iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Last logs for this year

Started by tyb525, December 28, 2010, 02:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

Quote from: WDH on December 30, 2010, 07:38:13 AM
Shop?????  That looks like an aircraft hanger  :D.

I don't know it's a little cramped, can hardly turn that machine around in there with those 40' plates on it.

:D  :D :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

barbender

I don't know how you get bt with that dinky little "shop", Dave :D
Too many irons in the fire

northwoods1

tyb 525 , I want to compliment you! If you are 18 years old and cutting skidding sawing wood like that you are one on the ball guy :)
don't forget about that hollow butt log though even if there is a lot of rot , sometimes those narrow jacket boards have really nice figure particularly close to the stump.
I hope you have a home for the boards you will saw out of that cherry they deserve a very good one!

tyb525

Northwoods,

Thanks! I really am 18, I do all my own felling, skidding, milling, and everything else. I got my mill two years ago, but I was woodworking before that. Despite the fact that I still live at home, and that's where my operation is, I have been slowly developing a business selling lumber, custom sawing, and woodworking. I think the only reason my mom let me start it was so I'd stay out of trouble ;D. But boy I love it!

I'd estimate I'm nearing the 7.5mbf mark overall. My next major goals are to get a solar kiln and a saw shed built. I need to get some new pictures put up.

That cherry turned out real nice, I got it all sawn up. It was a whole lot clearer than I thought it would be, and it has a great color. I haven't tallied it, but as it sits on stickers, I'd guess it's about 300 bf.

As far as where it goes, well, I'll make something out of it or sell it! None of my wood goes to waste.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Shotgun

Quote from: tyb525 on December 31, 2010, 08:53:43 PM

Thanks! I really am 18....

Ty, I thought you were 18 a couple of years ago.   :D  And here you're still 18. I wish you'd let me know how you pull that off.  At this stage in my life, I really need to learn how you do that.   ;)

Seriously, it's great fun to see that you're such a "do-er".

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

SwampDonkey

He just needs some pretty thing to bat her eyes at him and he'll switch gears. Then again, he could be like a friend of mine that told the wife "better get used to it".  :D ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

tyb525

SD, I already have one of those, and she is supportive of me. Although I haven't convinced her to help me yet ;D
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

WDH

Norm,

You are right!  He has been 18 at least for the last couple of years! 

Ty,  those cherry logs were very nice with little sapwood.  Our cherry down here generally has wider sapwood, but it can be real pretty too.  I love working with cherry.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

tyb525

Quote from: WDH on December 31, 2010, 10:20:45 PM
Norm,

...He has been 18 at least for the last couple of years!

That's because when I signed up, I was 16 but put my age as 17 ;) When I actually hit 17 I changed it to my real age. So, I was 17 for two years, but only 18 for this year :D

Coming up Jan 28th that will change!

WDH

So, that will make you 17 again  ???  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

tyb525

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Norm

I'm going to remember that trick on my next birthday!  :D

Woodcarver

That's better than being 39.   :D
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

customsawyer

Your work is looking good there tyb525
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

paul case

looks good there ty,
if i was 18 and had an interest in sawing i would be building houses with my own sawn lumber. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

tyb525

Paul, that thought has crossed my mind more than once ;D I've already got my house designed in sketchup....I just gotta saw it, and find a place for it ;)

northwoods1

Quote from: tyb525 on January 01, 2011, 12:39:11 PM
Paul, that thought has crossed my mind more than once ;D I've already got my house designed in sketchup....I just gotta saw it, and find a place for it ;)

Ty , when I was 18 yrs old I began gathering material for my house. I didn't have a sawmill though I had to hire all that out. In retrospect if I could have swung buying a mill back then it would have paid for itself in a hurry. But I was to poor to do it. Now I have an lt40. Almost everything in my house I sawed and some of it is reclaimed I got all of the 24' foot 2"x12" for the roof out of a drive in theater that was being dismantled. Designed the house my self and literally almost built in single handedly everything from the flat work to the finishing. I learned a lot doing all that and saved a bunch of money. One piece of advice I would give you is choose carefully where you build. I thought I put mine far enough back in the woods but now my property taxes are so high I don't know if I could really retire here, or want too.

SwampDonkey

They'll find you from aerial photography just the same no matter how far in the bush you go. ;D

I have a cousin who is an assessor. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

paul case

thats nice northwoods,
i sawed out my house too.

this is my rough red oak paneling.

this is live edge erc paneling  in my house.

we used sheet metal for the exterior. we wanted zero maintenance and the barn look. taxes went up anyway.
we actually moved the house my grandfather built in 52 to my farm. it was 26'x44'. we added 26'x58' on. the framing lumber for the add on would have cost as much as the mill.
we love our new house and the experience is worth the trouble. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Thank You Sponsors!