iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is it good enough?

Started by D._Frederick, December 28, 2010, 01:04:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D._Frederick

More of the story of my PM 66 arbor bearing problem. I bought the press from HF and was able to get the bearings pressed off of the arbor. I took the arbor to my (tool and die) friend and he measured the fixed collar between arbor shaft centers, had about 0.003 inches of wobble. Then using collets where the bearings go to hold the arbor shaft, the fixed collar still had measurable wobble.

We re-faced the fixed collar and pressed new bearing on to the arbor. I am in the process of putting the saw back together. I took my dial indicator and checked the wobble of the fixed collar.

I found that I have between 0.0005 and 0.001 inches of wobble. I put the saw blade on that I use with my zero clearance insert, it now hits both sides of the insert when I spin the blade.

If I take the bearings off, they will be ruined because I can't get at the inter race to press them off.  The saw is not as good as before the factory bearings went bad.

Will this amount of wobble cause me problems? How can I reduce the wobble any further?     

logwalker

Are you sure that your blade is flat? After all that machine work I would expect a better result.

Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

laffs

why not heat it up with a torch and slide it off. then heat it up and slide it back on?
timber harvester,tinberjack230,34hp kubota,job ace excavator carpenter tools up the yingyang,

tyb525

Try a new blade, those measurements are more than good enough.

I've had a few cheap blades that weren't flat or became un-flat over time.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

jamesamd

Probably screwed it up pressing the bearings on.
they should have been heated and slid on by hand.
Gaulled the journels,My guess.
Jim
All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

Thank You Sponsors!