one runs consistant 40 pounds oil pressure, I've had this skidder 20 years now, the other I bought5 years ago and it is a good clean leak free engine and idles at 7 to 10 when warm.

There are multiple oil pressure regulators on a detroit internaly that run 80+ but you don't get your oil pressure from them, I don't remember the specs offhand but can look them up but it's considered normal as low as I believe 6 pounds on the guage at idle.

Check the air box drain to be sure it's not plugged and run 40 wt. oil is about allyou can do as chances are it's been a eithered motor with a lot of hours on it but as long as you keep oil in it it should get you by.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

Ed_K

I got 11yrs out of my 4-53,but i never tried to run it wide open,just enough to get me over a hill.Mostly i'd run a lower gear and 1/2-3/4 throttle.Mine had blowby so bad it would smoke the woods up at idle.It ran 5-10#pressure at idle.
Ed K

TravisMVL

Hopefully the engine pressure will go up once the oil pan is fixed. Thank you for all the responces

lumberjack48

That 353 has seen better days, its had to much exuberance, in other words its just flat wore out. But that don't mean it won't run, there tough, it might give up tomorrow or run 5 more years. Get a hose a little bigger then the breather tube and run it down under the belly pan to the middle of the skidder , get that blow buy out of your face, breathing that is 7 times worse that gas, very hard on your lungs.
Fixing the drain plug will not fix the oil pressure, i would watch the oil level and run it like i stolid it until break up or until i had down time to fix it.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

madmari

My 3-53 runs 50 psi at startup, 25 psi when just warmed up and about 6-10 psi after the first good hitch. She holds the 6-10 the rest of the day. No smoke, uses about a quart every 10 days.
  My last 3-53 smoked like a death row convict, but used NO oil. Believe it was a bad nozzle- made me puke by noon. I inhaled enough exhaust to ring  a full gallon of diesel out of my carcass by lunch. Not a good habit.
  I use SAE 30 and change it every 100 hrs, with a filter. Check your air filter- it is really important to have clean air that can satisfy the cumbustion, or it will smoke bad and you'll lose alot of power. The Detroits like work- I was hesitant to open up the throttle, but honestly it runs better with your foot in it when she needs it.
  The things are simple and tough- keep oil in it, feed it air, clean fuel and work it.
I know why dogs stick thier head out the car window.

logging22

Quote from: madmari on January 01, 2011, 07:32:52 PM
My 3-53 runs 50 psi at startup, 25 psi when just warmed up and about 6-10 psi after the first good hitch. She holds the 6-10 the rest of the day. No smoke, uses about a quart every 10 days.
  My last 3-53 smoked like a death row convict, but used NO oil. Believe it was a bad nozzle- made me puke by noon. I inhaled enough exhaust to ring  a full gallon of diesel out of my carcass by lunch. Not a good habit.
  I use SAE 30 and change it every 100 hrs, with a filter. Check your air filter- it is really important to have clean air that can satisfy the cumbustion, or it will smoke bad and you'll lose alot of power. The Detroits like work- I was hesitant to open up the throttle, but honestly it runs better with your foot in it when she needs it.
  The things are simple and tough- keep oil in it, feed it air, clean fuel and work it.

I agree. Mine is the same.

John Woodworth

One thine about a Detroit it is not supposed to have extended idle times or they will carbon up, what I do is use ATF in my fuel, in my case 1 quart to 20 gallons of fuel, doesent matter Dextron or type F it's a poor mans Marvel Mystry Oil and unless your injectors are worn out will generaly clean the carbon out of the upper end injectors included. Ratio isn't that important as far as being too heavy as it's oil burning in a oil based fuel. Frequency of use is up to you and all deisel owners try it, if your mtr. is in reasonably good shape, filters clean and your blowing black smoke with a drop in power I'll bet it will supprise you. The big thing for the cost of a quart of ATF once in a while what do you have to loose.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

Thank You Sponsors!