iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Extreme Weather in 2010

Started by Gary_C, December 31, 2010, 03:24:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary_C

A lot of weather records have been broken this year in this area and the last two days of the year are sure to be a wild ride also.

We had a record number of tornadoes in one day back in the early summer, set all time records for most snowfall in December, and now as I sit here in northern MN much of the snow is melting while it's raining and 41 degrees F with fog.

Last night there was a light glaze of ice on the roads but it then started to rain and now there water standing everywhere. And in the southern part of the state it's only 18 degrees with blizzard warnings. Actually there are two storms with one part in the north also with blizzard warnings but the north central is supposed to miss the brunt of these two storms.

Really strange weather and nothing seems normal this year. Any one else seeing this kind of record setting weather?
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

SwampDonkey

Mild here in the 30's and suppose to break 40. The next storm is going too far south to get more than a flurry by Monday. We're 30 degrees above normal. It's never been below zero yet, very rare in fact happened in 2006 until the 29th, never in  records before that, but the records only go back to 1939. Pretty small window of time. Only began recording weather since the beginning of WWII in these parts. I remember watching a video clip from a war documentary where they had a weatherman talking about the challenge of predicting weather in preparations for the the Normandy Invasion. The weather balloon is still one of the most relied on sources of prediction.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Bibbyman

Looks like we'll be "raining in the New Year".

At 5:30 am, it's 54° and raining here. Yesterday was above 60°.  This is the warmest days of this December when most of the days didn't break above freezing.  Another dry month with about 1/3 the normal precipitation. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Larry

65 degrees, heavy wind, lightening in the distance, and a tornado watch from 6am to 8am.  Whatever happened to a bit of snow?
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Larry

Radar shows a twister on the ground headed our direction.  An exciting morning.  Could be worse...one of those snow storms.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

scgargoyle

The winter of 09-10 was the coldest on record for the Tampa Bay area, and the summer of '10 was the hottest on record. In the last couple weeks, record lows have been recorded around the area, and December will be in the top 5 coldest on record. It's funny, because the weather guy started out this fall saying it would be a warm, dry winter. Well, it has been dry..... ::)

It seems like in recent years, there have been a lot of all-time record droughts, floods, snow, rain, cold, heat, and whining all around the world. As was pointed out, though, reliable records are only available for a very short time span. You can't really say it was the hottest or coldest 'ever' unless you were around for the Ice Age, or when dinosaurs roamed Minnesota. :D
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

Larry

Three confirmed dead, more than 18,000 without power, largest airport closed, and it's not over yet.  Twisters still firing up in Oklahoma.

jim king

All is calm here.  About 80 and full sun.  The only problem is that the river is low as El Niño didn´t bring adequate moisture to the Andes last winter to make enough snow to melt to make the river rise.  The ocean currents are the only problem in S.A..  Must be a green house gas problem under the ocean  ;D ::).

As still confined to the house with my wife I am finishing my raised bed gardens and ready to plant tomatoes and cucumbers next week.  The chance of frost is now gone   :).

beenthere

Regards to records...they've only existed for say the past 100 years or so.

I guess I don't put much stock in weather records other than they are points of interest.
Seems that 100 years is a pretty small window to view what is 'normal' or changing over time.

30 - 40 years ago, we heard we were entering another ice age and the glaciers were going to return. Then we entered into the global warming hype based on some brief couple years of warmer temps (if even that!).

But I'm not sure what is "extreme" in weather. Going to get to 50 today, so they say. Snow is melting fast.  :) :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

DanG

Quote from: Larry on December 31, 2010, 09:15:11 AM
Three confirmed dead, more than 18,000 without power, largest airport closed, and it's not over yet.  Twisters still firing up in Oklahoma.

Holy Cow Larry!  Keep your head down and update us when possible.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Larry

By 9:30 the front had passed over and it feels like a balmy spring day right now.  I think the same front is now causing problems to the east.

SwampDonkey

No problems, but the snow is melting ..... again. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

DanG

Glad it missed you, Larry. 8) 8)  I just saw some pics on tv from Cincinnati Ar, where the folks were killed.  It clobbered the fire station and took out all of their emergency equipment. :o
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Samuel

-26 C here this morning.  A far cry from +22 in Cancun when I left on Tuesday evening.
Web: HugeDomains.com - StrategicHseSystems.com is for sale (Strategic Hse Systems)
LinkedIn http://ca.linkedin.com/in/samuelelkins
Software Solutions-
DATS | Digital Action Tracking System by ASM

Raider Bill

77 and sunny. Will be heading out on the bike wearing a t-shirt 8) 8) Light jacket for later.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

ARKANSAWYER

Just got home from helping my son, dil and grandson dig out from a tornado last night in Sparta MO.  Jessica woke up hearing a loud noise and just happen to get grandson and get in the bathtub.  The moble home was ripped off if it's pad and landed laying across the county road.  She has bruises and a cut and grandson is unhurt. Grandson said "His house is broken."  Her parents home 1/4 mile away was hit pretty hard and part of the mobile home is over there.  Son was at work and it took 1 1/2 hours for them to cut a path toget to where the mobile home was sitting across the road.  We spent most of the day trying to save what little was left and dragging the house out of the road.  They are all fine and the LORD had his hand over them.  The hardest thing for them was to let people help them.  Heck of a way for them to end the year but when you are at rock bottom there is no better place to lay a foundation and start back up.
 There is to be link on KY3 for the tornado at Johns Ford.  I will go see if they have the news link up yet.

http://www.ky3.com/news/ky3-ef1-tornado-rolls-through-chri-1231101,0,4712958.story
ARKANSAWYER

Jeff

Hey Arky! I just saw your daughter-in-law on the national news!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Mooseherder

Yeah, me too!
When I heard Barnes I thought of Arky  but then thought naw can't be.
Then he posted about it. Wow, glad they are okay.

northwoods1

Quote from: Jeff on December 31, 2010, 07:02:44 PM
Hey Arky! I just saw your daughter-in-law on the national news!

Hey I just saw that also... I hope everything is alright with them, I sincerely wish I could be near them to be helping out , hearing about all those NYC folks whining about the snow makes me laugh, but when the wind comes up at 200mph+ unexpectedly and travels through your neighborhood now that is a life changing event, it can really humble a person to know that mother nature can come at any time and take away everything and anything you might treasure , it is unreal that we have to be worrying about tornadoes on new year eve!

beenthere

Arky
Glad to hear no one was hurt there. Not everyone can say that in the path of that storm.

Is there a place/address where we can send something to help out just a little?

Hoping that Bro Noble is ok, and also his stoopid cows.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Glad everyone was able to stand after that wind.  :o

A few years ago a store was for sale, it was for sale for quite a long time. Well it sold 6 years ago and a couple from the deep south, like Texas or neighboring state, had bought it. They said they moved up here to get away from all the bad storms that kept ripping up their property. I was thinking there are lots of vacancies if you folks ever decide to do the same. Funny how cold isn't really all that bad. ;D

ARKANSAWYER

I guess you would have to send it to me as we never did find the mail box.  It could have been under the trailer or in the next county.  They are going to have to find someplace else to live.  Some folks up the road offed them a place and Rickys mom lives about 5 miles from there.  They got power over at her folks house and I helped a guy get the well replumbed and working.  The in-laws house is still standing even if it does leak a bit and have a limb sticking through the wall of the bedroom.
  Bro Noble should be fine as the storms went a bit west and north of him.  There was a farmer killed in Arkansas who was to be milking his cows when the storm hit.
  The power company was there by day light and right though the rain they worked till they had the power pole replaced and the power hooked up.     Shame there was nothing to hook it to.  The guy working for the county running the back hoe was very good and helped pull the power trucks back up on the road as well as pull the frame of the trailer out of the road.
  One of the power guys came over where I was cutting trees and asked if I had a job.  I told him sort of I ran a small sawmill.  He said any one who could cut down trees like I was and not hanging their saw up all the time could get a job with them.  I had two pop back into their root ball holes and you never really know when or how they will do it.  Many a man has been hurt or killed when it happens.
  It was amazing when you look at where the tub was that Jessica was not killed or badly hurt.  That end of the trailer traveled over 60 ft and the roof and walls were gone except for the one leaning over her.  She just woke up and grabed her son and put him in the tub when it all came unglued.  The kids are holding up well and she did well during the TV interview.  I was standing just off camera working on the pump for the well at her folks place.  After the camera went off  son and I walked over and held her up as she was about done in.  She had only about two hours sleep and my son who works nights for a trucking company had none.  The strange thing about it is it was my son's last night shift as Sunday he starts working days. 
ARKANSAWYER

Bro. Noble

Well, after that storm upset the Barnes' trailer, it tore up stuff at a little community near Ava, MO where my daughter lives.  We had a big black cloud come over about 10:00 while I was feeding hay.  It thundered and hailed and poured rain,  but I was snug and dry in the old Cat loader.  The storm then went north of us where it hurt some folks at Ft. Leonard Wood and killed at least one in nearby Dent Co.

Best wishes for Arky's family.  I'll watch for them in the news tonight.  His lovely wife, was on the front page of the Ozark Co. Times a while back.  She was spinning wool at 'Hootin and Hollerin'.  I hope any more attention they get in the media is more like hers :)
milking and logging and sawing and milking

thecfarm

AKANSAWYER,probably not the same National News channel,but do remember a Mother taking her child into the tub and laying on him and than when all over the child was on top of her. Jeff mentioned the news and than you mentioned the tub.Looks like quite a mess whatever I was watching.Don't usually watch the National news.

Edit,must be the one.I just saw it again,Jessica Barnes.Glad they are OK.Seems like Cincinnati,AR. May not be the correct spelling,but that's what it sounded like to me.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!