iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sap buildup on bandsaw blade

Started by Papa Dave, October 24, 2001, 09:07:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

L. Wakefield

In terms of safety- the saw I have has the electrical parts in a non-sealed area beneath the blade and table- so washing is out. I did wiping and sweeping.

Back off-topic- I am so bummed out!!! I was just doing laundry- the husband put in a freezer in the cellar last year and cuz of the old 2-prong outlets down there, he led an extension cord up around and plugged it in behind the dryer upstairs. He said just a month or so ago- 'I'm asking for trouble, sooner or later someone will unplug that and I'll lose my meat.'

Well, you guessed it. I was looking over the area as I cleaned it off (a moracle in itself)- and the cord was UNPLUGGED. So I went down and looked- and it probably was at least a week- all completely melted and rank. FORTUNATELY we are at the low ebb- no beef, most of the deer gone, and a lot of last years' moose used- but not all. Mike is off on a hunting trip (catered spoil-your-ass-rotten at King and Bartlett..) so he won't know til Sunday.

I just plugged it back in. I won't be cleaning it out by myself.. but now I also have to identify the culprit.. :( >:( lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

L. Wakefield

Hey Jeff!!! On a lighter note- this thread seems to me to be almost an all-time high in terms of # of times read! Do you have stats on the most popular threads- most read, most replies, etc? I bet this one scored big partly because of the food aspect. :D  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Jeff

I think the funny story thread is actually by far the most read thread. Everyone should take the time to read through that. We could publish a book from that thread I bet.

About bandsaws and meat. Never use a saw to cut venison! Bone dust is one of the culprits other then tallow and connective tissue that taint the flavor of speed beef.

Tammy and I never touch a deer with a saw. The whole process is handled by de-jointing and de-boneing, and removing all non-meat tissue. Tammy processes on the average of 15 to 20 deer a year, because thats all we can handle. We have customers that give thier deer away if Tammy can't cut it up. Most have wives that hated venison till persauded to taste a properly processed animal. Not a "butchered" one from a meat market or normal deer processing business.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

L. Wakefield

'Speed beef'? Is that like 'center line bovine'? I agree about deboning venison. In light of the 'mad cow' scare, it probably is best to avoid cutting any bone in the ungulate species which encases nervous tissue- so that would include the chops and anything from along the backbone.  lw

Tom

Mad Cow Disease,

Now that makes me ask about cutting bone.  I thought the disease was all over the cow. Is it just in the bone? or just in the nerves?  Is it killed by cooking? is it a toxin or a being?

I would be in dire straights without an occassional pot of Backbone or neckbone and rice.

swampwhiteoak

QuoteI would be in dire straights without an occassional pot of Backbone or neckbone and rice.

Your breakfasts sound good Tom, but I'm not so sure about supper.

Tom

A wonderful dish, Swamp.  Especially when there are a lot of hungry mouths and and a thin paycheck.

Boil Neckbones or backbones (we use generally pork but beef works good too) in water with salt and black pepper until the bone gets soft enough that a fork can be forceably shoved into it.  Dice up an onion and put it in there until it is at least clear. The water level must be kept to a fairly high level while this is going on because when the onion is done you put rice in the pot using the broth as the liquid and cook it until it is done and separated but not necessarily fluffy.

Serve with biscuits or fried cornbread and lots of sweet tea.
It is bone-knawing good.and will feed an army on a pittance.

L. Wakefield

OK, to the best of my knowledge- mad cow disease is a BSE- bovine spongiform encephalitis. Bovine is cow, spongiform is what happens to the brain tissue, and encephalitis is the clinical condition that makes them 'mad'- uncoordinated and ultimately, dead.
   A sheep form is scrapie (the sheep slowly get weaker and less coordinated and lean against the fences- scraping their sides raw- (I guess this is different from normal sheep behavior??), the disease that the cannibals used to get from eating each others brains' is (I think) kuru, and the regular western world human form is Kreutzfeld-jacob disease. All are the result of what they used to call 'slow viruses' and sometimes refer to as 'prions'. They are bits of DNA (?) (I'm not taking time to look this up for total accuracy, just spilling my guts as I often do here at extravagant length and dubious value)- that are somehow coated or protected- not by the conventional virus form, but in a way that makes them immune to inactivation by normal cooking temps. If you eat nervous tissue infected by this stuff- you could be infected and at some future date (it is 'slow', hence the term slow virus) you will show signs much like the animal- tremor, incooordination, damage to brain tissue, a dementia (I believe), and eventual death. And nobody should eat your brain either- cooked or raw.. We don't generally practice that type of ritual insanity anyway, thank God.

When they did the first work on this in the '70s, they already had the sheep and the cannibal examples, and the Kreutzfeld-Jacob disease was being related to them. The cannibal example showed tranmissibility in humans- I think at that point K-J was thought to be inherited(?)- but I don't think anyone knew of transmission from other species to humans. And I didn't hear of mad cow disease in that context at that time.

Several of the hunting mags this year talked about the wild ungulate population having a form of this- so to me brain is out, and the same thing with the spinal column. As for the long bones of the limbs- well, with game I just cut the meat off anyway. You do have peripheral nerves throughout the body. What I don't remember is whether BSE is in the gray matter only- in which case it would be in the brain and the spinal cord but not out in the peripheral nerves. hmm. If I get the chance to look it up I'll get back to you.

Quite a shift of gears from muddling along about anthrax. ::)
    lw

Tom

Hmm, muddling, that's the 2nd time today.  I think I like that word.

woodmills1

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

swampwhiteoak

QuoteA wonderful dish, Swamp
Until the day when I'm very hungry and someone plops that dish in front of me, I'll just have to take your word for it, Tom. ;)

Jeff_Green

8) 8) 8)  If you really want to treat yourself slice some liverwurst (thick) and place in between two slices of multigrain bread covered with REAL mayonaise, throw in a few dill pickle chips and some fresh onion .......... HMMMMMM!!! ..... Now wash that down with a very cold glass of 1 or 2% Milk ........ Or you can make a run down to Louisiana and pick up some boudan (sounds like boo dan) - Don't know what's in it and don't want to - It's like a little heaven on earth!!!! (although I did eat 5 lbs of it one day and spent the next three days in the hospital with tubes stuck in me!!) ....... I tried grits twice .... Yuck!! .... Must have been a conspiricy between cooks!!! :-X :-/ :'(

L. Wakefield

Quotesheep scrapple sounds silly 8)

Yes- sounds like the best they can do at playing soccer or something. I wish I could draw farside comix and post them. But the sheep I'm picturing are animated- or as animated as sheep get.. :o  lw

Papa Dave

I bet liverwurst would be good for keeping the sap off of the blade!!!  :D :D :D

Bibbyman

I was going through some old posts and came across this one that hadn't been added to in a long time.  It started out a simple enough question but then some fool made a mistake of mentioning that staple food of the Dixie - GRITS and the whole topic got derailed.

There are a few new members who maybe haven't dug to the bottom of all the post and maybe a few of us who have "Old Timer's" that may enjoy reading some of the posts again.

For best results,  start with page 1.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

DanG

Thanks for dredging this one up, Bib. I got so hongry reading it, I ate a jelly donut left over from yesterday's shaft...er..staff meeting.

Wonder what happened to Papa Dave?  He is from this area, and I was looking forward to meeting him, then he just disappeared. ???
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Fla._Deadheader

BOUDAN. Now that stuff is worth fightin for.  Yessirreeeeee
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Russ

when I changed from soap & water to keosene I started having problems. The tire's on my mill abosorbed the keosene and stretched.

Tom

Russ,
That is why I use water instead of petroleum products on my blades.  My V belt on my WoodMizer got so tight I had to cut it off.  I was also concerned about the hydraulic hoses, etc.

Water's cheaper too, and readily available. :D

CHARLIE

Thanks Bibbyman!  I just reread the whole thing and sure did enjoy it.  I do wonder what happened to Papa Dave. He said he wanted a hat and then stopped at 76 posts. I hope nothing bad happened to him. ::)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Weekend_Sawyer

Cooscoos, I just discovered it... Mabe someone else noticed it too. It is right there in the stores! It's pretty good and easy to make for a guy on the go. It looks kinda like grits.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

ARKANSAWYER

Now I am so DanG hungry I forgot what I was going to talk about lubing something.  All I got to say now is that 'round these parts gravy is a fork food.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Bibbyman

Most every guy probably thinks their mom is the best cook there ever was.  Well,  I can't say that.  Mom gets so mad every time she makes a family dinner - someone will make fun of her white gravy.  It's surely thick enough to stand a spoon in - even when hot.  Sometimes,  you have to mix in mashed'taters just to thin 'um down.  Mom only cooks meat one way - burnt done.

One thing Mom can fix better than Mary and that's wild mushrooms.  Mary don't get the grease hot enough to get them crisp.  (Don't tell Mary I said I told y-all that.)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Nikolaysi

Tree sap is a very unusual material. Sometimes it acts as a liquid, sometimes as a crystal. If you ever held a piece of black tar, the kind used to make asphalt, you may have noticed that if you squeeze it slowly it is pliable like play dough. But if you drop it on a hard floor it will shatter like glass. It becomes brittle when acted upon at high speed. Tree sap is similar. I've been using with great success a wire brush attachment for a cordless drill. Very light pressure but high speed. Normally sticky, nasty stuff turns into dust. Completely effortless and takes less than a minute. Hope this helps someone. 

Thank You Sponsors!