iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Those wonderfull old Husqvarna's...model 61 Ranchers thru 272XP's

Started by weimedog, December 23, 2010, 02:14:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

old 030

this one runs great with the 66 carb, it can be adjusted to four stroke at the same settings it should be at.........you hit me with that on everyone of these builds niko, and yes, i've used a 272 carb on more than one, all seam to run better with the smaller carbs and i stayed with them and have had no issues............BTW niko, do you know how long the 66's were sold and what years?

old 030

Quote from: weimedog on May 30, 2015, 07:55:56 AM
Looks pretty nice! I can say from looking at the pictures, that you will probably run into an issue I have seen if you run that saw hard..... the plug wire insulation breaks down where it is pulled tight to the cylinder and will drive you Crazy trying to figure out why it's not running the it did when you first built it....:) It's a tend with my builds..... fortunately the "new" OEM Husqvarna Ignitions from Brazil have the plug wire twisted into a threaded "spike" in the coil.... I've just put on 1inch longer plug wires and those issues go away....
thanks weime, the wire on this one wasn't tight, but thanks for the heads up on this issue, i'll look at my other two to see how they're do'n.........

SawTroll

Quote from: old 030 on May 30, 2015, 11:17:25 AM
this one runs great with the 66 carb, it can be adjusted to four stroke at the same settings it should be at.........you hit me with that on everyone of these builds niko, and yes, i've used a 272 carb on more than one, all seam to run better with the smaller carbs and i stayed with them and have had no issues............BTW niko, do you know how long the 66's were sold and what years?
The 66 carb should be fine, it is 17.5mm like the 272xp one.

As I remember it, the 66 was made from 1987 to 1991, when it was replaced by the non-xp 268, that used the same open port top end, but was based on the 268xp, and not the 266xp. Edit; IPLs were issued from 1987-06 to 1991-03, just checked.
However, production may have continued after 1991 on the Tomos factory in (by then) Slovenia, for some markets, mainly Eastern Europe. Accurate info on that is not availiable now - but I know that new ones were offered on the Internet as late as the early 2000s. Of course I don't know if they were NOS, or new. ;)

Btw, 266xp production also took place for about a decade at the Tomos factory, long after the model was replaced by the 268xp in the US, at least until 1997.
Information collector.

old 030

thanks Niko, great info, still it seams that with a four year run or more, these 66's shouldn't be so hard to find?........... ;D

Canadiana

Stumbled onto this thread today. What a gem. I think some of these posters have made a few references to this conversation but the references were too vague for me to pick up on. Its well received by me. Thanks
The saw is more fun than the purpose of the wood... the forest is trembling 🌳

Ted Addison

I enjoy an old 66 huskie as well, it has been my go to for years of tree removals here in Memphis. Thouroughly enjoyed reading about how to rehab them... I have always taken mine in to be serviced, but I may just try it myself next time.
Our <a href="http://www.besttreeservicememphis.com" > Memphis Tree Service</a> is the best group of experts in tree removal in the greater Memphis area.  We love the smell of sawdust in the morning!

weimedog

Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

MrWhoopee

Hello everyone, new to this forum and happy to be here.
My name is Craig and I live in Shingletown (roofing material, not skin condition), CA. I'm a full-time woodburner, in winter I burn it, the rest of the time I cut, split and stack it. I dream about wood at night and frequently drive off the road while scouting for it. Enough about me.

I have a 61 Rancher w/ 20 in. bar, which was my first gas chainsaw. I scored the piston about 4 years ago and was convinced that it would not make economic sense to pay to have it repaired. I bought a Redmax G5300, which has become my new, everyday saw. I could not, however, bring myself to part with the 61, it was just so clean and needed so little. With encouragement and guidance from my local saw mechanic, I cleaned up the cylinder and replaced the piston. I had it running great, but it saw little use since I had the Redmax.

I've decided I would like to do the 272xp upgrade on this saw. While I'm relatively new to 2-cycle motors and chainsaws, I'm a retired machinist and recovering shop owner, so I'm no stranger to mechanics and modifications.

I have gathered that I will need the 272xp piston, cylinder, intake manifold and carb. Beyond that, I'm unsure if I need anything else. Also, need advice on which brands of parts to get and which to avoid. While typing this, I ordered a Tillotson HS254B carb. Hard to believe they can be had that cheaply.

So I guess I'm asking for general suggestions and guidance to avoid having to learn the hard way.

TIA
Phineas J Whoopee

Burning pine & hoarding oak

Spike60

Hi Craig;

Since you already rebuilt the 61, you've already honed the skills to do the 272 upgrade. What needs to be added to your list are the 272 carb bolts, and intake gasket.

Big question is whether you have an orange, gray or white top on your 61. A white top will have some clearance issues with the spark plug, and you will have to cut the top to allow it to clear. Walt has explained that in one of the videos. Orange or gray tops will fit with no problem.

The 272 cylinder is also a little taller, which means the spark plug wire will be a little short. It will reach and fit the plug, but it may be in contact with the cylinder fins. Adding some insulation to the wire works as would finding one of those little clips that fit in the cylinder bolt hole and prevent the wire from contacting the cylinder.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

MrWhoopee

Quote from: Spike60 on May 23, 2017, 06:21:43 AM
Hi Craig;

Since you already rebuilt the 61, you've already honed the skills to do the 272 upgrade. What needs to be added to your list are the 272 carb bolts, and intake gasket.

Big question is whether you have an orange, gray or white top on your 61. A white top will have some clearance issues with the spark plug, and you will have to cut the top to allow it to clear. Walt has explained that in one of the videos. Orange or gray tops will fit with no problem.

The 272 cylinder is also a little taller, which means the spark plug wire will be a little short. It will reach and fit the plug, but it may be in contact with the cylinder fins. Adding some insulation to the wire works as would finding one of those little clips that fit in the cylinder bolt hole and prevent the wire from contacting the cylinder.

"Honed", good one! :D

Thanks, those are exactly the kind of tips I need. I know the carb bolts are M4 instead of M5, can you give me the length? I have a white top. I was reading elsewhere that the cover from a Jonsered (625?) will fit without modification. I'd prefer not to cut that white hat if possible.

Any advice on P&C. I know Meteor is the preferred, but they cost as much as the saw is worth. Looking for the sweet spot between high quality and low cost. There are some attractively priced kits with all the incidentals included.
Phineas J Whoopee

Burning pine & hoarding oak

sawdusty1

Still love my 31 year old Husky 181se.   It will out cut my new 372xp xtorq, but it is hell to pull to crank, expecially when it is cold.
Woodmizer LT15
Husqvarna 550xp
Husqvarna 372xp
Husqvarna 350
Husqvarna 55 Rancher
Husqvarna 181se
Kubota L4701

weimedog

Quote from: weimedog on December 23, 2010, 02:14:21 PM
As an extension of another question about this series of saws & are they a good saw.

The answer in my mind is ....YES they are a great old saw design. Not going to run with the new design's but will certainly cut wood fast enough to matter and are cheap and lots of fun to modify. Lots of parts interchangeability as well. Here is a picture of a few components...going to put a 272XP cyliner and piston on a 1978 era 61 Rancher. There are a few significant changes in the cases...so mixing the 272intake with the 61 rubber seal along with a few other things requires some creativity....like the cover. But...here's a pic of the project as it begins. All the 272 parts required and some of the parts replaced in this pic. Including...a 272XP Cylinder & Piston along with the 61 P&C. The 272XP intake tract along with the old 61's intake...going to assemble and mod as required to get it running first..then might go back and clean up the intake thru exhaust if there is any reason or interest...more an excercise in blending the two extreme's in this series of saws!

Saw a "frankensaw" post on Facebook and it brought back memories....this was the third "frankensaw" build for me, the first was based on C5 through C9 Homelites that had red and blue metal....prolly 5 years before this one. THESE were saws that I bought ( the 61) and eBayed some parts for "272 parts". The next set of "frankensaws" on this chassis were 268's from a guy names "hairybarker" through Spike60 . I remember not wanting to call them frankensaws because I already had used that names on the Homelites over at another site. How fast time goes by, remember this period and still have this saw :)

Point? Some people never learn, build a bunch of frankin372's last few years and before that 562 and 562's. Now BACK at the 562's and Bob for his part is doing Red Faced Frankinsaws on the autotune chassis.

Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

moodnacreek

Quote from: cheeves on November 24, 2013, 06:25:11 PM
Quote from: weimedog on December 25, 2010, 11:49:57 AM
All those 200 series Husqvarna's were well thought out simple and reliable! You know I honestly don't know if the 266 is on the same case as the 61, 268 and 272. I have a friend who is building what I think is a 262, and its a little smaller saw. Is the 266 built on that or is it yet another on the larger cases like the 272?

(BTW that 262 is a shocker on how well it runs & cuts! Amazing little saw)

And tube spacers inside the 61's muffler as we plod along....

Have a 262 that I converted from a 261! Got an original 262 muffler on Ebay and a three shoe clutch from Scott at Chainsawr.com along with a side cover and bar and chain! P/C came from Bailey's, Taiwan! Runs super and has cut a lot of firewood over the past 3 years!! Love it.
Frame is different from the 61,66, 68, and 72! But has 4.8 HP for little weight! Great for the old back!  :laugh:
I have the exact same thing. Hardly run it, just do mill cut offs. Neighbor had a hickory blow over, ran it for a day and screws out all over. It's a hot little saw but it is not a stihl.

DHansen

Great old tread to bring back to the top.  I have a 266XP from the late 80's bought it new and still have it.  Paid over $500.00 for it back then and it has never let me down.  Clutch hub needle bearings replaced once.  Exhaust screen/spark arrestor would restrict exhaust flow from time to time.  Eventually I just left it off.  It is the best sounding saw I have.  Much lower tone to the exhaust and sounds mean.  Would be the last saw I would want to lose. 

Spike60

THAT is cool! When you think of the gazillion saws that all of us own and talk about on these boards, original owner saws like yours are pretty rare. And they all have a unique history to go with them.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

DHansen

donbj

Nice saws DHansen! That 266 is one sweet unit, I'm drooling over it :D
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

DHansen

Thank you.  I was 23 when I bought that 266 XP.  I'm 58 now.  That was my only saw till the early 90's and I needed to pull a larger bar.  The 066 Stihl was my second saw.  Then my third saw came in 2007 that was the 339XP.  I have never sold a saw.  And have never let anyone else work on them or with them.  I'm weird that way.  

donbj

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

donbj

Here's my 262XP I bought new in 96. All original except the bar. It seems to like a 20" bar the best.

DHansen

Mountain_d

I am enjoying this topic. I have a few old saws I want to get back in service. A 61, 266xp and J red 625 ll. I have a few questions if anyone can help. Where is the best place to get parts on line? Sounds best to avoid the off shore knock off parts. So where are some good places to buy quality parts online? I have checked out PartsTree but they are temporarily stopped shipping to Canada. Also a question on tools. I think I will get a case splitter. What about the crank seal installer? Is this required? Is the depth of the seal recess that critical? Some of these tools seem hard to find for my saws. Two saws have air leaks to fix, and the 266xp needs piston, jug and crank bearing. I see these kits for sale with piston and jug etc for a good price but they are from off shore. Are they worth buying?
Thanks.
Mountain 
1978 TJ 230E 3.9L Cummins 4B, Husky 372XP, Husky 61, Husky 266XP, JRed 625, Husky 265RX clearing saw,  Woodmizer LT40HD 1995, Kubota 4950DT (53hp 4WD), Wallenstein V90 Skidding Winch, John Deere 610 backhoe, 1995 Volvo White GMC WCA42T SA Dump Truck, 2004 Ford F-250SD 4WD, , Central Boiler OW

mcourtney

What was the difference between the 298 , 2100 and 2101 saws ?

DHansen

Quote from: mcourtney on March 07, 2021, 02:36:42 PM
What was the difference between the 298 , 2100 and 2101 saws ?
Great question.  Hopefully someone with the information will come along and share it.  Reading the information in the sales catalog it says the 2101 has improved vibration dampening,  different carburation with a fixed jet and a oil pump designed to lubricate longer bars. 

Spike60

@Mountain_d, Those saws are all from the same family, so any tools you buy will cover the lot. Seal tools are nice, and not expensive. The important tool on those saws is the guide sleeve when sliding the oil pump/seal assembly on. Eliminates the chances of the spring dropping out of the seal. It's only a couple bucks and worth it. I'll drop in tomorrow with a couple of part numbers.

OEM top ends are limited to the 61, 268 open port and the 272XP, which is the obvious choice for that 266. I put a 272 kit on my 266 and it really rips. You could put a 272 kit on any of them including the Jonny. I turned a 625 into a "672". The knock off parts are hit and miss. In most cases the saw will run and cut wood, but even the ones that are OK still fall way short of OEM performance without alterations. In most cases, you have to delete the gasket in order to have any decent compression. Any more questions, this is the place to ask. :)
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Thank You Sponsors!