iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building a base for my LT15

Started by coggie59, December 21, 2010, 09:43:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coggie59

I'm looking for some ideas on how to build a base for the LT. how high up ? what makes for the most sturdy. How is yours set up? Warmed up to a balmy -25 F  8)

whitepe

I put my LT15 on treated 2 x 6's  which are screwed to 4 short sections of railroad ties.
I'll take a picture when the sun comes up.  I just put the 2 x 6's in place this last summer.
Just had it on the railroad ties since 2003 when I bought the LT15.  This is about the
right height so that I don't have to bend over to far to clamp logs and pull the final few boards.
I use the loader on my compact utility tractor to load small logs.    When a log starts
to approach 20 inches in diameter then my loader doesn't have enough capacity so I use
the LT15's loading ramps and use a come-along attached to a tree and put a chain underneath
the log to roll it up the ramps.   I haven't had the 2 x 6's in place very long and
I need to check if any "critters" have taken up residence underneath.
Gee,  I need to pull my battery and take into my shop to put on the trickle charger.  I don't
do very much milling in the cold weather and the battery doesn't stay charged if I don't do that.
I am on my 2nd battery.  The original lasted from 2003 until 2009.  I guess that's not too bad.

'
blue by day, orange by night and green in between

VT-Woodchuck

This past summer I had my LT15 set up to mill about 3,500 bdft of pine and about 1,000 bdft of cherry. I put down concrete chimney blocks (free) and then 6x6, then the leveling feet. Probably around 16" off the ground. Some of the pine and one of the cherry were over 30" diameter. It made for moving slabs/lumber easier but put the cutting band at eye level for some cuts - had to wear goggles! I would rather go a little high as opposed to low.

taylorsmissbeehaven

I put my Lt 15 on railroad ties and then crossed over them with 2x6 at the feet. I feel like the feet are a little wobbly on the end where they are longest(almost fully extended). I'm thinking about dropping it down but I agonized with the wm book trying to get it just right and was really ready to cut some wood. This would also make it lower, and my back doesn't like the sound of that!
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

KyTreeFarmer

I have mine on 6x6's stacked 2 high, across the mill at each leg set bottom one buried about half way in the ground. I ran a 2x6 lengthwise under the legs with a hole cut through it for the legs to set in to keep it from sliding around. It is a good height for me. 6x6's are spiked together with 10 inch long nails. I check for level ocassionaly and just adjust the legs if needed.
KTF
Woodmizer LT15G
Belsaw from Sears & Roebucks
8N Ford
87 Kubota 2550 W/FEL

fred in montana

I was in a hurry to get started sawing so I "temporarily" set mine on 18-24" diameter pieces of firewood. That was  18 months ago. Still working fine!

woodmizer lt15, mf 65 tractor
logdovetailjig.com

Thank You Sponsors!