iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Visual Basic

Started by DouginUtah, December 21, 2010, 04:52:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DouginUtah

Just wondering if there are any Visual Basic programmers on the forum.

If so, what level? Novice, intermediate, pro; hobby, business?

I played around with it for about five years but gave it up when I came down with my melanoma cancer in 2003. Now I am trying to pick it up again but realize that I am back at square one.

You may not know that Visual Basic 2010 Express edition is available for free from Microsoft, and there are many Youtube videos which are very helpful in getting started, like www.schoolfreeware.com .

I'm just working on trivial stuff now, trying to build up my skill level.
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

beenthere

In general, what are the applications where Visual Basic is used/applied?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Busy Beaver Lumber

Doug

I have done some visual basic programming along with C++, mostly in the control of test equipment used to test out weather satellites where I work. It is quite a fun language to program in. I am sure it will come back to you quickly
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

DouginUtah

Quote from: beenthere on December 21, 2010, 05:24:37 PM
In general, what are the applications where Visual Basic is used/applied?

Mainly utility programs but some impressive applications can be written in Visual Basic.
Examples are on my Downloads page of my website.
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

Warbird

I code.  These days more hobbyish.  Wouldn't even claim the title of 'programmer' now.  Never really got into VB.  I was always more of a C/C++/bash/Perl/Assembler guy.

submarinesailor

In the early 70's, I use to program in RPN, Reverse Polish Notation:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_Polish_notation

Bruce

Raider Bill

Anyone here write in file maker/lasso?
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

cpstrutt

I have done a little VBA coding.  Most of what you want to do has already been done and there are examples on the internet.  I get most of my code from examples and then modified as needed.  Rarely do I start from scratch.

SwampDonkey

I would be novice, but have used one form of basic or another over the years. Visual basic is at the core of Microsoft Access, although it's not a requirement to be able to use Access. But, it allows you to write a few things that the GUI does not allow you to do. It is also used on mobile devices such as with ArcPAd, a mobile GIS program for GPS equipped computers. You can join a VB newsgroup through your email client to get help from others.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!