iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

TJ 230D brakes- grease leak

Started by madmari, December 28, 2010, 07:41:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madmari

My '73 TJ has a leak from the transfer case to the brake drum. Needless to say, it's a pain to hold while winching.
Question is, which seal replacement will stop the leak? I had it apart, but it was sub-zero temps- I think I can see the seal, but it looks good. Also, it appears that grease is leaking through the splined shaft. Any ideas?
I know why dogs stick thier head out the car window.

donny hochstetler

some years back I had an old 230 d t.j. , same problem,  I changed that seal like three times, in short order.  around here you gotta have brakes , I liked running it ,but sold it because of that problem, now thinking back I" m not sure if it could of been the bearing on the inside being worn, that was taking out the seals?  {hindsight}  some of these older skidders are great machines, but have braking  problems,  compared to the newer ones .

240b

take the drum off put new seal in apply rtv sealant on splined shaft too. probably theres a groove worn in the flange were the seal rides, clean that up w/ emery cloth or get a speedy sleeve for it. the castle nut which holds the drum on also adj the pre load on that shaft. (too  loose and it will pop out of gear) degrease drum well and scuff with emery cloth too. cook the oil out of the shoes by heating w/ torch and pack in speedy- dri.  make sure the transfer case breather is clear also.  also a piece of rubber over the top to keep out the weather helps alot. 

madmari

Thanks 240b- I thought about the RTV route, but had hoped to avoid that. I'll give it a try.
I know why dogs stick thier head out the car window.

Thank You Sponsors!