iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sap buildup on bandsaw blade

Started by Papa Dave, October 24, 2001, 09:07:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

L. Wakefield

Lutefisk i had read about- NO ONE says anything nice about it- one of those tribal things that you love to hate..but bannock bread is in principle a very useful thing- bread without the oven. Much like scones- another Scottish version.
                      lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

L. Wakefield

And grits- I don't care if I'm from Maine- I love 'em. I think it was the red-eye gravy and the eggs that put me over the edge on this one. The grits are just the absolutely necessary counterpoint. I just can't understand how people can stand to add salt to red-eye gravy tho :o :o...If you don't have red-eye you can do alright with butter and salt and pepper- but it's not the same..lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Papa Dave

Well, Tom it looks like all the experts have come through and solved the problem of removing sap from the blade.

Now, the question is, when are you going to cook breakfast for us.  I am a southern boy and dearly love my grits and sausage and ham and bacon and biscuits and cane syrup. ;D ;D ;D

Tom

;D ;D ;D me too, just come knock on the door.  If it's one thing I like to do it's eat.  More like a sport to me and I don't need much of an excuse. ;D ;D ;D

Papa Dave

Well, Tom, we can eat breakfast with you in Florida and then we will have to hurry and go eat dinner with Charlie in Minnesota.

Charlie said they have panfish with grits and hushpuppies and guava jelly.  Sounds just like home in North Florida.  Only we had cheese grits.

Charlie may be a transplant from Florida. :D

Tom

Hey Papa Dave,  You hit it right on the button.

Charlie is my little brother and we both hail from Ft. Pierce originally.  He went to work for IBM in the late 60's after a stint with the railroad and was assigned to Inventory control for System 3's.

IBM, for some ungodly reason, closed the System 3 shop in Boca Raton where Charlie was working and "offered" him, along with the others, a job with the new System 3 shop in Rochester, Minn.  

Charlie measured his current salary against the raise he would get by accepting unemployment compensation and decided to move his family to Minn.

His only concern at the time was where he could get some grits.  It took a long time but the local grocery saw the writing on the wall when all these Southern boys walked in wanting to know where the Grits shelf was.  

He says that he can buy them there now but they aren't the same as the Water Ground Brands we are used to down here.

He buys some when he visits here and I must make note to send him some in a "care package".

Grits is....are....? ?  one of the few things he has retained from his childhood. Now he tells me about Kilbosa (?), blood sausage, brains, Heavy coats and snowshoes..  I don't understand it all but I pretend. :)

Papa Dave

I thought something was fishy.  The guava jelly is made in Florida, you know.  By the way, have you ever tried Swamp Cabbage with the fish and grits and hushpuppies?

Eggsander

Oooh, a ring of kielbasa steamed on a pile of hashbrowns and onions. Now your talking.  8)
Man I can't believe Charlie fell for that old lutefisk bit. Of course them Norwegians try it on everybody. My old man ( a Dane by birth) always said that lutefisk is just perfectly good torsk ruined!  ::)
I'm with y'all on the red eye gravy, my first intruduction to it was by a southern lady in the hills in northern GA. But I believe I'll keep taken it over them biscuits.  :)
If I was to walk into the store here and ask for grits, I'd end up with a sack of stuff to throw on the driveway to keep from slippin on the ice. What the heck's a hominy anyway? Must be some kinda corn or somethin. Might have try 'em once just because, but I don't think I could give up my potatoes. A man's got to have his potatoes. 8)
Steve

CHARLIE

MMmmmm mmmm!  Biscuits!  I luvs biscuits. Ya gotta start off the meal eatin' biscuits with butter, then ya have to finish the main course by using biscuits to sop up the plate and then you pour cane syrup on a biscuit for dessert. Now that's eatin'!8) 8) 8)

I love swamp cabbage too. I bet most Yanks ain't never even heard of it. You're right Papa Dave, swamp cabbage and fish or swamp cabbage and venison, or swamp cabbage and hog or swamp cabbage and swamp cabbage. I'm droolin' ;D

Eggsander, what I don't understand 'bout these Scandies up here. They say they won't eat grits but will eat cornmeal mush.::) ::) ::)  I think they're afraid to try grits 'cause they might like'em.  One thing I did notice is that some restaurants down south don't know how to fix grits. Some of 'em make e'm too soupy and some forget to put salt in it. I figure it must be a cook from the northern persuasion that just doesn't know how to cook good grits. No wonder some northerners don't like grits, 'cause they are probably tastin' some fixed by somebody that just don't know any better. >:(
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Don P

Hominy: corn thats been lyed to  :D

My computer was downloading an update so I scared up this description while waiting for it.
http://www.mtnlaurel.com/Recipes/hominy.htm

Or those unsuspecting northerners got served instant grits, about the same as calling Tang orange juice.

I went into a restaurant while we were starting a job and saw the lumberjack's breakfast and ordered it without looking too hard at the details. Three plates appeared from the kitchen with pancakes, hash browns, eggs, bacon, sausage,grits, toast. Over the next hour and 2 pots of coffee I damaged myself, but having been raised right, always clean my plate and compliment the cook. About the time I saw the light at the end of the tunnel the waitress appeared apologizing for her forgetfulness...as she set down a plate of biscuits and gravy. :'(

My sister spent a year in Norway on a student exchange. She got a little tired of so much fish and so little fresh produce. She ended up at the doc's after gorging on veggies and fruit her first day home. ::)

Bibbyman

You know,  Mary was raised on a farm in upper Illinois - almost on the Wisconsin border. ???  She says her mom would make grits (may have called them something else) and would let a bread pan full set until it was firm enough to slice. ;D  She would then fry the slices - I would assume in sausage or bacon grease.  Sounds good to me! ;)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

CHARLIE

Well, I reckon you can have fried grits in the north too.  I luv fried grits (hmmmmmm, seems like I luv dang near any food......'cept lutefisk).  We never made grits to just fry.  The way it's done in the south is, you make a huge pot of grits, then what is left over is sliced and fried the next day. We always just fry it in bacon grease, but some people get fancy and dip the sliced grits in egg and then fry it. :o 8) 8) 8)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Gordon

Ok after reading about all this good food I'm quite hungry.  ;D

Grits --if they are cooked up right are great, if not well that goes with out saying.

Ok here is something that they make around here and is actually good. They call it mush. It consists of cornmeal and flour, water, milk. Mixed up thick and bake for awhile in a pan. Then slice thin and pan fry. Serve with tomato gravy. Tomato sauce, milk, flour, sugar. Sort of a sweet tomato soup.

Kilbosa and blood sausage are both good as well.

I've been lucky enough in life to live in a few different states. Both in the north and the south. Each state has it's own sort of menu of local foods. What is everyday fare in some places would leave an upturned nose in others and vice versa.

Here is something that the kids like and never heard of until moving to DE. It's called cracker soup. Heat milk and then crush saltines into the milk until desired thickness is obtained. Never had it but the kids love it. Makes ya wonder.

My favorite meal of the day is breakfast followed by supper.  Well if were having something good for supper then supper might be my favorite. I love all food!

On the subject of sap buildup. If your syrup pours too slow just heat it up alittle.  8)

Gordon

Papa Dave

My most favorite meals are breakfast, lunch and dinner/supper. I like snacks too.  In fact, I am like Charlie & Tom, I like most anything good. 8) 8)

L. Wakefield

OK, here's a couple..SCRAPPLE! Cornmeal with pork scraps..you cook the pork in water til you have pork bits and a broth. Then you put in the cornmeal, some seasoning, cook til thick, and let it set in bread pans. Cool, slice, and fry. Ecellent when fried til the little bits get crispy and then you pour a little maple syrup over it. Some folks object to the meat in it- call it 'hairy scrapple'- but I say that part is what's good when they just get crispy/cruncy and brown. I haven't butchered hogs in about 8 years. Never started keeping them, up here in Maine. My regular mess is bad enough- with hogs you make a PROFESSIONAL, executive level mess.

Now what was the other things- pales in comparision- oh yes- kielbasa- but you cook it with potatoes and kraut. Boil the kielbasa with the potatoes and do the kraut on the side. Better than New England boiled dinner, and that's saying a lot!

A virtual feast, folks! Think I can feel the poundage going on just thinking about it! :D :D :D              lw

Tom

Scrapple, oh yeah, that was another one Charlie was telling me about.  He didn't know what was in it though.  I've heard that brains make their way into it and If that is true then I would have to tippy toe into scrapple to find out just how good they were.  Sounds good.  I like little pieces of meat that get fried crispy. mmmm

Kielbasa and Kraut kinda, maybe, a little bit, sorta reminds me of Collards and pork chops.  See, you put a collards into a pot till they are heaped over the top, put a lid on and cook them down till the lid closes the pot.  Then you put in a smoked ham hock and salt and boil them some more  .....maybe 2 or 3 hours, then you put seasoned pork chops on top of them and cook for another half hour or better till the pork chops are tender.  mmmmmmm  that's good with a great big glass of sweet ice tea and biscuits.

We need a "plump" smiley.

CHARLIE

Yep LW, Scrapple is gooooood..........'specially with grits! ;D
Charlie

Bibbyman

O.k.  Now how does Scrapple compare to Cracklings?   ::)

Ain't Cracklings what's left over from rendering down lard? :D

B.T.Y.  Last I was in South Boston, VA,  I went into a gas station/convenience store there.  I began to notice about a hundred varieties of fried pork rinds.  :o  I can't begin to list all the styles, colors and flavors available there.  They must really enjoy their fried pork rinds.

8) 8)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Papa Dave

Either one would be good with grits. ::) I have eaten both and it is a totally different experience.  But they are both good. :D

CHARLIE

Well Bibbyman, cracklin' is pig skin that's been fried up. It's sorta chewy, so you can chew on a piece of cracklin' for quite awhile if ya wanna. My grandma used to make Cracklin' Bread, which was like a HUGE biscuit full of bits of cracklin'.  She'd mix up the dough and cook it in a cast iron skillet on the stove. She'd use a plate to get it turned over during cooking.  Cracklin' might be good to help keep the sap from building up on bandsaw blades too.::) ;D

Pork rinds must be made by using intense heat, cause I never saw Grandma make pork rinds. We always bought them in the store. I luvs to munch on pork rinds.......  Now, I don't think they would clean up a bandsaw blade unless it was by friction.::)

Scrapple is more akin to a finely ground pork sausage ('cept it has cornmeal init) that is compressed into a cube. Then ya slice it and fry up the slices.  I think Scrapple is a Pennslyvania Dutch dish. But if you like sausage, you'll like scrapple......'specially if you have a plate of grits with it. ;D  I don't think it would clean sawblades either......best stick with the cracklin' for that. ;)
Charlie

Jeff

Thats it Charlie. Toe the line. Don't let this thread get off course on little bit.  I had the sense that it was starting to wander a little, but thanks to you it's still right on track. ;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Papa Dave

Well, it has been a real close call. I was beginning to worry about the sap on the blade.  Glad to see that everyone still was trying to solve the problem. :D :D :D

Eggsander

Oh, I see now. I was confused because I thought this thread was about syrup buildup on your blade when your cutting your grits, ....or your bannok, ..........or something like that. I know it wasn't lutefisk cuz ya can't cut that with a blade........You know come to think of it, why would someone cut their dinner with a band saw anyway? Oh well, I think I'll just browse through some other threads here on The Pantryforum.  ;)
Steve

L. Wakefield

So OK- while we're on the topic (inasmuch as we ARE on the topic)- I do have a bandsaw on my porch. (Not part of a mill, it was for metal or wood and came out of a tech school woodshop in NC years ago.) It's not working now, but that's another story. When it WAS working, it was either for wood- OR- when I was butchering, it was a valuable adjunct for my butchering. Never had bought a power meat saw, and if it's a question of using a hand meat saw for beef, I'll usually go the boneless route. BUT- to do chops and etc, it's totally excellent to have the stuff bout half frozen- (I hang beef for a week or so at 34-38*F ideally) and then zing it thru the bandsaw. After that, you really DO have to clean the blade and everything else. The fat piles up gruesomely. Lets you know that if you were going to do it often, you'd want a  bona fide, easy-to-clean power saw designed for just that purpose.

Chops are good, but... for freezer space, I tend to go the boneless route more often. Same with moose. Now if I had the technology for making bone meal, it'd be good.. I like recycling.           lw

Tom

Got a customer with a bandsaw in the meat house on his farm and he keeps a hose with a nozzle handy to wash the saw down intermittantly.  The water and scraps fall out a chute under the saw to a washtub outside that he empties when he's through. He's real proud of his mechanization.  Guess it doesn't take much to entertain some of us.

The difference in a wood saw, meat saw and metal saw, I've been told, is basically the speed of the band.  You may be able to figure out what it was before you got it by calculating the fpm of the band. ' Course, if it works, who cares, right?

Thank You Sponsors!