iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Weed Control in LL Pine

Started by ncsuclell, December 29, 2010, 10:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ncsuclell

Hey guys.  I haven't posted anything in a while.  I have a few questions for you Herbicide experts.  I planted an area this year (~Dec 14) with longleaf pine and I know I will have a super weed problem in the spring.  I was told once that Oustar (Hexazinone + Sulfometuron methyl) could be applied over pine seedlings to contol broadleaf weeds and grasses.  I am doing my planning for the spring and read over the label to be sure I wanted to use Oustar.  In the label it reads: "OUSTARĀ® may be used to control or suppress many broadleaf weeds and grasses in forestry sites where shortleaf pine, loblolly pine, longleaf pine or slash pine are to be established." 

Does this mean that it will kill my seedlings if I spray over the top?  It sounds like I should have used this to site prep.

I've done some more research and I might change my prescription to Oust XP (Sulfometuron methyl only) or Sulformex (generic brand) becasue that label seems to indicate that it is ok to spray over seedlings.

What do y'all think is the better herbicide (keep in mind that I have 5- 20lbs bags of Oustar on hand)?  I'll also take any other suggestions of other herbicides as well.

Thank you and have a Happy New Year.
"More Prescibed fire means Less Wildfire"
"Good Fires prevent Bad Ones"

customsawyer

Oustar is the same as velpar and oust mixed together. Working off of memory here as I am not looking at a lable but I think 13 oz. of Oustar was the same as 32 oz. of velpar and 2 oz. of oust. I applied lots of velpar and oust that I mixed together and then applied lots of the Oustar and in my experience the Oustar is hotter the the equal amount of velpar and oust mixed separate. You can apply Oustar over the seedlings but as to the rate it will depend on your soil type and weeds, grasses you are trying to control as to how much you apply. I do remember that if the label called for 13 oz you could lower the rate a bit and still get by. The other option is to put like 9 oz of Oustar and to lower the amount of velpar and add a 1/2 oz of Oust to your mix. Your best case scenario is to hire a professional to lower your chance of damage to your seedlings.   
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Thank You Sponsors!