iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Twisted power feed chain

Started by WV Sawmiller, June 23, 2021, 07:54:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

I did my 900 hour service on my WM LT35 this afternoon and had to adjust the chain the power feed runs on a little. I had to tighten it a couple of turns to raise it about 1/2" to keep it in spec listed in the manual. I noticed the chain had about a quarter turn of twist in it. Have any of you noticed anything like this on your feed chain or do you have any idea what is causing it? The mill seems to run fine on it but I just never noticed a twist in it before.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Southside

Can you turn the chrome end retainer enough to straighten it out?
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WV Sawmiller

I can turn it enough to straighten the middle but then it is twisted at the end next to the connector for several feet.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

I am assuming that your carriage rolls freely from end to end with the power feed disconnected?

Your "twisted" description indicates that the chain is stretched and it is probably wearing the feed sprockets a bit but since it was not causing an obvious problem, I would continue to use it.  When the time comes, replace the chain and sprockets.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Sawmill Man

Sounds like he has a kink in his chain, dropping a heavy slab down the side could do it. Have had it happen a time or two. I bought a roll of chain and just replaced the kinked part.
"I could have sworn I went over that one with the metal detector".

WV Sawmiller

I think Sawmill Man gets the award as the chain was stretched on my log cabin job by a tractor fork and possibly by a big poplar log that was rolled off the side - intentionally on to the forks of the waiting tractor only she backed up at the last minute and dropped the log.
Howard Green

Thank You Sponsors!