iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What's for dinner on Christmas?

Started by Paschale, December 23, 2010, 11:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paschale

So I've been on an insane diet for the past three months, and have hardly cooked at all.  I decided to go all out for Christmas.  I bought some great prime rib, raised about 45 miles from home--going local!  I'll be roasting that with some salt, pepper and rosemary.

To start the meal, however, I'm making a potato/leek soup.

Veggies with dinner will be French:

A cauliflower gratin, a variation on ratatouillie, and sauteed fingerling potatoes.  I'll be making some homemade horseradish sauce too, and for some appetizers, some chicken salad made with smoked almonds, shallots and tarragon, along with a crab salad, served in some of those filo cups.

Mom's bringing her cherry pie, which is the best, and I'm hoping to make up some homemade cinnamon ice cream too.

After three months away from my kitchen, I'm coming back with a vengeance!   ;D

Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

sawguy21

Sounds like a mighty feast. How did the diet go?.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Paschale

65 lbs lost!  I still want to lose 20 or so more...but that'll be after Christmas!
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

DanG

DanG!  You need to get up with Woodhauler over on the General Board.  He's been melting them pounds off too.

Congrats on the big loss, and Merry Christmas! :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

woodsteach

Tonight we are having (everything is home grown)  roast, sweat taters, asparagus and peaches  and sticky buns for desert, then off to midnight mass.

Tomorrow at my folks we are bringing 3-mushroom soup, (we cleaned out the freezer and found a bag of dried morells  8) 8) 8)  )   At the in-laws the menu is pulled pork dinner.

Congrats as well on the big loss. 

Now what is the recipe for that cinnamon ice cream?  I'll worry about my diet after the Holidays ;D

Merry Christmas
Paul

Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

fishpharmer

Congrats on the weight loss.  I know you'll enjoy your good cooking for Christmas. Have a Merry Christmas! 8)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Burlkraft

I am gonna make halibut and rib eyes on the grill, some of this year's frozen sweet corn, twice baked's and cookies  ;D ;D ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Don_Papenburg

We had prime rib and pork, scaluped potatoes and garden beets.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

northwoods1

Quote from: Burlkraft on December 24, 2010, 10:37:07 AM
I am gonna make halibut and rib eyes on the grill, some of this year's frozen sweet corn, twice baked's and cookies  ;D ;D ;D

Oh my gosh, halibut and ribeye if that doesn't sound like about the best combo ever :)

Not to long ago I ate the last of my halibut from my AK fishing trip :( :'(

I had beef tenderloin that I filleted it open and stuffed it with some onions and 2 different kinds of mushrooms, then I tied it all back together and put a rub on it I made up, then seared the heck out of in a pan and put it in the oven on low for just 10-15 minutes to let it finish cooking to perfection. Mashed potatoes with garlic and onion and a spinach salad with hot bacon dressing rounded out my meal. I love leftovers :) :)

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

DanG

"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

WH_Conley

It's a lot easier on the teeth that way.
Bill

Raider Bill

This was done like a fine steak

Warm on outside, cool on inside. Even had some crunchies on top, aka blacked burnt cheese.

I did end up with a piece of homemade apple pie.

thecfarm

We have alot of so called big meals ourselves.What I prefer and did have this year was alot of finger food. Cheese,pepperoni,ham,crackers,cookies,pies,finger rolls,candy. I ate all day and had fun doing it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

LeeB

I guess they put on a big spread at work. I was working nights and didn't want to get up for it. They camp boss did save me a couple lobster tails. I made a salad with them. By the time I got them, they were a little on the dry side. Best I could do with them. I'm sitting in the hotel right now waiting to go home. We'll do Christmas dinner when I get there. I think I'm supposed to fry a turkey.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

scgargoyle

Quote from: Raider Bill on December 27, 2010, 09:14:13 AM
Frozen lasagna.

Some people have all the luck. I had to settle for prime rib!
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

Raider Bill

John,
Guess you need to hang around here more ::) ::)

Thank You Sponsors!