iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

"True Grit"

Started by KellyH, December 27, 2010, 10:42:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stumpy

My wife and I really enjoyed it.  I thought Jeff Bridges was a great choice for that role.  Last night my wife wanted to see the original, so we rented it.  I think John Wayne was much better, but the rest of the movie seemed hokey to me.  Maybe it's cause I really hated Glen Campbel in that role.  Also didn't like Kim Darby that much.  I was also surprised at how identical the movies were.  I would have expected the Coens to change their quite a bit.  All in all, both movies are worth watching again.
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

Jeff

I got the blueray from my Daughter for Father's Day this morning. I've not watched it yet, but have been wanting to see it.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Mooseherder

We are going to watch it this afternoon. :)
It has been here a few days waiting on the right time from netflix.

DouginUtah

I watched it a couple of nights ago. I enjoyed it up until the snake bite. Then it was downhill--like they ran out of time or money and needed to end it.
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

D Hagens

I burnt it last night, I wasn't all that impressed :( I think for this day and age it could have been done a lot better.

miking

I saw it three times when it was in the theaters. I first heard about it in Arizona when I took a tour of Old Tucson Studios, where Wayne filmed several movies. The tour guide said Jeff Bridges was the only actor that could have pulled it off in a remake and I think he was right. The original made an appearance on the big screen close to here this spring and I missed it but did go and see Stagecoach and The Searchers this weekend on the big screen.
Echo CS530, 600 and 680 chainsaws, SRM410U brushcutter, PB500 blower and PP265 power pruner. Also a Stihl 192c for the lil' stuff.

Jeff

I just finished watching it. I liked it.  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

pigman

Don't tell me the ending, I am going to see it tomorrow for free at out library.  ;D
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Raider Bill

Quote from: pigman on June 19, 2011, 11:28:04 PM
Don't tell me the ending, I am going to see it tomorrow for free at out library.  ;D

John Wayne dies
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

miking

Without saying too much about the ending, they could have had the two aging gunfighters near the end of the movie played by original cast members, Robert Duval and Glen Campbell but they didn't. Too bad!
Echo CS530, 600 and 680 chainsaws, SRM410U brushcutter, PB500 blower and PP265 power pruner. Also a Stihl 192c for the lil' stuff.

DR_Buck

Quote from: Burlkraft on December 30, 2010, 09:06:21 AM
We saw True Grit last night.

It was good, but I like the John Wayne version better.

Ditto
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Mooseherder

We liked the Movie but I got aggravated at the 5 previews of junk movies at the start.
There's ten minutes of my life I can't get back. >:(
Then the DVD stopped at a fork in the road and I had to get up and hit play quite a few times before it would start for some reason the DVD remote commands weren't working.
This is the first time something like that has happened.
I think Paramount Studio is trying to get me peaved. :D

pigman

I saw the movie tonight and Raider Bill was wrong, John Wayne did not die at the end. ;D  He was dead before the movie started. :(
I am sure the part Jeff liked the best was the snake scene. ;)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

MrMoo

We saw it at the theater a while back. I thought they did a good job with it.

Bibbyman

I appreciated that they didn't go for all that stylized camera work and CGI like so many of the modern movies.  The costumes looked right for the most part but looked too new and clean most of the time. 

James Gammon would have been perfect for Rooster Cogburn part!

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0304000/
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Slabs

Quote from: jim king on June 18, 2011, 08:14:37 PM
Slabs :

You need to adjust your sense of humor at supper time.

My last line was humor.  It would have been recognized back when I was humerous.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

thecfarm

I feel the customs look to new and bright on alot of movies. Some of those westerns they had some good soap and water.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

DouginUtah

Quote from: miking on June 20, 2011, 05:26:52 PM
Without saying too much about the ending, they could have had the two aging gunfighters near the end of the movie played by original cast members, Robert Duval and Glen Campbell but they didn't. Too bad!

Glen Campbell has Alzheimers.  :(
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

Patty

We watched the new True Grit movie last night.

I guess I'll stick with the advice that if I can't say anything nice, then say nothing at all....... :-X

Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Bibbyman

FYI,  Netflix has both "True Grit" movies available streaming.

FYI.2,  I still like the true, "True Grit" better even though it had a number of technical flaws.
Sawing since '94

paul case

I saw the ''new True Grit ''' over thanksgiving.
I hope they quit trying to remake any John Wayne movies right there. >:( :(    PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

zopi

If I ever see another movie, where there are no contractions in the dialog, I'm going to look up the writer/director and beat them with a nice stout piece of hickory. My god,  but that was annoying.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Bibbyman

I've seen two newer versions of Stagecoach.  Neater one was worth a spit. At least the 1966 version had Ann Margret and Slim Pickins.  The 1986 version with Johnny Cash and company was really bad.

We found a couple of great old John Wayne westerns before Christmas I told Mary to wrap up for me.   One was Red River, and the other The Cowboys. 
Sawing since '94

paul case

Those are worth watching again.... and again. PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Thank You Sponsors!