iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The stuff I'm asked to saw

Started by pineywoods, December 28, 2010, 07:40:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pineywoods

A real good neighbor brought me this log. It's osage orange, hedge, bois d'arc, bodock, horse apple,  or whatever your name might be. For scale, that's a stihl ms290 with a 20 inch bar.

The butt end

in between

He wants 6/4 X 6/4 sticks. Looks like fun huh....
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

paul case

do you use a metal cutting blade on the old mizer for that stuff? pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Captain

coldnorth

I'm surprised he didn't want 14" wide boards with no checks or knots.
If you want something done correctly, you have to do it yourself.

gator gar

I call that a Gorilla log. Strong and ugly!!

Burlkraft

It looks as though it would make excellent bow blanks

Why not just 1 pain free day?

paul case

Quote from: Burlkraft on December 28, 2010, 08:19:19 PM
It looks as though it would make excellent bow blanks

am i missing sumptin??? did ya'll see the wire?
it dont even look like good firewood to me. pc
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
pc

Corley5

I wouldn't want to run that through a firewood processor  ;D :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Burlkraft

Quote from: paul case on December 28, 2010, 08:25:14 PM
am i missing sumptin??? did ya'll see the wire?
it dont even look like good firewood to me. pc

Aww  Come on man...You can saw up anything.

It's pre arched I'm sure. And don't worry about that wire...You won't hit it!

Are we becoming like the NFL?  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

bandmiller2

Ain't she a beauty,Piney was the guy serious or trying to twist your tail??Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

cjfrank

I charge by the hour and by the blade when it comes to that stuff. I've sawn a lot of reclaimed wood out of old barns and warehouses and that is an everyday occurance in that line of business. To this day I still don't like to saw it but, hey if the $$$ is there do it!!!!!!!
cjfrank, 1976 clark 664 skidder
Model 4000 Iron Mule Forwarder
1958 JD 620 Tractor
1990 peterbuilt straight truck with lemco loader, 2009 Woodmizer LT40 w/12' Extension

Brad_S.

Hardest thing for me to learn in business was how to say "no".
That would be a "no" right there, good friend or not.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

paul case

i would probably say''now why did you bring me a piece of........no, no ......i said no''. pc
pc

terrifictimbersllc

Last picture looks like a bunch of trolls living in it.  8) 8) 8)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Dangerous_Dan

I would mill up his order using a good log off my pile and put his on the back side of the tub grinder pile out of sight.
When he comes to pick up the nice lumber just smile.  ;D

DD
First you make it work, then you trick it out!

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WDH

Piney,

That takes the cake as one of the worst logs that I have ever seen  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

beenthere

Quote from: Dangerous_Dan on December 28, 2010, 09:58:25 PM
I would mill up his order using a good log off my pile and put his on the back side of the tub grinder pile out of sight.
When he comes to pick up the nice lumber just smile.  ;D

DD

:D :D

but just hand him one 6/4 x 6/4 stick.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

KingTimber

You must love a challenge.

Put on an old blade and go slow.
I keep a few around that have hit nails before.
Looks like a good use for one.
One must remember that the wire will be in the middle also. I hit barbed wire once, spent like half an hour digging it out to hit it again. A fence tree that has wire on the outside will also have some from 40 years earlier. Suprise.....

Bandmill Bandit

The best way to say no is is tell the guy something like this;

yea i can cut but it will be a 1000 dollar to start my saw and a 100 bucks an hour plus blades, and repair time and parts for any and all damage resulting from milling that piece. If the guys forks over the 1000 have at her.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

pineywoods

I'll probably have a shot at sawing this DanG thing. Already cut up the 2 biggest limbs, 6 ft cuts. Bodock as we call it, is rather rare locally, so I can't just swap logs. Most of it will be made into game calls (duck and turkey). I have already posted some pics of some of his work, real works of art. I do have a metal detector and some old damaged blades that I save for just this kind of sawing. Won't matter if the cuts are wavy and rough. The wire is still bright and shiney, not rusty, so it probably won't be very deep  ::)

And yes, I do like a challenge
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

west penn

Garbage in-- Garbage out!   If he's really a good neighbor, do him a favor and save yourselves a lot of grief.    Roll it over a bank somewhere out of sight.

tyb525

Sometimes the ugliest logs make the prettiest wood ;)
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

H60 Hawk Pilot

Let me Know how you make out and pic's. .

I'm going to be buying tree's in the near future and want to see what happens when metal is in the log and related damage, etc. .  I was considering the purchase of some yard trees but may change my mind.

Avery
Case 1150B & IHC TD-340 Dozer's, IHC 4WD 3800 & CAT 436B Hoe's, Franklin 170, Semi's: (1) Freightliner, (2) KW's, Marmon, Mack w/ Prentice Ldr., F-700 Crane Trk., (6) Mid Size Trk's. - Dumps, Flats, 1 Ton w/ 40 ft. 5th Whl. & (4) Semi Tlr's., LM 2000 Mill, (2) XL 12's., Solo 681, EFCO 152, Old Iron.

weisyboy

i bet when he was tellign you about it, he planted it himself and tehre definetly wasnt any nails / steel in it. :D

some people have no idea
god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia
www.weisssawmilling.com.au
http://www.youtube.com/user/weisyboy?feature=mhee
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000696669814&sk=photos

Thank You Sponsors!