iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

redwood slab in Georgia

Started by Okrafarmer, December 23, 2010, 12:32:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okrafarmer

Hi, everybody-- long time no post-- sorry, I've had a bunch of junk going on I'd rather not get into, and haven't done much milling lately, until this week.

My question about this redwood slab is for a friend. He has this older slab of nice redwood. Sorry I don't have a picture yet, as soon as I get one, I'll add it. He is interested in selling it if he thinks he could get enough for it. He lives in northern Georgia. (Mods, I'm not trying to bypass the selling guidelines for FF. If we sell it through here, FF will get its cut. If he decides to sell it we can move this discussion to the selling thread.  :)  )

Here is what my friend said, describing the redwood slab:

The redwood is from the heart of the tree and is all clear. It is 3" x 35" x 93" and a beautiful piece of wood. I would think that a piece that large would be rather rare but maybe it is more common than I think. I would guess that this piece is about 50 years old.

So, if he sells it, he'll be looking for it to probably be a private buyer who would like it for personal or small-scale professional wood-working, as he probably wouldn't get as much for it whole-sale. So, what do you fellows think about its approximate value here on the east coast? Then again, how much would it bring in California, near the source? I do know enough of the back story to know that someone did bring it across the USA a long time ago. I'm trying to get someone to take a picture of it for me.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Just Me

I have made some tables out of redwood slabs and the price really depends on the piece. I have seen smaller [5"x3x6ish crotch cuts] go for several thousand, and I have seen plain grained slabs go for under a thousand, so it really depends on the character of the piece. The stuff is cheaper in California, but there are some people that don't know how to saw the stuff hacking up chunks, and there are properly sawn pieces for more money, but you should be able to get a premium back here in the east.

Many of the cheap ones out there had been sawn with bad cross grain and would not be strong enough. How is this one sawn? when you say 50 years old you mean sawn for 50 years, correct? The small crotchcut limb table I have in my living room is over 300 years old.......

Got pics?

Larrry

Okrafarmer

He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

SwampDonkey

Doesn't have to be very wide to be 300 years old. I've seen a single ash tree about that old, 25 rings to the inch, 20 dbh  = 250 years + 10 years to get to dbh height.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Bro. Noble

:D :D :D :D :D

I thought about that picture when I read the thread about trees people had carved their initials in.  I put mine on that log around 1959 or 1960.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

metalspinner

I'm just brainstorming a couple of questions here...

How was the wood stored?

Is it flat?

What is the condition of it's surface?

Is it planed or still rough cut?

Major cracks or checks?

These are obvious questions a customer will need answered.

If he has some woodworking skills, he might be able to get the most $$ by making a large table himself and selling it as a finished piece.  Or, donating the table could earn him a tax write-off.  I know that is not an incredible amount of money, but depending on the recipient, the goodwill and warm feeling in his heart might be payment enough. :)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Okrafarmer

We're trying to get a picture. My boss is heading near there and will take a picture soon if possible. I understand it to be rough cut. Hopefully he will at least look at it soon and send me a picture, or at least a detailed description. I understand it to be straight grained with no knots or burls, from heartwood.

beenthere

Its value likely less if straight-grained, with no burl wood. But still valuable to the right person.

Any idea the history of this slab?

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Okrafarmer

As I understand it, a man brought it to Georgia from California, intending to use it for some project, and never did do that, and ended up giving it to a friend of his before passing away. That friend is a friend of mine, or more to the point, a relative of a closer friend of mine, so I didn't hear it all first hand, except the excerpt I posted in the OP.

tyb525

Bro. Noble, are you saying you put your initials on that log way back when??
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Bro. Noble

Quote from: tyb525 on December 23, 2010, 07:00:39 PM
Bro. Noble, are you saying you put your initials on that log way back when??

Yep,  used to live close to Peoria and The Boy Scouts used to have a big Jamboree at Detweiler Park.  That sign must not have been there then or I surly wouldn't have been carving on it :D :D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

SwampDonkey

Some fella's consider signs an invitation.

Stuff like "keep out" and "keep off" are good at inviting. :D

Thank You Sponsors!