iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Donk finds a tree what is it?

Started by Jeff, August 10, 2010, 09:01:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Swamp Donkey pointed out a tree on my property I didn't know I had. I had no Idea.  Do you know what it is?

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Dan_Shade

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Jeff

That's just a bit more specific than "  I'll call that a tree"  ;)

RynSmith

easymoney

i started with one a few years ago. now i have them all over the place. they grow really fast. one behind my house is about one foot across in just a few years. they make good shade in a hurry but the leaves make a mess to clean up in the fall. i think they have been discussed on here just a few weeks ago. i cant pronounce what they are called.

Jeff

pep

Lucas 827 w/slabbing bar
JD 410B
Wood Wiz Surfacing Attachment

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Clark

Quote from: pep on August 10, 2010, 10:42:09 PM
Manitoba Maple

I thought that and North Dakota walnut were exotic substitutions for box elder.

I used to have this one straight but time is outdoing my mind, I'll go with Acer spicatum.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

tyb525

I dunno, I have them here though! ???
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

VT_Forestry

I too will say Acer spicatum   :)
Forester - Newport News Waterworks

Jeff

Quote from: WDH on August 10, 2010, 11:12:35 PM
Mountain maple.  Acer spicatum.

Thats the one!  Donk will have to comment when he gets back home. He's still on the road until probably Friday. When I get home, or maybe I can try to night, I have a short video of Donk examining the seed to see if they looked viable.

Jeff

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Jeff

This little guy appears to have been living in the understory for quite some time.

SwampDonkey

I did make an error in judging the seed viability. I don't know if that was on video or not. But, the dimpling of the seed is a characteristic of both mountain and striped maple and not an indicator of viability as it would be in the tree forms like sugar maple. So, I believe there is lots of good seed on that one tree.  ;D

Mountain maple is ever present in northern white cedar stands around here and also sometimes hardwood stands where it generally follows seeps and water near the surface. I've seen them as big as 8" in diameter, but mostly not much bigger than your thumb.

I can remember when they were cutting on my land, and there was an understory of mountain maples, the moose were in there like cattle feeding on those maples. I remember there was 3 or 4 in one group when dad and I came upon them. Dad had a winter road he put in in the 70's cutting cedar rails and the moose kept that open with a beat down path way.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

That Jeff is mighty sneaky with that camera. I never knew I was being filmed or I would of combed my hair. :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

I've been told that before.  I think its because I always have it when I'm out and about, that people just take it for granted and pay no attention to it. :D 

THELOGGER460

Jeff

Quote from: THELOGGER460 on January 31, 2011, 03:57:11 PM
I think its a young box elder.

Welcome to the forum :)

No, its a Mountain maple.  Acer spicatum.

clww

We have loads of them around here.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Thank You Sponsors!