iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

smokin', what's your favorite recipe?

Started by isawlogs, December 27, 2010, 03:54:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

isawlogs

I am about to smole some sausages I made , I have a  small Meco electric smoker I can use. I will be using cherry for the smoke I was planning on smoking them and cooking tomorow all with the smoker.
I also want to make some jerky I did a test batch in the dehydrator and they came out real nice, this time they will get a little smoke flavor added , question here is how long should they be in the smoker ???

This is the jerky I made last week,   :) :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

isawlogs

Either or ,  :D    I will be making both .  :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Raider Bill

Same smoke for both? cherry? I guess it will depend on how smoky you want it plus sausage and jerky will absorb at different rates. Prob will have to sample at different times to see how much they have taken.
The sausage casements will have a lot to do with it too depending on what kind you are using.

isawlogs

Sausage casing are natural hog, wont be making both at the same time, I also have maple here for the smoke.

Marcel

Raider Bill

Maple will be nice. I tend to use a lot of oak, pecan and hickory. 

sbishop

isawlogs

OK .. Maple it will be , now how long should /would you smoke the sauge for  and the jerky. just an estimate would do me fine , I can work with that .

Marcel

Radar67

Marcel, when I make jerky I don't really worry about the time. I figure you can't over do it, since once it is dry, it won't get any drier. With 1/8 inch strips I usually dry for 24 hours minimum.  Try marinating it in liquid smoke with just a pinch or two of Tony's Creole seasoning, or Cavender's Greek seasoning.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Reddog

Quote from: isawlogs on December 27, 2010, 04:28:47 PM

OK .. Maple it will be , now how long should /would you smoke the sauge for  and the jerky. just an estimate would do me fine , I can work with that .

Maple here also.
Heavy smudge, with the smoker temp set at less than 120 Deg F until the casing is colored the way I want. Most times takes about 2-4 hours. Then turn up the heat to 165 F until an internal temp of 145-150 F is reached. Then remove and cold water shower or hang in freezer to lower the temp to below 120 F. You can just put them out side in the arctic temps.  ;) For summer type sausage I like to let them age in the frig for a few days to build flavor, then freeze for storage.

Jerky some one else will need to help you with. :)

DanG

Here's a little tip for ya, Marcel.  Don't use Maple unless you like Maple flavor. ;D  Personally, I don't care for it, so I use a mix of Cherry, Pecan, and Oak.  I keep some chunks of each in some old beer boxes near the grill, because what I have is Cherry, Pecan, Oak and old beer boxes. ;D  I just get a hot bed of charcoal going in one end of the grill with a chunk of each wood on top, put the raw sausages on the other end and hot smoke them, so they're ready to eat in one easy step.  Ain't had no complaints lately.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

isawlogs

Dan , thanks , hope ya aint eating alone .  ;D

Marcel

DanG

I always eat alone, unless I'm with somebody. ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Thank You Sponsors!