iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Zippo Handwarmer

Started by Reddog, December 21, 2010, 12:42:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reddog

Has any one tried or used one of the new ones made this year or last?
Wondering how well it worked and is lasting.

http://www.zippo.com/products/handWarmer.aspx

Jeff

Yes, I have an Eggimann branded one and it works nicely. The only problem with them is, is you wish they came in pairs.

Reading this again, mine may have been made before the dates specified.  It was new to me a year ago this past hunting season.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

gary

I haven't used that one. I have had a bunch of the ones that use lighter fluid though. They were a pain with having to fill them and spilling lighter fluid,the smell was terrible and they would go out then you had to relight  them. I prefer the chemical ones. I get the big body size ones and the foot warmers.

Reddog

Quote from: Jeff on December 21, 2010, 02:38:37 PM
The only problem with them is, is you wish they came in pairs.

:D That is why I  was asking, already figured you needed one for each pocket.

Quote from: gary on December 21, 2010, 05:54:51 PM
They were a pain with having to fill them and spilling lighter fluid,the smell was terrible

I already carry a Zippo lighter while hunting, so no big deal filling them. To many years around Diesel fuel, lighter fluid hardly smells to me.

CX3

When hot hands and toasty toes are only a few bucks a dozen theres no way im putting an open flame in my hunting coat, let alone smell like a spilled jug of diesel sitting in the tree. 
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

SwampDonkey

Years ago I had the kind you lit a stick. It was like having a piece of charcoal in your pocket, heat and all. :D I was never cold and if having to sit in the bush I usually build a nice fire in front of a lean too under which the smoke most always gravitated. I had one lean to on the woodlot I was known to visit even in a snow storm. :D

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,7164.0.html
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Reddog

Quote from: CX3 on December 21, 2010, 11:58:36 PM
When hot hands and toasty toes are only a few bucks a dozen theres no way im putting an open flame in my hunting coat, let alone smell like a spilled jug of diesel sitting in the tree. 

Well thanks, but that really does not answer any of my questions ::)

beenthere

Quote from: Reddog on December 21, 2010, 12:42:30 PM
Has any one tried or used one of the new ones made this year or last?
Wondering how well it worked and is lasting.

http://www.zippo.com/products/handWarmer.aspx

No to the question.
Give it a try and fill us in on how well the "new" ones work.
Any idea what is "new" about them?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ErikC

I have not tried a new one. I had an older type I didn't care for at all.
We have packs now that are a gel chemical, with a metal tab in there. crinking the tab a few clicks activates it, they stay hot for 6 hours or so while the gel gradually turns solid, and you can reuse them by boiling until the gel is clear again. They look a little like those ice packs for lunches, about 3x5 inches.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Reddog

Quote from: beenthere on December 22, 2010, 11:02:55 AM
Any idea what is "new" about them?

No that is what makes me wonder.

Quote from: ErikC on December 22, 2010, 11:34:52 AM
  We have packs now that are a gel chemical, with a metal tab in there. crinking the tab a few clicks activates it, they stay hot for 6 hours or so while the gel gradually turns solid, and you can reuse them by boiling until the gel is clear again.

I have used those and much prefer them to the disposable kind. I just get tired of boiling them every night.

ErikC

Boiling them is kind of a hassle. I like them because space is limited on pack trips, and you never run out.
There is one good thing about boiling them--- You can do it right before you get in your bedroll, and they stay hot a good while from the boil without re-activating them. Warms up the feet at night, and the hands during the day. :) :)
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Chris Burchfield

Reddog, I believe CX3 was referring to the chemical pack hand warmers.  This is a good link http://www.warmers.com/ and most sporting goods stores and departments carry them or a brand like them.  No flame, no smell and cheap enough per outing.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

Reddog

Quote from: Chris Burchfield on December 23, 2010, 02:08:52 PM
Reddog, I believe CX3 was referring to the chemical pack hand warmers.    No flame, no smell and cheap enough per outing.

I am trying to keep from filling the landfills with disposable stuff. :(
I can buy Naptha buy the gallon to fill a liquid fired, and recycle the steel can when empty.  :)

Burlkraft

Why not just 1 pain free day?

Jeff

I ain't thought of Wally Gator in years and years.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Reddog

CX3

Yes the chemical handwarmers.  And they are nearly 95% biodegradable.  That is pretty green if you ask me.  Unlike the burning of non-renewable fossil fuels.
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

Thank You Sponsors!