iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Recall of Stihl 361C

Started by Roxie, December 23, 2010, 06:22:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roxie

Just a 'heads up.'  This recall received by email from the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission:

1. STIHL Inc. Recalls Chain Saws Due to Laceration Hazard

U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission
Office of Information and Public Affairs
Washington, DC 20207

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
December 23, 2010
Release #11-080

Firm's Recall Hotline: (800) 610-6677
CPSC Recall Hotline: (800) 638-2772
CPSC Media Contact: (301) 504-7908

STIHL Inc. Recalls Chain Saws Due to Laceration Hazard

WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with the firm named below, today announced a voluntary recall of the following consumer product. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed. It is illegal to resell or attempt to resell a recalled consumer product.

Name of Product: STIHL MS 361C chain saws (C-Q version)

Units: About 5,000

Manufacturer: STIHL Incorporated of Virginia Beach, Va.

Hazard: The throttle trigger may stick after it has been released by the operator, which could cause the engine to continue to run at a speed that drives the saw chain. This can pose a risk of a laceration injury to the user or a bystander.

Incidents/Injuries: STIHL has received three reports of the throttle trigger sticking. No injuries have been reported.

Description: The recalled chain saws have a rear-handle activated chain brake (C-Q version) and have an orange top casing, gray base, black handle and "STIHL MS 361C" printed in an orange circle on the side of the unit.

Sold at: Authorized STIHL dealers nationwide from February 2004 through August 2009 for about $640.

Manufactured in: United States.

Remedy: Consumers should stop using these chain saws immediately and return them to an authorized STIHL dealer for a free repair.

Consumer Contact: For additional information, contact STIHL at (800) 610-6677 between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. ET Monday through Friday or visit STIHL's website at www.stihlusa.com
Say when

Rocky_J

Is this ironic?  :D   I thought the redundant secondary chain brake was supposed to stop the saw when released, not lock it in full throttle.

Warbird

John R

MAN, if I'd a known that extra lever was a throttle lock, I'd bought one of the them instead of the 361 I bought. :D
John

Sthil MS 361 20" Bar
Sthil MS 260 PRO 16" Bar
Oregon 511 AX Chain Grinder

Warbird

Red 93 L1 #3383

It's sad when 3 complaints & no resulting injures about a sticking triggers cause 5000 saws built & sold over a 5 year period to be recalled.  If it was 100 complaints with a production of 1000 saws in one year resulting in atleast a few stitches needed then I could see the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission urging the recall of the saw or if Stihl was seeing a high number of warrenty claims to replace a part that was breaking / wearing and causing the sticky trigger. Which results in the company redesigning / molding the part in a different type of plastic & then issue a recall / service update, which ever they feel is best for their customers.  I hate how over shadowing the Feds have become.
Stihl's: 2-064AV's, 020T, MS 310
'93 Ford F-150 Lightning, '94 F-150 4x4, '92 F-150 4x4 '80 F-150 EFI 7.5L, '04 Expedition (Wife's)

SawTroll

Quote from: Roxie on December 23, 2010, 06:22:58 PM....
Description: The recalled chain saws have a rear-handle activated chain brake (C-Q version) and have an orange top casing, gray base, black handle and "STIHL MS 361C" printed in an orange circle on the side of the unit.

Well, I have often warned people about potential hazards with that design feature..... :)
Information collector.

Thank You Sponsors!