Playing with Duanes Circle mill

Started by captain_crunch, December 23, 2010, 09:47:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

captain_crunch

Shorty(my youngest) and I got drafted to work on Duane's mill today
Shorty the off bearer

Sawdust a flying

Duane himself

Went good till was my turn 5 seconds to cut 16 ft 2X6 :o :o Good going till I stuck my little finger to cant with Dog  >:( >:(OUCH like clear thru so we did not look at other mill or shake jig. Pansy me had to come home and find band aid befer I blead to death. He complained about me blaeding all over boards but I did finish log
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

DanG

OUCH!  You gonna change your name to Captain Pinch now?  Great pics though. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

captain_crunch

M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Ron Wenrich

Those hand mills are fun to run.  It used to be that you could tell which guy was the sawyer.  He was usually the guy that was missing a digit or two.  Slammed that dog down on a finger and pinched it off. 

I've always worn gloves when I sawed on hand mills.  I've lost a few glove fingers, but never the real thing. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

captain_crunch

Bellsaw set works are cruder but in my book safer :D :D I belive these are Corley and lots heavier and the dogs being shorter seem to get pinkies in harms was better But other than being sore it was a good wake up call. I was useing his saw and cutting his logs so was kinda out of place

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: captain_crunch on December 23, 2010, 11:27:12 PM
Dan
More like Captain Gored ;D ;D
Keep it Captain_Crunch, that still fits. Is that why they're called "hand mills"?   ::) ::) ::)Sorry to hear about your finger, my thumb had a bandaid on it a few days, pulling a 6x10 into customer's trailer at the front of my mill, he had ramps which wouldn't come off and were in the way all day including in the way of my thumb.

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

bandmiller2

Sorry Cappy, thats what Popeye would call embarasking.Hopefully you check where your fingers are before you wack your dogs down with a hammer.Its tough on a strange mill their all differant. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Meadows Miller

Gday

Thats a SWEET Looking Mill you got there Duane  ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) 8)  Whats the power plant I want all the details ???  ;)  :D ;D ;D

Crunch What are you bloody doin to yourself  Mate  :o :) ??? ::) ;) :D :D :D Rack dogs are just alittle different that those cam dogs you are use to using you can use them single handed and keep the other one outa the way  ;) :D ;D ;D But  I feel your pain we all knock our hands n digits about abit in this game from time to time  ;)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Magicman

Looks like it was a fun day.  Sorry that it also was a memorable one.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

captain_crunch

Finger mucs better today and it did not get me as bad as it looked after it closed up :) :) I will get more pics today. Thanks for you fellers consern and advise. I always worrie about big things like Blade and flying stuff then let the dog bite me is kinda embarassing ::) ::)
Medows
This is the mill that replaced my bellsaw it used to set in same shed. Belive carrage is a Corley as is rest of mill power is a 4 cyl Jimmy. One thing that suprized me is even tho it is faster it is not set up as well as we did on my saw(for 1 man) He runs a 50 in Hoe blade and had roll cases everywhere. It has hyd turners but not hooked up. Duane has owned pony mills since he was in his 20's and now is 76 and is always baffeled as to how much I have learned in 1 1/2 years( he does not understand what you can learn in the RIGHT place with a computer till 6 years ago neither did I) Got to go as he will be after me in a few mins.

Dave_

Captain, when I make it up to your place, do you think a field trip to this mill could be arranged?   8) Beings that I am running a Belsaw and plan to build a Corley, seems like I could profit well from seeing both and filling up the memory card on my camera   ;D

captain_crunch

Dave
That was my plan to take you up to Duanes mill he may know of some pieces you need

bandmiller2

How well a mill is set up makes all the differance only experiance with that mill will let you fine tune it.When you run a mill anything that feels awkward or out of place should be corrected if possible,a mill is all material handling.Glad your finger has rallied.Frank C.

Dave_

laffs

its a good thing you wear pants... sorry :D
timber harvester,tinberjack230,34hp kubota,job ace excavator carpenter tools up the yingyang,

captain_crunch

More pics fer Medows
the power plant

This is a neat feature lever moves bar in and out to allow for log taper and the DOG that bit me

part of carrage drive

view of blade and out feed

bandmiller2

You just got to love old sawmill machinery.There are few things better than standing in the sawyers box and watching a fine log go through the saw,the sound ,smell and you can feel the wind off the saw.Disclamer, pi$$ oak dosen't smell that great.Frank C.

Meadows Miller

Gday

And Thanks for the Pics Shes a tidy setup for her age and that lill jimmy would pull it well  and Its nice to see it working as I remember the thread you did on it a while back Mate  ;) ;D  Did he buy it as a complete mill or did he rebuild it himself  ???

And ment to say Im with Ron on his comment that Those hand mills are fun to run  ;) ;D 8) there is nothing quite like being on a manual or semi manual style mill where you actually have to touch the timber and you are close to the action ive done abit of sawing in booths in my time even though you are more productive usually it dose take abit away from it  ;)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

captain_crunch

Here are the rest Duanes cheat wheel

The Half moon log turners

I really like these set works

Possibly the next project

ibbob

Bob

Dave_

Thanks for taking one for the team.  I was wondering the same thing :D

captain_crunch

ibbob
Here is a pic of mine maybe it will make sence to you I just set Duanes in bracket for pic. once you get them set like 2 in for example you just ratchet cant against wheel for makeing repeat cuts cuts down on math ;D

I am not useing mine in pic but hope this helps
Brian

Corley5

Great Pics.  Why isn't he using the peg in the setworks for repetitive cuts instead of the cheat wheel  ???
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Texas Ranger

Captain, that looks a lot like the first and only saw mill I ran, but mine was older, WWII era I think, old military mill.  Talk about a hands on experience, I got some pictures around here if I can find them.  We logged with old deuce and half's, and we kept some just for parts.

Ah, the wasted youth.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

captain_crunch

Corley5
Proably cause we don't know how to use it ;D ;D He had the wheel on the mill I have so he just built another one. If you can explane how it works I can play Genius next time I see him 8) 8)

Thank You Sponsors!