iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

"True Grit"

Started by KellyH, December 27, 2010, 10:42:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KellyH

My son and I went to see the re-make of "True Grit" this afternoon.  We enjoyed the movie a great deal and felt we had to tell everyone we know or kinda know to go see it.  Most re-makes don't do so well in my book but this has the ability to stand on its own two (four) feet.   smiley_horserider

I have already put my request in for a birthday gift when it comes out on BlueRay.  ;D
"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is who you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."

Jeff

This is one I'm wanting to see.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

paul case

i dont go to the movies much. not 2 times in the last 10 years but this one i want to see. thanks for the evaluation turbo man.   pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Dan_Shade

i saw it the other night.  The movie is not so much a "remake", but a new interpretation of the book.  In some ways, I think this movie is more powerful than the one with John Wayne (and his version is one of my favorites). 

Excellent movie, I give it 2 thumbs up.  I want to read the book now.

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Jeff

I saw an interview with Matt Damon and he was talking about having never saw the original when approached about the movie. He asked the Cohen Brothers if he should watch it and they said no, read the book.

H60 Hawk Pilot

I took my Son and X to see True Grit and enjoyed it as well. The John Wayne version is somewhat different from this version but has some of the same story line (in a way of saying).

John Wayne will always be in my top five actors rating. I like'd him because he was the real (mostly) deal and just read about him about two months ago.

Avery

Case 1150B & IHC TD-340 Dozer's, IHC 4WD 3800 & CAT 436B Hoe's, Franklin 170, Semi's: (1) Freightliner, (2) KW's, Marmon, Mack w/ Prentice Ldr., F-700 Crane Trk., (6) Mid Size Trk's. - Dumps, Flats, 1 Ton w/ 40 ft. 5th Whl. & (4) Semi Tlr's., LM 2000 Mill, (2) XL 12's., Solo 681, EFCO 152, Old Iron.

Faron

We probably haven't been to 10 movies in the 35 years we have been married.  However, we went last Thursday to see True Grit with our neighbors.  We actually liked it a little better than the '69 version.  I liked the ending of this version better. I haven't read the book, but I understand the movie follows the book much closer.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

gunman63

went and saw it over christmas weekend, was very good i thought.

Chris Burchfield

Wife and I saw it Sunday.  It's a good movie and fair relay of the story.  I only knew Damon and Bridges for the actors.  I've never read the book, I've been told the movie follows the book version of the story.  It is different than the 1969 version with John Wayne.  Today, I'm taking Gdaughter to see Disney's Tangled in 3D.  She  @ 4yoa nor I have ever seen a 3D movie.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

ely

3d movies are alot better than when i was a kid. we seen yogi the other nite, i liked it.

KellyH

This is a blast from the past in science fiction but the original "TRON" was good when I was a kid.  The new "TRON" is in 3-D and my son and I went to see it.  From a nostaligical point of view it was good but Sci-Fi is just that Sci-Fi.  My boy loved every minute of it! :)  Having some fun with my son, I can't complain about that.  8)
"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is who you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."

Tom

It's seldom that I go to a flick anymore.  I feel fairly comfortable with the movies of the 40's and 50's, but the '60's started a lot of morality-lesson films and that exasperates me.  The 70[s and 80's started this realism stuff and feel that there is enough blood and guts in real life.  I wanted to be entertained when I went to the movies and  yearned for safe fare.

Now I'm afraid to go see remakes because the changes are usually in the realism area and instead of people just disappearing from the plot, they are now realistically hung with a rope or have big holes blasted through their bodies.  Maybe it isn't as bad as I think, but I look for those kinds of descriptions from folks when they talk of a new movie.  I'd rather leave the film with a smile on my face, thinking that everybody lived happily ever-after. :D

Yeah, I sleep with my blanket over my head sometimes too.  :D :D

Chris Burchfield

Disney's Tangled in 3D was pretty good as far as animated goes. The chameleon and horse in the movie were both best supporting actors.  Gdaughter would laugh so hard sometimes.  I'd ask her sometimes if she could reach the character.  She'd be trying as there was an empty seat in front of her.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

Corley5

We saw "True Grit".  I liked it a lot.  Dee wasn't as impressed  :-\ :)  I haven't seen the John Wayne version in long time and need to watch it now  :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

terrifictimbersllc

Kept seeing short flashback bursts of John Wayne as I was watching True Grit yesterday.  It was good too, the girl, Matt, and Jeff are all great. Think I want to get the old one and watch it with my stepdaughter before she goes back to school.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

KellyH

Tom - With genuine respect towards your feelings on the subject I will go ahead and tell you this movie isn't any different than the one's you have tried to escape.

The realism is very evident and clear in nearly every chapter of this movie.  I'm in total agreement with you on so many of the flicks of present day being too vivid.  Unfornately even the video games my son plays are fairly over done with realism and the like.  We live in a fast ever gaining more speed world out there.

Some of my favorite movies of all time are the "Herbie Love Bug" series.  So there you go!  8)

Happy New Year!   smiley_striped_tophat

Bibbyman

I'm not much of a fan of remakes.  They remade Stagecoach a couple of times.  The remakes were nowhere near as good as the original.   I think they would be turkeys without being compared to the original.  

Mary got a DVD off the $5.00 rack the other day titled "Wanted".  The biggest draw was that it was an action movie with Angelina Jolie.  (She picked it – I didn't).  I set through it one time – well, because it had Angelina Jolie in it.  (She would have looked better without all the tattoos.)  But it was not a movie for us.  It was a like a video game made into a movie.   Most preposterous ballistics and physical stunts made it laughable.  Yet the blood and gore in was splattered everywhere in slow motion.

I for sure won't rush out to the theater and watch the new True Grit.  I'll likely watch it when it comes to my home for free over Netflx or the like.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Burlkraft

We saw True Grit last night.

It was good, but I like the John Wayne version better.
Why not just 1 pain free day?

ErikC

I saw it last night too. I liked it better than the old one, I think due to the better dialogue :)
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

woodhick

Went and seen it yesterday.  Very good movie and well worth going to see.  John Wayne was my hero growing up as a small boy and still walks very tall in my book.  I agree that the dialouge in the new version is more for the period and I liked that.  I thougt Bridges done and excellent job as did the girl, cant say the same about  the Texa ranger.  All in all a good movie to see.  Probably the first movie I have seen in few years and I would recommend it.
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

Bibbyman

Mary and I just watched True Grit.  Got it from Netflix.

Great movie in itself.  I come to enjoy everything I've seen the Coen's do although I've not seen them all.

Too bad they wasted all this effort to make a remake of an already great movie.  I'm much rather it'd been a different movie. 
Sawing since '94

Slabs

Tom and Turboman

I side with you on the "excess fantasy" angle of contemporary films.  I ran a slaughterhouse in an earlier life and got enough blood, guts and gore there.

Along with the carnage, I object to the radical emphacis in foul language/profanity.  Witness was one of the most beautiful movies I have ever seen except for the excessive profanity.

There's a better way.  I just wish Hollywood realized it.  The cop shows on TV could tone the autopsy rooms back a bit also, especially since I normally eat supper somewhat late.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

jim king

Slabs :

You need to adjust your sense of humor at supper time.

Bobus2003

Honestly i thought it sucked, and would really like that 2 hours of my life back.. Maybe thats cause i really like the John Wayne version (seen it prolly 30 times)

Ernie

Now, I'm of two minds, unfortunately neither have much in the way of recent memory capability,  We have been to two movies in the 40 years we have been married, one was the Last Samarai, only because some of our cattle were in it and the other escapes me right now.  I remember well the old days when every Saturday night , Mum and Dad would load us all into the station wagon with a big brown paper grocery bag of freshly made  popcorn from home and we would head off to the drive in.  OH for the good ol' days.
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

stumpy

My wife and I really enjoyed it.  I thought Jeff Bridges was a great choice for that role.  Last night my wife wanted to see the original, so we rented it.  I think John Wayne was much better, but the rest of the movie seemed hokey to me.  Maybe it's cause I really hated Glen Campbel in that role.  Also didn't like Kim Darby that much.  I was also surprised at how identical the movies were.  I would have expected the Coens to change their quite a bit.  All in all, both movies are worth watching again.
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

Jeff

I got the blueray from my Daughter for Father's Day this morning. I've not watched it yet, but have been wanting to see it.

Mooseherder

We are going to watch it this afternoon. :)
It has been here a few days waiting on the right time from netflix.

DouginUtah

I watched it a couple of nights ago. I enjoyed it up until the snake bite. Then it was downhill--like they ran out of time or money and needed to end it.
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

D Hagens

I burnt it last night, I wasn't all that impressed :( I think for this day and age it could have been done a lot better.

miking

I saw it three times when it was in the theaters. I first heard about it in Arizona when I took a tour of Old Tucson Studios, where Wayne filmed several movies. The tour guide said Jeff Bridges was the only actor that could have pulled it off in a remake and I think he was right. The original made an appearance on the big screen close to here this spring and I missed it but did go and see Stagecoach and The Searchers this weekend on the big screen.
Echo CS530, 600 and 680 chainsaws, SRM410U brushcutter, PB500 blower and PP265 power pruner. Also a Stihl 192c for the lil' stuff.

Jeff

I just finished watching it. I liked it.  :)

pigman

Don't tell me the ending, I am going to see it tomorrow for free at out library.  ;D
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Raider Bill

Quote from: pigman on June 19, 2011, 11:28:04 PM
Don't tell me the ending, I am going to see it tomorrow for free at out library.  ;D

John Wayne dies
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

miking

Without saying too much about the ending, they could have had the two aging gunfighters near the end of the movie played by original cast members, Robert Duval and Glen Campbell but they didn't. Too bad!
Echo CS530, 600 and 680 chainsaws, SRM410U brushcutter, PB500 blower and PP265 power pruner. Also a Stihl 192c for the lil' stuff.

DR_Buck

Quote from: Burlkraft on December 30, 2010, 09:06:21 AM
We saw True Grit last night.

It was good, but I like the John Wayne version better.

Ditto
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Mooseherder

We liked the Movie but I got aggravated at the 5 previews of junk movies at the start.
There's ten minutes of my life I can't get back. >:(
Then the DVD stopped at a fork in the road and I had to get up and hit play quite a few times before it would start for some reason the DVD remote commands weren't working.
This is the first time something like that has happened.
I think Paramount Studio is trying to get me peaved. :D

pigman

I saw the movie tonight and Raider Bill was wrong, John Wayne did not die at the end. ;D  He was dead before the movie started. :(
I am sure the part Jeff liked the best was the snake scene. ;)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

MrMoo

We saw it at the theater a while back. I thought they did a good job with it.

Bibbyman

I appreciated that they didn't go for all that stylized camera work and CGI like so many of the modern movies.  The costumes looked right for the most part but looked too new and clean most of the time. 

James Gammon would have been perfect for Rooster Cogburn part!

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0304000/
Sawing since '94

Slabs

Quote from: jim king on June 18, 2011, 08:14:37 PM
Slabs :

You need to adjust your sense of humor at supper time.

My last line was humor.  It would have been recognized back when I was humerous.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

thecfarm

I feel the customs look to new and bright on alot of movies. Some of those westerns they had some good soap and water.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

DouginUtah

Quote from: miking on June 20, 2011, 05:26:52 PM
Without saying too much about the ending, they could have had the two aging gunfighters near the end of the movie played by original cast members, Robert Duval and Glen Campbell but they didn't. Too bad!

Glen Campbell has Alzheimers.  :(
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

Patty

We watched the new True Grit movie last night.

I guess I'll stick with the advice that if I can't say anything nice, then say nothing at all....... :-X

Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Bibbyman

FYI,  Netflix has both "True Grit" movies available streaming.

FYI.2,  I still like the true, "True Grit" better even though it had a number of technical flaws.
Sawing since '94

paul case

I saw the ''new True Grit ''' over thanksgiving.
I hope they quit trying to remake any John Wayne movies right there. >:( :(    PC
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
pc

zopi

If I ever see another movie, where there are no contractions in the dialog, I'm going to look up the writer/director and beat them with a nice stout piece of hickory. My god,  but that was annoying.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Bibbyman

I've seen two newer versions of Stagecoach.  Neater one was worth a spit. At least the 1966 version had Ann Margret and Slim Pickins.  The 1986 version with Johnny Cash and company was really bad.

We found a couple of great old John Wayne westerns before Christmas I told Mary to wrap up for me.   One was Red River, and the other The Cowboys. 
Sawing since '94

paul case

Those are worth watching again.... and again. PC
pc

Thank You Sponsors!