iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

log splitter conversion

Started by keepitreal9, December 23, 2010, 10:47:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keepitreal9

I am wanting a faster cycle time on my hydraulic splitter, which has a 24x4x1.5 inch cylinder. I've seen these processors like apache and multitek that have 6 or even 5 second cyle times, and I'd really like to get that. The
cylinder I have has 1/2 inch ports though, and I'm wondering if that is going to be a big issue. Does anyone
know if that's something I should worry about? I'm thinking of using a 2 stage 28 gpm pump on a 17 hp John Deere engine. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. Eric

sawguy21

To get speed you need oil flow, lots of it. You could add a bigger pump and more power to drive it but you will be limited by the inlet and outlet fittings on the cylinder
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Bill Gaiche

keepitreal9, welcome aboard. The previous statement has merit. It takes more pressure to push more gallons thru a given port. Dont know anymore than that, but what you have to put on will make a difference for sure.Sometimes trial and error is what it takes to be satisfied. Good luck, bg 

lumberjack48

Before you change anything make sure the valve bank on your controller is wide open, this controls the amount of oil flow throw it. There set for safety, not speed.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

John Mc

Do you need all of the splitting force on your splitter now? If not, you could swap out a 3.5" diameter cylinder. This should give you roughly 25% faster cycle time (and about 25% less splitting force)
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

doghunter

a cylinder with a 1.75 rod will increase your return speed most wood splitter valves are limited to about 20gpm we have a splitter with a 22gpm pump using a cylinder with 1/2 ports and get a fast cycle time used 3/4 lines  most restrictions are in the fittings anyway  go to www.surplus center.com they have a lot of good info on hydraulics

Ford_man

The Cylinder on my hakki processor is only a 2.5 bore but it don't split all the logs but it is fast. It will split about 95% of the wood I run through it.

John Mc

Quote from: Ford_man on December 24, 2010, 06:10:06 PM
The Cylinder on my hakki processor is only a 2.5 bore but it don't split all the logs but it is fast. It will split about 95% of the wood I run through it.

I wonder if your processor runs at a higher pressure than some of the stand alone splitters? That might help make up for the small bore size...
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

JDeere

As doghunter said, check out Surplus Center. I found the following to be very helpful.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydraulic.htm
2013 Western Star, 2012 Pelletier trailer, Serco 7500 crane, 2007 Volvo EC 140, 2009 John Deere 6115D, 2002 Cat 938G, 1997 John Deere 540G, 1996 Cat D-3C, 1995 Cat 416B, 2013 Cat 305.5E

Ford_man

The pressure on my processor is 2600# It is only considered a 7.5 ton splitter

John Mc

Quote from: Ford_man on December 25, 2010, 06:20:44 PM
The pressure on my processor is 2600# It is only considered a 7.5 ton splitter

Unless I'm messing up my calculations, you'd need to be up a little over 3000 psi to get 7.5 tons out of a 2.5" bore cylinder.

John Mc

keepitreal9

thanks all, the surpluscenter.com help was indeed helpful. I'm using 3/4 in. hoses and have even drilled out the inside of my cylinder as it only had 3/8 in. holes (was using 3/8 in. hose as well.) Question now is, how important is a suction strainer in your hydraulic tank? I can't seem to find a strainer for 28 GPM that has 1" ports. If I am sure the tank is clean and that it stays clean, and I use a filter on the return line, why would I need a strainer in the tank?
Hopefully I'll have this thing running by next week, I'll post a vid. Thanks. Eric

doghunter

i think surplus center has a canister type strainer that might do what u need ive always been afraid not to run a strainer because that is the first defense for your pump [one piece of welding slag goodbye pump ]
doghunter

Thank You Sponsors!