iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Magicwoman's Buck

Started by Magicman, December 21, 2010, 10:21:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

We had seen this old buck a few times and she finally decided to take him.  16½" inside spread 8 point, but unusually short tines.

Pat's 8 point.

A few of her antlers from the last couple of years.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Mark K

Nice buck! Looks like she's gotten some nice ones over the years.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

fishpharmer

Heck of a nice buck MM.   8)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Buck

Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

treefarmer87

1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

CX3

John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

Ron Scott

Very nice! and a good hunter.
~Ron

ErikC

Mrs. Magicman is no greenhorn! Those are nice bucks, and she takes a good picture after it's over as well ;)
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Roxie

Yes she does!  I'm not overly fond of deer meat, but around here the butchers make these things that taste just like slim jims, and they are wonderful.  Deer bologna is good, too.  Are you going to do up something like that with your meat? 

Say when

Magicman

Our Daughter and SIL got it.  They will steak and roast the loins, jerky some, and grind the rest.  With three children, it won't last long.

I used to process several deer a year, but no more.  Venison was really our mainstay with meat when we had three teenagers at home.  There are several pictures of antlers in my Gallery.  That antler ball is not sheds.  I just had to figure out a way of keeping them so I sawed them apart and started wiring them together.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Mooseherder

That is quite a collection of Antlers.
Mrs. MM appears to be a great hunter. :)

SwampDonkey

Nice deer harvest by the Mrs.  :)

I also notice a lifetime supply of antlers hanging in that shed if a fella was interested in turning a lathe.  Cough! ;D :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

CX3

Magic you should cut that old sawmill up for knife blades, deer antler handles, and go in business.  No overhead.  Overnight millionaire.  No really that is pretty danG neat
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

WDH

You could make Metalspinner happy with those antlers  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Norm

Way to go Mrs MM!

Now tell the truth, did she say "your not taking a picture of me without at least letting me comb my hair".

Magicman

:D :D  I've heard that before.  Thankfully in this case, we are not required to wear a hat.

Our antler size has increased greatly since the mid 90's when we decided to quit shooting small bucks.  We went a couple of years without even taking a buck.  Does only.  We can legally take 3 bucks per year and could easily do so, but we try to limit ourselves to only one.

I have about 200 acres on my South end that is off limits to hunting.  That provides a "sanctuary" for the deer.

The area inside of the red and below the brown spot in the center is the "sanctuary".

Ron Scott

~Ron

ErikC

Your plan looks like it's working pretty well :)
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

SwampDonkey

Can't help think that those deer are trotting and bounding from one woodlot to the other outside the "sanctuary". But, maybe many of your neighbors have the same philosophy of management.  :)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

You are absolutely right.  They are not fenced in, and can move freely about.  My neighbors to the West have been on a "Big Buck" program for years.  The North neighbor is trying to duplicate my efforts.

Sure, some get shot that we pass up, but some make it.  If we shoot it, it doesn't make it.  The increased antler size proves that our efforts are worthwhile.  

You can see the dates on some of these.  This represents my "one buck per year" for 12 years, plus a few of Pat's.

The small six point on the far left is my first buck.

Every buck was at least 3½ years old.  The oldest was 7½.   My signature picture buck was 3½ and was taken in 2007.

Raider Bill

Do you plant anything for them in that area?
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

SwampDonkey

Around here, since we have so few deer, the hunters believe that taking big bucks only just leaves the runt male deer. I couldn't tell you that is a result, I don't hunt and I still see nice buck deer once in awhile, but most are nocturnal before they come into fields or near roads. I see a lot of spike horns to. So that being said, I can't rubber stamp the hunter's claim.  I do know that trophy deer hunting in my grandfather's day did not cause the herd to decline or degrade all them years. Removing winter habitat sure did, big time.  ::) We have buck only hunting here and special doe tags in areas with more deer. Some areas have no deer hunting at all. The lakeside deer trails are vanishing and you couldn't walk in them now anyway. The timber was left along there and mostly falls down when everything is cut up to within 100-150 feet of a lake or brook.

Magicman

Raider Bill, those brown spots on the map and a few more are planted with Oats and Wheat in the Fall.  Some Rye Grass in the more wooded areas.  Crop failure this year due to Fall army worms. It was just so hot and dry.

I own inside of the red and lease the yellow.

SD, you are very correct.  Trophy hunting only is bad management.  I really didn't realize that this thread was going there, but that's fine.  I'm happy to discuss it.  Yes, we take out several "management" bucks each year.  Stuff that just isn't right.  Here are some examples:

In this last picture, the two on the left belong to one deer, and the two on the right belong to another.  All of these deer clearly needed to be removed from the herd.

Raider Bill

Aside from the racks what are wrong with those bucks?
Is a genetic trait that passes on?

On my property I'm trying to get the proper feed planted giving them something else to eat besides whatever it is they eat in the wild around there.

I planted a few acres of fescue grass and some clover so far. bought the wheat seed but didn't get it down in time.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Magicman

I guess genetics but then I'm not a Biologist.  I assume that they were brothers.  The right antler was messed up on one and the left on the other.  I had tried to get them the year before when they were spikes.  They were messed up then.

Thank You Sponsors!