iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Horses anyone?

Started by weimedog, December 31, 2010, 10:52:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weimedog

Had more when the girls were still home. A passion for the wife. (Cows now occupy where the horses were in most places on the farm...got to pay the bills!)

Top of the hay pasture...winter time.

Horse & Farm cat..girls gone so they keep company.

One of the kids off doing this on horses now:

During the winter...her home is:
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

fishpharmer

Must be smart horses to get to go play polo at Cornell.  Nice they took the girl too. 
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

DanG

I guess we're back to five nags now, if you count the shetland pony stud Linda adopted this morning.  We have a couple of aged geldings on our pasture, and Linda's mare and a promising filly at a friends barn down the road.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Banjo picker

We have 6 horses and one half/ass...

The paint mare in pic ..was born here Qton eagle line

You can see the tape fence in the pic...Wife will allow no barb wire on the place..Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Kcwoodbutcher

Have thirtysomething now, down from over sixty a few years ago. Fortunately people actually pay me to take care of them.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

WildDog

I had got down to one mare 12 months ago then realised I hadn't mustered with her for 10 months as the Quad bike and dogs seem to be the 1st preference. I gave her to a workmate that has been chasing her blloodlines and will ensure she is well looked after.

I keep getting the urge to go for a ride, I don't think it will be long before there is a horse or two back on the farm. ;)
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Norm

Well kind of if you count a 2000# spoiled belgian and her trusty sidekick jenny. I dare anyone to find a better pair of hay burners! :D

timberfaller390

my mule is the only one I have pictures of. besides her there is one percheron, four quarter horses, one pony and one jenny.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

pigman

weimedog, is your daughter the girl in the red shirt in the group picture?
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: pigman on January 01, 2011, 09:46:36 AM
weimedog, is your daughter the girl in the red shirt in the group picture?

Pigman,

I think she's the pretty girl in the red shirt in the group picture...

Herb

weimedog

I don't feel so bad now! We are down to 8 from 20 when the girls were still home and could work them! My bride has her quarter horse "Flash" and an ex race horse "Annie" (Once "Who's That Girl"); she's been in trainng for polo for the last year. I have my ex track horse "Afleet Command", and the others sort of just stayed from prior kids and activities, Gracie (Half Perceron/ Half Thoroughbred), Pete (2000plus # Belgium Draft), Diesel (Polo girls first high performance eventing horse...just hangs as she's off doing polo 24/7 for the last 5 years now), Allie (Ex Track TB, now Polo horse in training...2 seasons on her now).....that's it.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Raider Bill

My Mom and Sister both graduated from Cornell. Beautiful area!
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

weimedog

Cornell, good school. She is working her way through the hard way..playing a sport, a couple of jobs (all related to large animal work, cows & horses; hoping to be a Vet some day..the animal kind), keeping the grades up etc...hard working young lady.

Indoor polo is the craziest sport I have ever watched..at their level of play everything is done at a full gallop..just sprinting end to end at times..I have had to walk out because its hard to watch thinking of the possibilities if something goes wrong...and I raced motocross& Harescrambles for almost 30years!

Her sister is at University of Buffalo on the rowing team..same way. Farm life and values have their benefits!

Diesel..

northwoods1

Have to get a pic or two of mine in here :)

Does you daughter know where she wants to practice and specifically what she might want to do? Looks like probably doing equine work ??? :) I friend of mine was a professor there at the college for many years. Very difficult to get in that school!

weimedog

Quote from: northwoods1 on January 01, 2011, 10:39:16 AM
Have to get a pic or two of mine in here :)

Does you daughter know where she wants to practice and specifically what she might want to do? Looks like probably doing equine work ??? :) I friend of mine was a professor there at the college for many years. Very difficult to get in that school!

Very pretty! Nice looking barn growing in the back ground! I don't know where she will land..she's pretty independent and has the ability to make things work anywhere. She has a world she has built here and around polo so maybe she stays here...has family in Colorado....likes Virginia..nice to be young and hae choices!

Stan snider

weimedog, do you folks up in yankeeland have to resort to chasing things on horses with sticks , that cant even run on their own?   I have never seen such a sight around here. Things we chase with a horse have a mind of their own and are self propelled! :D  Stan

paul case

weimedog,
those hosses look ok but i was admiring your roofless barn. wind more of a problem than rain in your area?  ;D  pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

weimedog

? roof less barn?
Actually when I first moved into this place our 270ft long barn was missing about 1/3 of its roof! One of my early projects. Demolishing the sections beyond repair and rebuilding the rest..still in process..!

AND matter of fact I live on a hill top some 800ft above town..around 1900ft above sea level and we have a breeze or two!..:) The rain usually come in horizontally here! Walls way more important than roofs!

weimedog

Quote from: Stan snider on January 01, 2011, 11:50:31 AM
weimedog, do you folks up in yankeeland have to resort to chasing things on horses with sticks , that cant even run on their own?   I have never seen such a sight around here. Things we chase with a horse have a mind of their own and are self propelled! :D  Stan

That's actually pretty funny..fox hunters? Chasing with sticks? Oh no no..you don't understand polo then! At least you all go in the same general direction! The horse is as much into the game as the rider to be a good polo horse! AND the game is pretty complex. They have to know how to get to the ball and a sense of things to prevent collisions...takes a long time to build a polo pony! Especially indoor.

Funny thing is when we moved east from Colorado, we were total Quarter Horse bigots...if it didn't have color and the right Q-horse blood lines...it was close to a soup can! U can see where that was going when we discovered most were either Argentine TB imports or TB's from other sources...very few Quarter Horses...bet you will never guess why. I wouldn't have picked up on it with out being this involved either.

weimedog

a little bit of the barn..and what things look like on a typical winter day!

jim king

I wish I would have had the experience your daughter has when I was young.  I grew up with a short pony and graduated to taking care of fox farm horses for the up keep.  Each one was  always a new experience.

Then I got away from horses for years and later met a fellow from Bixbi , OK who was a polo fanatic and got me interested but I didnĀ“t have much time.  Then in Kano, Nigeria I was friends with more fanatic polo types but then to old to get into it. 

A wonderful mix of man and beast.  The other sport of Kings.

SwampDonkey

Horses are wonderful animals, and I have been around them most my life at grandfather's place and dad had one back in the 70's when we had cows. But, I can't imagine owning a horse for someone else to look after. That's what you see around here. We have no racing, I've never seen polo played around here, I think their are riding courses to learn to ride horses but I don't see the reasoning to let someone look after it. Here on the farms the horses were used to make a living. Just like you raised cows for milk and beef, you used a horse to yard logs and pull sleds of firewood and pulp. Nope, I guess I never had the bug to keep feeding out of pocket and never using one to gain something back into my bank account. ;D ;)

Never bought a 4 wheeler neither.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

DanG

Weimedog, I have great admiration for your Daughter's horsemanship.  Polo is extremely demanding, and the training is intensive year-round.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

northwoods1

Quote from: DanG on January 01, 2011, 05:59:48 PM
Weimedog, I have great admiration for your Daughter's horsemanship.  Polo is extremely demanding, and the training is intensive year-round.

So do I... it is quite remarkable. Working with and owning horse is good for the soul. By training them and working with them a person can learn a lot, both about horses and people :D

weimedog I think Paul was talking about my roofless barn, which does have a roof now :D was just kind of in the process of getting one at the time.
Man you have a lot of snow :)

ErikC

I have 3 horses, and 3 mules. They are a pretty good crew. I can ride or pack them, and get a lot of work in summer and fall doing that in our wilderness areas. This year I put 200 miles on in 10 days several times. We were all in shape :)
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Thank You Sponsors!